or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cadillac - Page 4

post #46 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikins View Post
sometimes.

What doesn't make sense to me are 4 door coupes.
The term "4-door coupé" is obviously the brainchild of a marketing department -- it has little substance.
post #47 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
The B-pillarless MB CL class eliminates most side view sight issues and its "trick" door hinges make ingress and egress from the rear easier. Lovely car that is most appropriate on occasions when a roadster would be percieved as a bit unseemly.
Mercedes-Benz made such a big deal about the CLS being the first in a new vehicle segment -- but there are many examples of this type of vehicle long before the CLS was thought of.
post #48 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
Mercedes-Benz made such a big deal about the CLS being the first in a new vehicle segment -- but there are many examples of this type of vehicle long before the CLS was thought of.
I know, and I'm not a fan of the 4-door CLS at all. I hate the 4-door "coupe" concept.

The CL, the large 2-door coupe, is a different vehicle altogether. This vehicle has been around for decades, and it's one that I adore immensely, especially in its V-12 version.
LL
LL
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
Didn't answer the question, just posted pictures of cars you like.? So explain how a M3 is more practical then a M5 and then tell me how its faster then a Mroadster.


In all fairness for someone with kids, clients, etc the M3 is NOT more practical than the M5 (IMO)! The M3 that came out in 07 does 0-60 in 4.4 clicks. The M roadster did 0-60 on 5 secs. Google them. The M3 is faster.

I love when people compare the new CTS-V to the Euro stuff. I just got rid of a 06 S55. I have driven the M5 quite a bit. I spent a day in a V and for the money they ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE! People don't want to think that the V is better since it is American. You can read the reviews etc. The V is one very special car. Coincidentally I would of got the V but didn't much want the rear wheel drive thing again so I opted for the Jeep SRT-8 (a vehicle I am sure most of you hate yet shares many parts from its Mercedes Cousins).

The history of American Cars is quite humorous....people KILL for the old stuff yet you show anything recent and most run for the hills. Some for good reason, some because they are clueless!
post #50 of 96
jjgold - I have to agree with you about some of the new cars from the States. The CTS-V, XLR-V (if you don't need a trunk ) and the Z06 are stunning cars. On the small car front, Ford has produced some pretty nice Focus variants for a number of years for the European market. Hopefully a few of those will make their way over here.
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
Didn't answer the question, just posted pictures of cars you like.? So explain how a M3 is more practical then a M5 and then tell me how its faster then a Mroadster.

Look, let's face it. You made one of those stupid comments newbs make on this site when they think they have a strong opinion, let's call it a preference, but they make the naive and childish assumption that their view should be made into a hard and fast rule. (e.g. "OMG Pleated pants are stoopid!") The bottom line is that the "4-door coupe" is an anomaly and virtually nonexistent, while tons of car makers make plenty of money selling "2-door coupes" (e.g. normal coupes) to plenty of reasonable people (G37, BMW 3-series, Mercedes C230, Nissan Altima, the list goes on and on and on). Hell, if you want to stretch the definition of coupe to include 4-door cars, then surely you must also count the Porsche 911, which is a four-seater with two doors. I guess that's "the wrong car" by your definition.

Obviously, a standard coupe is something of a compromise between sportiness and practicality. But so is every single car on the road. But why draw the line at coupes? By your logic, an M5 is impractical when you could have a Hummer, and an MRoadster is no good because you could have a Lotus. Your selection is so arbitrary so as to be meaningless, and it's obviously in a tiny minority given the number of "2-door coupes" on the market as compared to "4-door coupes."
post #52 of 96
Doug, does your argument not violate the premis your complaining about?
post #53 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry View Post
it's got a (slightly detuned) corvette engine in it and was developed at the nuremberg ring. I've driven it, and, well, its a lot more fun than comparable sport sedans(including the M5).


Honestly, I would probably never buy a GM car save for a Corvette ZR1. The only reason I wouldn't buy a CTS-V is because i'm not exactly in the market for a big four door saloon car, even one as great as this.

Um, isn't the CTS the smallest Cadillac?
post #54 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Look, let's face it. You made one of those stupid comments newbs make on this site when they think they have a strong opinion, let's call it a preference, but they make the naive and childish assumption that their view should be made into a hard and fast rule. (e.g. "OMG Pleated pants are stoopid!") The bottom line is that the "4-door coupe" is an anomaly and virtually nonexistent, while tons of car makers make plenty of money selling "2-door coupes" (e.g. normal coupes) to plenty of reasonable people (G37, BMW 3-series, Mercedes C230, Nissan Altima, the list goes on and on and on). Hell, if you want to stretch the definition of coupe to include 4-door cars, then surely you must also count the Porsche 911, which is a four-seater with two doors. I guess that's "the wrong car" by your definition.

Obviously, a standard coupe is something of a compromise between sportiness and practicality. But so is every single car on the road. But why draw the line at coupes? By your logic, an M5 is impractical when you could have a Hummer, and an MRoadster is no good because you could have a Lotus. Your selection is so arbitrary so as to be meaningless, and it's obviously in a tiny minority given the number of "2-door coupes" on the market as compared to "4-door coupes."

I suspect, although I am not sure, that by "4-door coupe" turboman808 meant a regular "sedan" and not a car like the CLS.
post #55 of 96
Speaking of Mercedes in a Cadillac thread, has anyone noticed a similarity in design and profile lines between the new E-Class and the CTS?
post #56 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcreo View Post
Speaking of Mercedes in a Cadillac thread, has anyone noticed a similarity in design and profile lines between the new E-Class and the CTS?
I don't recognize any similarities between them.
post #57 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcreo View Post
Speaking of Mercedes in a Cadillac thread, has anyone noticed a similarity in design and profile lines between the new E-Class and the CTS?

Yes. Mercedes' egdy styling has clearly taken some inspiration from Cadillac. Cadillac called this design theme "Art and Science"'
post #58 of 96
I just took my 06 CTS in for service last evening and got a 2010 CTS as a loaner. I swear if they don't call me back to pick up my car today or tomorrow....or ever, that's fine with me. the newer style is light years beyond the first gen versions in all it's iterations. and I'm a HUGE fan of my car.

I honestly can't see any reason that one would overlook Cadillac as an option when buying a new luxury car unless you just don't like the styling. they're built so well now that they rival any Euro or Japanese car in the same class. the V series outperforms EVERYthing in its class. and if you're in it for ownership, parts and service are a fraction of the cost of the overseas competition.
post #59 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
Yes. Mercedes' egdy styling has clearly taken some inspiration from Cadillac. Cadillac called this design theme "Art and Science"'

Yup. I understand Cadillac's theme. I purchased my CTS-V because of it: it looked like nothing else on the road.

I just thought that there was a sense of irony in M-B's reappropriation, especially with my car in mind. With the V being a car produced with the German sedans squarely in it's sights, that the new M-B design has taken some notes from the Americans is saying something about the CTS & CTS-V's quality.
post #60 of 96
Caddy's are not my thing...but one I'm partial to is the 1980-85 Sevilles





For 70's / 80's American cars, one that would be on my short list is the 1974-75 Oleg Cassini AMC Matador




New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home