• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New D-SLR Camera advice?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any advice on the latest D-SLRs?

Looking for something around $1000 that will last me for a while. Don't need anything too pro as it will mostly be used for pics of my kid at sporting events and vacation shots. Need something durable and able to handle action pics but with the best picture quality for the price.

looking at the Nikon D90 and a couple Canons...anyone with any tips?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a +1 for the D90. A great camera that is pretty consumer level, but if you know what you're doing you can very easily shoot pro level pics. A very good bridge between consumer ease, but with most of the pro-level features.

Just buy quality lenses.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The D90 is what I have now. I highly recommend it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
For your situation a D90 is probably the best choice. I'm using my D80 still from a few years back and love it to death. That range of cameras has an excellent quality/price ratio.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks...I am definitely thinking that the D90 is the one to get.

Any thoughts on the Olympus PEN? My wife is thinking of getting one of those.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll be the dissenter. Canon 50D. Canons for pros, Nikons for regular joes... well come to think of it you are a regular joe. So nvm.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro
I'll be the dissenter. Canon 50D. Canons for pros, Nikons for regular joes... well come to think of it you are a regular joe. So nvm.

What is the advantage point of the D50? I just went to an electronics store to get a feel for some of the cameras and the D50 felt great...a heavy and solid camera.

CFB

Reaction score
I'll be the second to dissent. Although the D90 is a perfectly capable camera (really, any DSLR is capable of producing great photos), I'd advise you to take a look at Pentax, such as the new K-7. I've shot with the D90 and I have no complaints about that camera. But Pentax makes a point to put pro-level features such as magnesium bodies and water- and dust-resistance in cameras that come in at a price point lower than the Nikons and Canons that have similar construction. Pentax makes it so that you can use any lens they ever made on their DSLRs. And truthfully, you'd be best served to spend more on lenses and less on the camera. Also, "newer" is usually considered "better" when it comes to digital cameras. Just my 2 cents. Read up on Nikon"”and plenty of other brands"”at KenRockwell.com. Check out dpreview.com for some seriously in-depth info on just about every digital camera out there. Also, here's the review of the K-7. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/

(Full disclaimer: I have a Pentax K200D, although I have a Canon point-and-shoot. I considered both Nikon and Canon for my first DSLR but I felt that at comparable price points, Pentax gave me more for my dollar.)

CFB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
What is the advantage point of the D50? I just went to an electronics store to get a feel for some of the cameras and the D50 felt great...a heavy and solid camera.

By the way, the above poster was talking about the Canon 50D, not to be confused with the old Nikon D50. The Canon 50D is more of a pro-level camera than the D50 Nikon.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CFB
I'll be the second to dissent. Although the D90 is a perfectly capable camera (really, any DSLR is capable of producing great photos), I'd advise you to take a look at Pentax, such as the new K-7. I've shot with the D90 and I have no complaints about that camera. But Pentax makes a point to put pro-level features such as magnesium bodies and water- and dust-resistance in cameras that come in at a price point lower than the Nikons and Canons that have similar construction. Pentax makes it so that you can use any lens they ever made on their DSLRs. And truthfully, you'd be best served to spend more on lenses and less on the camera. Also, "newer" is usually considered "better" when it comes to digital cameras. Just my 2 cents. Read up on Nikon"”and plenty of other brands"”at KenRockwell.com. Check out dpreview.com for some seriously in-depth info on just about every digital camera out there. Also, here's the review of the K-7. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/

(Full disclaimer: I have a Pentax K200D, although I have a Canon point-and-shoot. I considered both Nikon and Canon for my first DSLR but I felt that at comparable price points, Pentax gave me more for my dollar.)

Thanks. I will check out the Pentax...the weather-protection is a nice feature that the D90 seems to be lacking.

Originally Posted by CFB
By the way, the above poster was talking about the Canon 50D, not to be confused with the old Nikon D50. The Canon 50D is more of a pro-level camera than the D50 Nikon.

Ahhh...got that. I think it was the 50D that I looked at...it was definitely a Canon.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter

Okay, well you've already experienced on of the pros of ANY canon which is their build quality. I've used D90, D200, D300, and the D3, and on the flip side I have used the 450D, 40D (also own), 50D, 5D, 5DMk2 (desperately want one), 1DMk3, and the 1DsMk3. The nikon D3 is the only one of those whose build quality is comparable to canon. IMO almost all nikons feel like lightweight plastic toys. I like my camera to feel like its got steel in it.

Other points for the 50D:

• 15 mega pixels
  • 6.3 FPS
  • Tough weatherized body
  • intuitive controls
  • easy menu layout
  • pleasant ergonomics
  • excellent LCD screen
  • and of course access to the full line of canon lenses, one of the main reasons to go canon.

Now I am not a complete fanboy, I can admit that nikon has good cameras that will get the job done. When you compare the core camera fundamentals canon and nikon arent too far apart. For me the difference comes in the lens options which canon wins hands down, and the little things like camera ergonomics, and menu layout. Nikon ergonomics are odd, and their menus are way to cluttered and should be trimmed down and refined. There thats my argument

Brian SD

Reaction score
For me the difference comes in the lens options which canon wins hands down, and the little things like camera ergonomics, and menu layout.
These are the important factors for me as well, which is why Nikon wins hands down.
smile.gif

aizan

Reaction score
virtually any camera under $1000 will meet your requirements. at this price point, brand wars are really senseless. i recommend these cameras because they're on the small side:

pentax k-7 - the highest specified compact dslr
nikon d90 - very good viewfinder and responsiveness
canon 500d or 450d - the grip may not be up to par, but the sensor keeps the pixel peepers happy. get the 450d if you don't want video.
olympus e-620 - dinky viewfinder, but the grip is more comfortable than the canon rebels, and it has a swiveling lcd that makes live view easier to use.

you might also look into the panasonic g1/gh1 and gf1.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About lenses: for the D90, any opinions about spending the extra yen to get the 18-200 zoom version or is the standard 18-105 sufficient for most needs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads