or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New Cleverleys -- Is it the shoe or my foot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Cleverleys -- Is it the shoe or my foot?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
After much anticipation I just received my first pair of Cleverleys. They are "semi-bespoke" cap toes with the signature "suspiciously square" toe. I have to say, I am a bit dissapointed. The shape of the shoe is not very sleek and looks a bit short and fat. Is my reaction fair, or is it that my taste is unrefined? I guess it could it be that I have an ugly foot, which I admit is a bit wide to being with.

Also, the trees seem too small for the shoe and don't fill out the shape when placed inside (they are not very snug). Is this normal? For the amount I paid, I at least expected the trees to fit properly.

Here are some pictures -- including the one in the middle showing the new shoe along with a pair of Barker Blacks I had in my office that seem a lot more sleek, yet still fit pretty well. Please pardon the bad Blackberry photos. I can try to add some more if this doesn't provide enough perspective.
LL
LL
LL
post #2 of 32
Your feet are wide (as are mine), but I honestly don't think they look stubby if that is what you are worried about. Perhaps you had a mental image based on samples/photos? Given the width of your foot an elongated toe might have produced such a look. The trees do look a bit too small.
post #3 of 32
IMHO I think the chisel only works on a fairly sleek shoe and only then if it's slight, barely noticable even. If the last is too square, then chisel can become too marked.
post #4 of 32
Very surprised to see that the trees don't fit the shoes properly.... not snug around the heel at all...
post #5 of 32
those shoes trees are not the right size. i can totally tell. i agree that a chisel belongs on a sleek last. on a bulky last, a chisel toe looks off. it should rather have a round toe
post #6 of 32
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the feedback. My expectations for Cleverley were so high that I am a bit dissapointed. The small trees suggests something is off (maybe the quality control). Also, I wish they would have provided more guidance regarding the chisel toe and the shape of my foot/last. This is my first MTO/semi-bespoke shoe and I would have ordered something different had I known to ask or been made aware.

Any advice on next steps. I take it there is little I can do to address the issues other than live with the shoe and ask for new trees. I have an appointment during their upcoming visit to DC at the end of the month. I'm vacillating as to whether I should cancel or place another order having learned from my mistake.
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK View Post
Thanks for the feedback. My expectations for Cleverley were so high that I am a bit dissapointed. The small trees suggests something is off (maybe the quality control). Also, I wish they would have provided more guidance regarding the chisel toe and the shape of my foot/last. This is my first MTO/semi-bespoke shoe and I would have ordered something different had I known to ask or been made aware.

Any advice on next steps. I take it there is little I can do to address the issues other than live with the shoe and ask for new trees. I have an appointment during their upcoming visit to DC at the end of the month. I'm vacillating as to whether I should cancel or place another order having learned from my mistake.

What sho'nuff said....a round tapered toe is a nice look.
post #8 of 32
That look fine to me. Perhaps you should call Cleverley and ask them if you are disappointed. I have always found them helpful with any question / concern I have.
post #9 of 32
Those frankly look like classic Cleverleys to me, as though they were full bespoke, and match the wierdness of your feet. That is something you either like, or don't like.

Try G&G if you want a bespoke maker who will make a last to smooth out the rough edges of your funky feet.
post #10 of 32
Those look good to me. The shape is elegant.
post #11 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Those frankly look like classic Cleverleys to me, as though they were full bespoke, and match the wierdness of your feet. That is something you either like, or don't like.

Try G&G if you want a bespoke maker who will make a last to smooth out the rough edges of your funky feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Those look good to me. The shape is elegant.

This is helpful feedback. The look is so different than anything I have worn in the past that I was a little thrown off. I'll chalk it up to refining (or discovering) my taste.

Clearly I will need new trees at the very least. I'll call Cleverley on Monday but does anyone know if that will require sending them back across the pond?
post #12 of 32
I like them a lot.
post #13 of 32
Quick answer: your foot.


- B
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
those shoes trees are not the right size. i can totally tell. i agree that a chisel belongs on a sleek last. on a bulky last, a chisel toe looks off. it should rather have a round toe

Please do get them to send new trees. Send me the old ones
post #15 of 32
The shoes look beautiful You have not commented on their fit? Don't mail the shoe trees back. Instead show the trees in the shoes when Mr. Glasgow visits and see what he says first
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New Cleverleys -- Is it the shoe or my foot?