or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc... - Page 7

post #91 of 240
You are all crazy. Vass will sell directly to the US for $500-600 delivered, and there are other sellers willing to sell the shoes for the same price. I know of one in Austria. I do not think Vass is sophisticated enough to interfere in other people's selling practices. They might show an interest in making sure their own prices do not undercut regional sellers (the price from the factory is retail and very close to prices in Germany and Austria). And Bergdorf Goodman's prices are overpriced and inflated for everything, that is how department stores operate. This is why they have ridiculous sales. I am not sure what this has to do with Harris and Gabor, were they not around BG's prices would still be inflated.
post #92 of 240
Did I mention that I am from Germany and that I my place is just a few steps from a store that sells Laszlo Vass? I would be capable and willing to make arrangements with anyone who is interested to buy any kind of shoes that I might obtain for significantly more favourable conditions than those in the US? In the case of Vass shoes I that would mean around $510 incl. VAT plus shipping for their regular line.
Anyone?
post #93 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
Some people were calling them out and demanding a response. Might not have been the wisest decision but understandable.


Here's the AAAC thread, you'll see that Gabor's initial post is unsolicited.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/F...09&whichpage=1
post #94 of 240
Did the "greed, greed, greed" post on SF precede Gabor's post? Actually, it doesn't matter. I agree with you; I think that people would've been content to blame it all on big bad BG.
post #95 of 240
I'm surprised at the strong undercurrent of nationalist protectionism in this thread.

I'm sorry, but all sellers, including niche ones, need to realize that in the 21st century individuals live in a world, not a country. Exclusive rights to provide goods not controlled by environmental/safety/hazmat/firearms regulation is an artifact of a world that no longer exists. And we're all better for that improvement. Even those who think that their stake lies in preserving antiquated ways.

Now, if Vass wants to raise their price to whatever, that's fine. If they want to do a Vuitton and keep prices the same more or less everywhere all the time (Hermes runs sales all the time, if you know who to ask, and now they're even putting stuff on Bluefly...) then that's a reasonable business strategy. But if they want their price in Country X to be n and their price in Country Y to be n+export costs+lots more, fuck 'em. They have to expect that if they have something worth buying - I've not been here for long, but I've never read a disparaging comment about Vass shoes - then someone is always going to be willing to sell them in Country Y for n+export costs+less. That's just honest capitalism. And that some people, those willing to sacrifice on personal service (though the idea of buying a shoe built on a last you haven't yet tried is very foreign to me) or who are repeat ordering a known quantity, are going to jump at paying less.

A producer who tries to plug all of those kinds of leaks through means short of complete vertical integration is acting on delusion. Unlike what some here are trying to intimate, it's not personal. It's just business. And yes, there are going to be some free riders who will go to Bergdorf and try on a shoe, and then order it elsewhere for less. Free markets have free riders. That's just life in the modern world. If you don't like it, invent a time machine and get theeself back to the nastier pre-WTO, pre-Schengen world.

Of course, in shoes Vass isn't the only ones to do this. Alden's steep European prices were already mentioned, and likewise for a while Barney's (or was it BG?) carried Ludwig Reiters at vertigo-inducing pricing. Maybe they still do. But surely no American online merchant would turn down a sale of Aldens to a European address, and if you want LR's delivered to your door, pick up the phone and they're on your doorstep within a week.
post #96 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Duplicate of post on AAAC:

Why hasn't anyone excoriated the blabbermouth who mentioned the German store in the first place?


This forum hits a new low when a moderator incited other members to launch an attack, in two different forums, at another member who has done a great service and is a great contributor to this forum.

Steve B, can you explain to us why we should excoriate this "blabbermouth"? Can you provide us guidelines on what and when is NOT ok to inform fellow forum members of a store with great deals?
post #97 of 240
So George, what's your real name

Edit - sorry Art. I was under the mistaken assumption that you'd just joined. I see that despite your total of 2 posts you've been around a few months. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
post #98 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
This forum hits a new low when a moderator incited other members to launch an attack, in two different forums, at another member who has done a great service and is a great contributor to this forum.

