or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc... - Page 15

post #211 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
I know a company in Germany that will send you a much larger duffle bag full of cash than Bergdorf Goodman. Let me know if you're interested...
I am the official duffle bag distributor for the Boston area and I demand that Steve B edit your post to remove this offer which undercuts my business and all of my efforts in promoting duffles for the starving, hopeless and future-less millions at Harvard
post #212 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
I am the official duffle bag distributor for the Boston area and I demand that Steve B edit your post to remove this offer which undercuts my business and all of my efforts in promoting duffles for the starving, hopeless and future-less millions at Harvard

I only accept black duffle bags to match my black suits, will your company be able to accomodate me?
post #213 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
I am the official duffle bag distributor for the Boston area and I demand that Steve B edit your post to remove this offer which undercuts my business and all of my efforts in promoting duffles for the starving, hopeless and future-less millions at Harvard
I am the official catmere distributor for Western Europe. I demand that Steve B. stop all posters from harvesting catmere without my license. In other words, stop brushing your cats (or anyone else's) unless you send money and a great big box of Pounce Tartar Control to

RJ Cat Productions
Cedex 08
France

EDIT: Sorry, let the cat walk on the keyboard again... Who knew he could type coherently?
post #214 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I only accept black duffle bags to match my black suits, will your company be able to accomodate me?
Manton said they were illegal.
post #215 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
I am the official duffle bag distributor for the Boston area and I demand that Steve B edit your post to remove this offer which undercuts my business and all of my efforts in promoting duffles for the starving, hopeless and future-less millions at Harvard

You greedy, monopolizing, [large economics sounding word] bastard! How dare you restrict my rights to free trade and [other large economics sounding words]?! You obviously have no understanding of marketing, the laws surrounding free trade, life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and my right to watch baseball games without being interrupted by annoying phone calls from telemarketers! I'll buy my duffle bags full of cash from whomever I choose. Try to stop me. I dare you. I triple dog dare you.

I...aw, forget it...my wife is already complaining that I have too many duffle bags full of cash as it is.
post #216 of 240
Edit, why won't the emoticons work? Anyways:

*laugh*

Does that mean I can't sell my catsmere duffle bag samples on ebay? "Cash pictured not included"
post #217 of 240
Very funny; it's abut time someone broke the tension.

For some reason the emoticons don't work on an edit. I tried to cut, paste, and add to your reply...

Oh No- I edited a post!!!!







post #218 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Very funny; it's abut time someone broke the tension.

For some reason the emoticons don't work on an edit. I tried to cut, paste, and add to your reply...

Oh No- I edited a post!!!!







post #219 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
Manton said they were illegal.

But I've heard some well regarded guy in the 18th century wore black, how can it be!!!!
post #220 of 240
Cool.

Do I get any severance-lovely parting gifts or book deals?
post #221 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Globalization has costs as well as benefits. Even if your nightmare scenario were to come to pass - as I'll explain below, I think it's a strawman - I wouldn't feel any more or less sorry for these two gentlemen then I do for a call center employee who was laid off because his firm moved to India or a factory worker who's unemployed because her company couldn't compete with a Chinese company on quality or price. Like it or not, there are costs to basing a business model on the fallacy that borders are still relevant to commerce in the 21st century. It's really quite reckless, if you think about it. It's sad for some of the individuals affected, and in cases where necessary I certainly support government-funded safety nets and civilizing reforms like single-payer healthcare to minimize the human costs of dislocation as much as possible. It is also ultimately for the good of the entire world to see countries like China and India follow in the footsteps of the UK and the US in their development, grow middle classes, and climb their way out of poverty. If Vass or any agents on their behalf wish to prevent prices from more or less harmonizing across borders, they are free to attempt to amass the capital to control the destiny of their shoes from every point up to the end user in every market. If they cannot or will not do that, they are resigning themselves to fight an ultimately losing war against the free market.



Now that's very extreme. For one thing, with the internet being what it is sooner or later almost all of the good niche producers of everything all over the world are going to be known to those who wish to find out about them, regardless of any individual's hard work.

Now, someone going into Bergdorf, trying them on, and ordering them elsewhere, I'll agree, is distasteful. But I would venture to guess that the majority of people who are buying expensive shoes over the internet without trying them on have done no such thing, so suggesting that internet sales are taking away from local sales itself is quite the strawman. And frankly, if BG dies drops Vass the more likely reason is that Americans in the main aren't that interested in the Central European shoemaking traditions, and have ingrown preferences for sleeker English and Italian products. I know that people have commented on my Ludwig Reiters for over five years, but nobody has ever asked me where he could get a pair.

Also, the requisite disclaimer: I've neither seen Vass shoes at BG or anywhere else, and certainly never considered paying $500+ for a pair of shoes on a last I've never tried. $500 is not pocket change to me. However, when I go to Europe in August I might look for some because I am a fan of that school of shoe design. If I judge Vass to be worth the price difference from Ludwig Reiter then I probably will buy a pair. Unless they raise the European price to US levels, in which case no matter how good they are they won't be relevant to my lifestyle.

I can't see why you say that Vass worldwide internet sales are "quite the strawman."

It's part of this business model, as you implictly admit in your comments regarding the modern, borderless economy.

No doubt the Vass distributors were aware it could happen, and sought, quite understandably, to protect their territory. To suggest that Internet sales is a strawman is to suggest that the universe of Internet buyers is finite and closed.
post #222 of 240
Okay... you guys are all talk. I still don't have my duffle bag full of cash. If you must know, I prefer the Duffle Bag to be one of those sweet Hermes deals.
post #223 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Okay... you guys are all talk. I still don't have my duffle bag full of cash. If you must know, I prefer the Duffle Bag to be one of those sweet Hermes deals.

Personally I would prefer this (seems roomier to fit more cash):



post #224 of 240
Why restrict yourself to what YOU can carry? Pick an illegal/immigrant/foreigner to carry a giant sack of the money FOR YOU

(Yes, I know I am a foreigner but I do not count. I have bad shoulders, doctor has told me I cannot lift heavy weights due to the possibility of ripping my shoulder out. However I can help with the administrative tasks that would entail my safeguarding the money. Uhm, and also "dynamic personal acquisition investment" in things such as size 10.5 shoes and size 38 suits. Full Canvas, how much is one of those Alfa GTZ again )
post #225 of 240
WHERE did you get that overnight bag?







...Jean Paul Gaultier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vass distributorships, globalization, protectionism, etc...