• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is the fabric on your new suit?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I am not using the right lingo on this. Suit fabrics are something I am ready to start learning about intensely.
A friend of mine told me something that almost blew my hair back.
Apparently it is something well known to stores/tailors but not the public.
When a man selects the fabrics from a catalogue for his new bespoke/MTM suit, is he unaware of what year the fabrics were manufactured in.
Apparently this is the hidden gold for stores/tailors. Buy last years (or older) stock at heavy discount,
then present it to customers as though it were the latest. The un-suspecting customer has no idea that he has selected from last years (or older) fabrics; and pays top dollar while the store/tailor makes a killing. Now this is what a friend told me. My question is, is this true?
If so, how common is this syndrome? How does one educate themselves beforehand to familiarize themselves with fabric lots and years? Your thoughts please, and any links I can read & learn.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - there are tailors who charge the same premium for a cloth that they got at reduced cost. But it is, for the folks I know that have done it, unscrupulous; it just allows them to squeeze a little more margin out orf a not-so-profitable business.

Additionally, if you have a good relationship with a tailor, you'll get offered deals on such cloths.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I demand that my tailor include a year tag along with the shop tag and other advertisements.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I hope the above is sarcasm... Honestly who cares? Fabrics don't change all that much from year to year.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you select from the in house bolts at your tailor shop, most of them are "old stock", in the sense that they are not this year design.
Bespoke tailoring is not "fashion", the fabrics house do not sell "this year" stock at heavy discount then replace by "new" one.
Yea, you can got deep discount sometime, but keep in mind that it was also cost for keeping stock.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I demand that my tailor include a year tag along with the shop tag and other advertisements.

noob
rolleyes.gif

My tailor shows me the birth certificate of the sheep used and the date they were shorn for my fabric.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rubinacci still has some pretty old deerstalkers in their warehouse.

Beware.

- B

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
noob
rolleyes.gif

My tailor shows me the birth certificate of the sheep used and the date they were shorn for my fabric.

how about mother and fathers names. and also their family trees? thats most important.

BUT BE ON YOUR GUARD.

i understand a few rogue sheep have been sneaking in with bogus high super numbers.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
how about mother and fathers names. and also their family trees? thats most important.

BUT BE ON YOUR GUARD.

i understand a few rogue sheep have been sneaking in with bogus high numbers.

I demand DNA tests.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
I demand DNA tests.

let us notify the FBI. there may be a reward.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
I demand DNA tests.

Be sure to have the telomeres measured carefully.

Albern

Reaction score
You guys complicate things sometimes. I just want to know the sheep's name.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Be sure to have the telomeres measured carefully.

Not enough. I further request 100% polymerase lining so I never have to resort to reweaving.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
noob
rolleyes.gif

Seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads