• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Church wear?

i10casual

Reaction score
Can a few of you please help me.?

I am starting to go to Church (Lutheran) with my new wife. I'm pretty much a heathen and have not spent a lot of time in this type of atmosphere. What do you guys wear?

Yesterday I went with a simple white button down, dark navy slacks, and Clarks. One of the head guys told me I looked like I belonged in the choir. It seems they all dress in black & white. A lot of guys where in polo shirts, but that is no fun.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
Can a few of you please help me.?

I am starting to go to Church (Lutheran) with my new wife. I'm pretty much a heathen and have not spent a lot of time in this type of atmosphere. What do you guys wear?

Yesterday I went with a simple white button down, dark navy slacks, and Clarks. One of the head guys told me I looked like I belonged in the choir. It seems they all dress in black & white. A lot of guys where in polo shirts, but that is no fun.

Either wear a suit or buttondown shirt, dress trousers, and a nice polishedpair of shoes. Support your wife not your sartorial ego. Just going with your wife is the important thing...

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drydis Greis
Either wear a suit or buttondown shirt, dress trousers, and a nice polishedpair of shoes. Support your wife not your sartorial ego. Just going with your wife is the important thing...

In addition, get her opinion on what you should wear.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
They're Lutherans. They won't notice. Or you could wear this:

martin-luther.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
They're Lutherans. They won't notice. Or you could wear this:

A sectarian joke from you is especially sweet.

Well done.

- B

BareSolid

Reaction score
See if anyone's nailed the dress code to the door.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
One of the head guys told me I looked like I belonged in the choir.

You should have cast the first stone.

My wife's church is almost exclusively jeans, khakis and shirts from Kohl's etc.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever your wife tells you to wear. It seems like she is calling all the shots, anyway.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smell Church Pants......

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Manton Luther?

Better than John Calvin Klein but not as good as John Knoxxford...

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drydis Greis
Support your wife not your sartorial ego.

This is GREAT advice!!!

In my experience, every church has an understood but not necessarily verbalized range of acceptable dress. Some are more formal, some are more informal. I would recommend that you see what other people are wearing, and then place yourself within THEIR range, so that you don't stick out, while being supportive of your wife.

I do have some further theological thoughts on the matter, but I will keep them to myself for the time being.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I smell Church Pants......

It took me -years- to figure out church pants.

They must be serious. Thus, black. Church pants with a striped polo? Serious- pass. Bespoke horse blanket jacket? Insufficiently serious- fail.

Funny part is, in my church no one wears church pants. I'm pretty sure that means we are all
devil.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say what you wore was accetable, a bit plain you could try some diffrent colors or something to keep from being mistaken as a choir member. Fortunatley my church is still a suit and tie congregation so I don't have to deal with the supreme casualness of the modern church patron. I would say a nice button up on slacks is fien polos and anything less is just a lack of effort and disrespect for one self and the lord.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
It took me -years- to figure out church pants.

They must be serious. Thus, black. Church pants with a striped polo? Serious- pass. Bespoke horse blanket jacket? Insufficiently serious- fail.

Funny part is, in my church no one wears church pants. I'm pretty sure that means we are all
devil.gif

Most men in my church do wear church pants but we're all
devil.gif
anyway.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads