or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying a tailsuit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying a tailsuit

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
To start of I'm going to need a tail suit for this saturday, I know it's very late thought of, but things come unexpected in the academic world. The trouble I'm struggling with here is whether I should:

Buy a 370$ poly suit (including white bowtie, vest, shirt and suspenders)
or a 670$ 60/40 wool/poly package
or the third option: Buy a 110$ set of vest, shirt, white bowtie and suspenders and just borrow the suit until I can find something without poly.

The conditions are that there will be alot of drinking most of the times I will wear this, is the poly so horrible for wearing one or maybe a few times a year and getting some alcoholic beverage on it?
I would never think of getting a poly suit, but it's very tempting to get a poly tailsuit since it will be used so seldomly and abused so much.

Any help is appreciated.

Oh and a last thing: Anything special I should contemplate on getting a tailsuit that differs from an ordinary suit?
post #2 of 7
Given the short notice I would rent for this occasion. Buying your own accessories is not a bad idea if you can find stuff you're happy with.

Hate the polyesters.
post #3 of 7
Where are you going academically that would require white tie? I want to go there.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wosk View Post
or the third option: Buy a 110$ set of vest, shirt, white bowtie and suspenders and just borrow the suit until I can find something without poly.
This is probably for the best, unless you could get tailoring that quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wosk View Post
Oh and a last thing: Anything special I should contemplate on getting a tailsuit that differs from an ordinary suit?

Only that the construction and fit are radically different.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
Where are you going academically that would require white tie? I want to go there.

Lund in Sweden, we have alot of balls (;D) and orders (or what you call them) with medallions and all of that. Something special about getting hammered a couple times every year in the most formal clothing you can wear (hence I'm a bit afraid of getting something too nice, you never know what happens, especially if there are inaguration rights... if thats the word ;D)
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wosk View Post
Lund in Sweden, we have alot of balls (;D) and orders (or what you call them) with medallions and all of that. Something special about getting hammered a couple times every year in the most formal clothing you can wear (hence I'm a bit afraid of getting something too nice, you never know what happens, especially if there are inaguration rights... if thats the word ;D)
I have a question for our Swedish friend. Do you consider the women in your country to be extremely attractive? Or is it like a "white person liking Asian girls who are actually ugly to other Asians" thing?
post #7 of 7
I have been to many a gala in white tie in what I think is my fathers old Peek & Cloppenburg 'tailsuit'. This is all wool and I have had no problem whatsoever with beer spills. I mean, I spilled, but it was no problem. Mostly those 'galas' have an open bar and more beer is splashed on the ground than is consumed. Yeah, it's classy allright. Just bring it to the cleaner once in a while and inbetween put it on a hanger outside for a couple of hours/days. Clean the mud spots off of your trousers, the next morning, with a bit of warm water and perhaps some soap. Such happenings are mostly warm and sweaty affairs: ***Author of this post NOT depicted**** Wearing a (semi) polyester suit seems highly uncomfortable, to me. I have no idea about the swedish evening dress-market, but in the Netherlands I found this 'tailsuit' with a 2 second google effort. € 180,- shipped in NL. (they ship abroad). (Probably without the white part) I have no experience, no affiliation with them and have no idea about quality, but wanted to let you know, there must be better options. Me singing my 'year song' during an altogether more elegant affair.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying a tailsuit