or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › From the logos thread: what do people think about Starbuck's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

From the logos thread: what do people think about Starbuck's

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
I'm going to come right out and say that I'm a Starbuck's employee, part-time on weekends to pay my way through college. That said:

A)As to the burnt-coffee thing, I think it's not SO much a result of the beans(there are beans at the Bux ranging from pale brown to jet black), but the fact that brewed coffee sits for AT LEAST an hour, and if the baristas are lazy(guilty, occassionally), two or three.

B)I grew up drinking French roasts from a Bialetti stove-top and cafezinhos in Brasil, so the darker, the better for my taste.

C) Espresso - once upon a time, starbucks used the Marzocco, a manual machine that can make great espresso IF USED CORRECTLY. They have now switched over 90% of ops to the Verismo, a boring, bland, and easy-to use automatic that makes sub-par straight espresso. Fine for concoctions, crap for people like me who like small, strong cups. Fortunately, the store I work at has not upgraded, so I still get to use the manual machine.

D)The starbuck's business model is admittedly brilliant, and for all their faults(read, pushing out local stores), they are pretty high up in the list of "good" companies. Not at all like Walmart.
post #2 of 63
Don't like the coffee -- definitely has the burnt thing going on for me (darker = better for me as well) Also don't particularly enjoy the atmosphere -- it's fairly sterile, the coffeeshop of the easy intellectual. Oh yeah, 'barista' (sorry!!!!) and the other fairly pretensious names for things is a little manufactured and cloying. Nothing personal, mind you, just my honest assesment. Regards, Huntsman
post #3 of 63
Quote:
A)As to the burnt-coffee thing, I think it's not SO much a result of the beans(there are beans at the Bux ranging from pale brown to jet black), but the fact that brewed coffee sits for AT LEAST an hour, and if the baristas are lazy(guilty, occassionally), two or three.
This doesn't explain why the espresso tastes burnt, as I've never had a "brewed coffee" at Starbucks. I think its very much in the roasting of the beans or the processing. Does Starbucks wet or dry process the beans? How to they roast? Is it a small batch process? I dunno, but all of the espresso I've ever had from Starbucks tastes the same. I think the color of the beans starbucks HAS has very little to do with the beans starbucks USES when I order an Americano or a shot of espresso. They always seem to use burnt tasting beans for that. Do I have to learn what kind of friggin beans to ask for when I order an americano? I'd rather just go somewhere they don't over-roast their beans in the first place. Other than that I have nothing against Starbucks. I just don't particularly like their coffee and therefore, don't go there very often.
post #4 of 63
I have not been to Starbucks in years and have never tasted their coffee or esspresso. I stopped going when I discovered that the scones at Dean & Deluca were vastly superior. I still occasionally walk into Starbucks thinking I might want something and invariably walk out in under a minute without ordering anything.

Segafredo is on a completely different plane of quality above Starbucks, but it seems clear that they don't have a presence in the US market. They are probably too continental for American tastes.
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I have not been to Starbucks in years and have never tasted their coffee or esspresso. I stopped going when I discovered that the scones at Dean & Deluca were vastly superior. I still occasionally walk into Starbucks thinking I might want something and invariably walk out in under a minute without ordering anything.

Segafredo is on a completely different plane of quality above Starbucks, but it seems clear that they don't have a presence in the US market. They are probably too continental for American tastes.

I like Segafredo and Doutor when I'm in Japan, I just can't get them here.
post #6 of 63
Thread Starter 
I actually prefer local places as well, despite the fact that starbucks employs me - or perhaps BECAUSE of that.
As to the burnt thing, there's only one roast of starbuck's espresso. Perhaps it is burnt - I drink my espresso with a sugar, so I don't really taste the burnt flavor.

Anybody from the Boston/Cambridge area? If so, ever been to Algiers? It's probably my favorite place.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I like Segafredo and Doutor when I'm in Japan, I just can't get them here.

Yes, Doutor is also excellent. Their Ginza shop is my favorite because of its outdoor section right on Ginza crossing.
post #8 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
This doesn't explain why the espresso tastes burnt, as I've never had a "brewed coffee" at Starbucks. I think its very much in the roasting of the beans or the processing. Does Starbucks wet or dry process the beans? How to they roast? Is it a small batch process? I dunno, but all of the espresso I've ever had from Starbucks tastes the same. I think the color of the beans starbucks HAS has very little to do with the beans starbucks USES when I order an Americano or a shot of espresso. They always seem to use burnt tasting beans for that. Do I have to learn what kind of friggin beans to ask for when I order an americano? I'd rather just go somewhere they don't over-roast their beans in the first place.

Other than that I have nothing against Starbucks. I just don't particularly like their coffee and therefore, don't go there very often.

i've experienced the 'burnt' taste as well. maybe the shitty baristas shots are off and they are not adjusting, or they let them sit too long?? whatever it is, it's gross.

was this thread supposed to be about the logo? meh, its alright. green IS my favorite color though...
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellshock
green IS my favorite color though...

post #10 of 63
The last Starbuck's I went into had an AIDS Awareness mailing list sign-up sheet. The last independent coffeeshop I went into had a Socialist International mailing list sign-up sheet.
post #11 of 63
I honestly don't think that means anything and I hope you realize that your statement is a totally BS observation.

The last 7-11 I went into had a down syndrome change bucket, the last Safeway I drove past had a cheerleader carwash for the senior class. Does that mean that the 7-11 sells a better product (or is a better company)? Not neccesarily.

Besides...We all know you signed up for the commie paper Kent.
post #12 of 63
Of course it means very little; it's simply an amusing anecdote. My biggest gripe against Starbucks is the vibe, which others have already mentioned. I was on the International Socialist Organization's mailing list two years ago but unsubscribed when it became clear to me that they were only interested in appeasement with the capitalist running dogs and were not really working towards the goal of international proletarian revolution.
post #13 of 63
Thats why anarchy rules. Its ultimately the most futile of all political affiliations...
post #14 of 63
For as much as I hate anything ubiquitous, Starbucks still manages a reasonably local feel that chains like McDonalds do not. There's also a Starbucks on Arifjian, which makes it my favorite place in Kuwait.
post #15 of 63
Thread Starter 
Input: i went to work today and tried some un-adulterated, no sugar, no nothing espresso for the first time in a while. It was a perfect demitasse, nice crema, 1oz., very nice.

Conclusion:
Yeah, it tastes burnt as hell. I always put sugar in, out of cultural habit(no one drinks coffee black in Brasil).
So, I stand corrected. The company burns the fuck out of its espresso beans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › From the logos thread: what do people think about Starbuck's