or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How do you like checkered shirts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you like checkered shirts?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I found a number of Lacoste buttondown shirts on sale at 70% off and in my size, so I got them. A large number of these last-item-in-the-city shirts, however, are checkered shirts. Some have very subtle or light checker patterns and could be virtual solids or maybe what you guys call tattersall; three look a bit like cowboy shirts but nothing like Madras.

My tropical country law firm's regular dress code is dress shirt and tie with no jacket, which allows a bit more color for your shirt. What do you guys think of checks in general, and checks in a business context? I've worn them a few times with no comment.
post #2 of 11
I like checked shirts a lot. I think they look a little less formal than plain shirts, and they can be harder to coordinate, but that seems like it's less of an issue for you now. Wear them happily. I'm wearing one today in this fabric:



By the way, I think maybe you are thinking of end-on-end. This is tattersall (or close to it):

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
I found a number of Lacoste buttondown shirts on sale at 70% off and in my size, so I got them. A large number of these last-item-in-the-city shirts, however, are checkered shirts. Some have very subtle or light checker patterns and could be virtual solids or maybe what you guys call tattersall; three look a bit like cowboy shirts but nothing like Madras.

My tropical country law firm's regular dress code is dress shirt and tie with no jacket, which allows a bit more color for your shirt. What do you guys think of checks in general, and checks in a business context? I've worn them a few times with no comment.

I love gingham, although it is probably seen as more informal. I have a blue gingham shirt from Jantzen that looks awesome with either a red or naby tie and navy suit.
post #4 of 11
Coloured ginghams are among my favs. Thomas Mason have some great ones.
post #5 of 11
Love 'em all -- checks, tattersall, gingham. I think checks and gingham would be fine for your work environment, but tattersall would probably be a bit rustic.
post #6 of 11
Can't stand 'em!
post #7 of 11
Gingham is one of my favorite shirt patterns. I wear them for both cusual as well as less formal days at the office.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame
Gingham is one of my favorite shirt patterns. I wear them for both cusual as well as less formal days at the office.

Ditto
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Love 'em all -- checks, tattersall, gingham. I think checks and gingham would be fine for your work environment, but tattersall would probably be a bit rustic.

Tattersall is for farmer?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
I like checked shirts a lot. I think they look a little less formal than plain shirts, and they can be harder to coordinate, but that seems like it's less of an issue for you now. Wear them happily. I'm wearing one today in this fabric:



I have a shirt close to this (I found it for about USD9.00) but I am undecided if I like it or not. Have not worn it yet.
post #11 of 11
check and gingham patterns are my favorite shirts. a well coordinated check shirt with the right tie looks amazing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How do you like checkered shirts?