Art Vandelay, the architect. I'm honored to meet you and I agree with you, wholeheartedly!
post #99 of 240
Edit
post #100 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I'm surprised at the strong undercurrent of nationalist protectionism in this thread. I'm sorry, but all sellers, including niche ones, need to realize that in the 21st century individuals live in a world, not a country. Exclusive rights to provide goods not controlled by environmental/safety/hazmat/firearms regulation is an artifact of a world that no longer exists. And we're all better for that improvement. Even those who think that their stake lies in preserving antiquated ways. Now, if Vass wants to raise their price to whatever, that's fine. If they want to do a Vuitton and keep prices the same more or less everywhere all the time (Hermes runs sales all the time, if you know who to ask, and now they're even putting stuff on Bluefly...) then that's a reasonable business strategy. But if they want their price in Country X to be n and their price in Country Y to be n+export costs+lots more, fuck 'em. They have to expect that if they have something worth buying - I've not been here for long, but I've never read a disparaging comment about Vass shoes - then someone is always going to be willing to sell them in Country Y for n+export costs+less. That's just honest capitalism. And that some people, those willing to sacrifice on personal service (though the idea of buying a shoe built on a last you haven't yet tried is very foreign to me) or who are repeat ordering a known quantity, are going to jump at paying less. A producer who tries to plug all of those kinds of leaks through means short of complete vertical integration is acting on delusion. Unlike what some here are trying to intimate, it's not personal. It's just business. And yes, there are going to be some free riders who will go to Bergdorf and try on a shoe, and then order it elsewhere for less. Free markets have free riders. That's just life in the modern world. If you don't like it, invent a time machine and get theeself back to the nastier pre-WTO, pre-Schengen world. Of course, in shoes Vass isn't the only ones to do this. Alden's steep European prices were already mentioned, and likewise for a while Barney's (or was it BG?) carried Ludwig Reiters at vertigo-inducing pricing. Maybe they still do. But surely no American online merchant would turn down a sale of Aldens to a European address, and if you want LR's delivered to your door, pick up the phone and they're on your doorstep within a week.
I'd say this is the be-all-end-all posting in this thread. It couldn't have been said any better! Kudos and thank you SGladwell for this excellent contribution. For all those who don't agree with SGladwell, I expect to see you on TV (fighting the police) at the next anti-globalisation event. Don't be shy!
post #101 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysdoc
I'd say this is the be-all-end-all posting in this thread. It couldn't have been said any better! Kudos and thank you SGladwell for this excellent contribution.

For all those who don't agree with SGladwell, I expect to see you on TV (fighting the police) at the next anti-globalisation event. Don't be shy!
I dunno, when's the last time you protested Airbus? Or boycotted Boeing?

I'm more pro-globalization than most, but still think protests are silly.
post #102 of 240
but this brand new Vass shoe is up for sale by one of the agents for the company. It is clearly being sold for a price lower than that of Bergdorf Goodman.

I am not really sure how this relates to the ongoing controversy, but aren't the wholesalers now undercutting the same dealers that they sought to protect?

Seems odd to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1600-LASZLO-...QQcmdZViewItem
post #103 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris
A German store selling their stock of shoes that they have already purchased from Vass is one thing. However, it is quite another if, as has been represented here, they are willing to accept special orders, and at stock prices.

No, it's not. It's just free trade.
post #104 of 240
Bergdorf does not carry the U last. Bergdorf only has two or three models of Vass, a pebblegrain loafer with a Vibram sole for about $950 or so, a cordovan loafer in black and brown for $1250 or so, the hearty budapest wingtip for $1490 or so and a perforated captoe in what seems to be the P2 last for $1490. So that would lead to the question that if BG or anyone in the US does not carry the U last, are you really undercutting anyone by ordering overseas?
post #105 of 240
The U last shoes can be ordered through BG.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...