or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Most Overrated Musical Artists
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most Overrated Musical Artists - Page 30

post #436 of 587
Lady GaGa
King Crimson
Drive By Truckers
Kanye West
Coldplay
post #437 of 587
-Bob Dylan

-The Beatles

-Sting

-The Strokes (one hit wonders)

-Coldplay (the more famous they are, the more mediocre they become)

-Phil Collins

-Most rappers if not all

-Madonna (the last 15 years)

-Lady Gaga and all her clones
post #438 of 587
Enrique Iglesias U2
post #439 of 587
Johnny Cash. Anytime I hear people praising him I wonder if it's because he's a safe choice. But who listens to him, really? "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die". Yeah, real hardcore of you, Cash.
post #440 of 587
  • Widespread Panic - maybe the 15th best band to come out of Athens, Georgia but revered by its fans as perhaps the best band ever;
  • Pink Floyd - After Syd Barrett's departure, the band became a vehicle for broadcasting Roger Waters' boring neuroses (while "Dark Side of the Moon" was great, most of their other output is sheer tripe);
  • Ray LaMontagne - why this guy is popular is a mystery;
  • Phish - See Widespread Panic above;
  • Dave Matthews Band - The only thing that he's ever done that I've liked was his spot-on impression of Ozzy on "Saturday Night Live".
post #441 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarandas View Post
-Bob Dylan -The Beatles -Sting -The Strokes (one hit wonders) -Coldplay (the more famous they are, the more mediocre they become) -Phil Collins -Most rappers if not all -Madonna (the last 15 years) -Lady Gaga and all her clones
Seriously.... Bob Dylan??? How about Sam Cooke, Sinatra, Pink Floyd & Hendrix while we are at it.....
post #442 of 587
Yeah. And Bach. JFC.
post #443 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abliss View Post
Seriously.... Bob Dylan??? How about Sam Cooke, Sinatra, Pink Floyd & Hendrix while we are at it.....
It´s just my personal opinion, I find his voice quite irritating, and the lyrics are just OK. Maybe back in the day, he was the king, but I don´t find him particularly impressive. In Spain, people in their fifties-sixties love him (the ones that were in college in the '60s), and that is ridiculous, because almost no one that age speaks English at all.
post #444 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyoswaldo View Post
Lady GaGa
King Crimson
Drive By Truckers
Kanye West
Coldplay

Really? If anything I'd argue that the Truckers are underrated. I do think Southern Rock Opera has been overrated, but they have a number of other albums that were completely overlooked despite being better than SRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Huh? View Post
Johnny Cash. Anytime I hear people praising him I wonder if it's because he's a safe choice. But who listens to him, really? "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die". Yeah, real hardcore of you, Cash.

You don't really get that song, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld111134 View Post
  • Widespread Panic - maybe the 15th best band to come out of Athens, Georgia but revered by its fans as perhaps the best band ever;
  • Pink Floyd - After Syd Barrett's departure, the band became a vehicle for broadcasting Roger Waters' boring neuroses (while "Dark Side of the Moon" was great, most of their other output is sheer tripe);
  • Ray LaMontagne - why this guy is popular is a mystery;
  • Phish - See Widespread Panic above;
  • Dave Matthews Band - The only thing that he's ever done that I've liked was his spot-on impression of Ozzy on "Saturday Night Live".

+1 on Panic. I like them, but they tend to be hit-and-miss. I don't understand the people who worship them.
post #445 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Radiohead. I don't understand how they always make the cut in "best band ever" conversations. I would say it's generational but they're from my generation.

I think from about 1997 to 2003 they were the best band working. Now I think they've passed their prime. But people still talk about them as if they were still doing their best work. I think they're kind of washed up, and I don't say that lightly: OK Computer is my favorite record of all time. Guess it happens to all bands eventually, unless they break up right in the midst of their prime.
post #446 of 587
lil wayne and soulja boy
post #447 of 587
overrated by the general masses/friends: -vampire weekend -temper trap -jason mraz -john mayer and many more, of course overrated by the general media: -nirvana (but i liked soundgarden) -the beatles (i loved the rolling stones, and all the classic stuff like zeppelin and hendrix.. but I just don't reach to listen to beatles stuff. i respect them for their influence, but that's it) -bob dylan (i guess it's because i didn't grow up at the relevant time and place)
post #448 of 587
Bruce Springsteen
post #449 of 587
Stevie Wonder is overrated.
post #450 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
Stevie Wonder is overrated.

don't you EVER make fun of Stevie Wonder, motherfucker! Stevie Wonder is a musical genius!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Most Overrated Musical Artists