or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Place to eat in Atlanta
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Place to eat in Atlanta

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
Going to Atlanta this weekend to see Sunny Day Real Estate on peach street. I was hoping someone would have recommendations for some good soul food around that area.
post #2 of 47
Try the Colonnade (sp?), it's near Buckhead. Very good old-school Southern food as well as some more modern dishes. I would highly recommend the fried chicken plus mac 'n cheese, greens, etc.
post #3 of 47
Mary Mac
post #4 of 47
Both of the two reccomended places mentioned above are inexpensive old timely "meat and two (vegetables)" feed halls where you will eat with polyester-wearing elders and have to endure fatback flavored, grey-colored food which has been cooked to mush.
If you want a good restaurant with a definte Southern touch, try either Restaurant Eugene or Dogwood.
post #5 of 47
Don't forget a stop at Magic City!
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicad2000 View Post
Try the Colonnade (sp?), it's near Buckhead. Very good old-school Southern food as well as some more modern dishes. I would highly recommend the fried chicken plus mac 'n cheese, greens, etc.

One of my favorites. Unfortunately, they got a new chef a few years ago who was added some new dishes. They aren't as good as their classic food and have forced a few of the old time dishes off. Not in a touristy area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangio View Post
Mary Mac

Nowhere near as good as it used to be. Not too close to Buckhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpollock View Post
Both of the two reccomended places mentioned above are inexpensive old timely "meat and two (vegetables)" feed halls where you will eat with polyester-wearing elders and have to endure fatback flavored, grey-colored food which has been cooked to mush.
If you want a good restaurant with a definte Southern touch, try either Restaurant Eugene or Dogwood.

Eugene is fantastic but not the old-school Southern food you are looking for. I'd try the gastropub next door, the name of which escapes me ATM, and have the head to tail pig dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Don't forget a stop at Magic City!

Or Clermont Lounge! Tell Blondie I sent you.

BTW: It is Peachtree Street and there are lots of them here. So don't say Peach Street and expect people to know what you are talking about.

What I would really suggest you do though is go to Carver's Grocery. WAAAAAAY out of the way though. You'll need a car to get there or have a really long and complicated MARTA ride. CALL before you go. Some days they are open, sometimes not. Only for lunch too. Far and away the best soul food in Atlanta. No cards accepted though. And you won't need dinner if you go. Shit is so good you'll eat it all up and won't have room for dinner or breakfast the next day.
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
What I would really suggest you do though is go to Carver's Grocery. WAAAAAAY out of the way though. You'll need a car to get there or have a really long and complicated MARTA ride. CALL before you go. Some days they are open, sometimes not. Only for lunch too. Far and away the best soul food in Atlanta. No cards accepted though. And you won't need dinner if you go. Shit is so good you'll eat it all up and won't have room for dinner or breakfast the next day.

Where is this place?
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangio View Post
Mary Mac

+ 1, and don't forget Piddy Pat's downtown..
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Or Clermont Lounge! Tell Blondie I sent you.


Oh Clermont, that's about 4 blocks down from me on Ponce.
post #10 of 47
For a slightly more upscale southern food experience, South City Kitchen in Midtown is great. (although it's been a few years since I've been)
post #11 of 47
Hey, I was there at Sunny Day Real Estate!
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
For a slightly more upscale southern food experience, South City Kitchen in Midtown is great. (although it's been a few years since I've been)

+1 for South City Kitchen. We were there this past January and enjoyed the food. Not traditional southern cooking but better described as contemporary/modern southern. Many classics on the menu but with a little more panache.

One of the local staff I worked with last month also had good things to say about SCK. She also runs her own catering business so not a total food neophyte.
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
For a slightly more upscale southern food experience, South City Kitchen in Midtown is great. (although it's been a few years since I've been)

South City Kitchen is great. Didn't mention it because I don't really consider it soul food, but it's definitely a great option.
post #14 of 47
How is Agave in downtown and Silk in midtown?
post #15 of 47
Chick Fil A!!!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Place to eat in Atlanta