• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of my 1st MTM shirt (Hemrajani / mytailor.com): fit pics added!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While vox is debating the pros and cons of Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts, my first ever MTM shirt arrived today from Joe Hemrajani / mytailor.com.

100_3476-Copy.jpg

I placed my order on Aug. 23rd and had politely asked if they could put a rush on it as I may wear the shirt at my wedding in a few weeks. The shirt would have been delivered even sooner were it not for my contacting them to change the collar size once the shirt was already completed and ready to be shipped. They were extremely accomodating in changing the collar and getting the shirt out to me quickly. As for the shirt itself, here are some specs I had requested:

Fabric chosen is F57446 Nile from their Two-Ply Superfine Cotton selection, priced at $75.
F57446nile.jpg

I was specifically looking for a blue/white striped fabric and was happy they had a two-ply in a shade I liked in that price range. I figured I'd only move up to their luxury fabrics once I've dialed in the fit.

Style Name Style Description
Stitch: Classic 1/4
Collar Style (Length X Height): KH-14 - English Cut Away Collar 3.25 X 1.75 (White collar)
Body Back: Plain Back
Body Front: Placket Front
Cuffs / Sleeves: French Cuff Square
Style Comments:
-Extreme (wider) cutaway collar similar to RLPL Keaton collar
-Split back yoke
-High arm holes with trim sleeves
-Pattern matching at all seams: shoulders, cuffs, sleeve gauntlets, back yoke, etc
-Shirts are laundered at home in hot water

This is the result:
100_3477.jpg

100_3478.jpg

My first impression tearing the enveloppe open is pure stoke. Fabric has a nice crisp hand and is woven in a way that the white stripes are raised creating some texture. I usually avoid these types of fabrics (anything that's not a flat weave) as I've found they often look terribly cheap on rtw shirts. Such is not the case here, whew!

Second observation is that the stripes lign up everywhere. Cool. Stitching appears tight and there seems to be a high stitchcount, but I'm no expert. Machine sewn, of course.

I couldn't have asked for more from a 1st MTM shirt ordered online using measurements taken from several rtw shirts I own and tweaked here and there. At $80 shipped, a great value imo. While perhaps premature at this point, I honestly see no reason I'd buy rtw shirts again.

I look forward to seeing how this shirt will wear and have already booked an appointment with their rep when they come to town to go over adjustments and see their fabrics irl. I'll try to post some fit pics and add more comments later.

Btw, I believe some members have had issues with MTM shirts ordered from other makers that didn't end up with the measurements they had provided. To that end, I'll post the measurements I had entered online, as well as pre-wash and post-wash measurements of the actual shirt so everyone can gauge how accurate mytailor.com was.

*edit: measurements added*

Shirt measurements entered online

neck: 14.5
chest: 19.5
waist: 18
hip: 19.5
shoulders: 17
sleeve length (from shoulder seam): 24.5
shirt length: 31.25
cuff: 9.5
armhole: n/a, I asked for high armholes w/ trim sleeves

Unwashed shirt measurements

neck: 14.8
chest: 20
shoulders: 18
sleeve length (from shoulder seam): 24.25
shirt length: 31.9
cuff: 9.6
armhole: 9.1

Washed (twice in hot water shirt measurements

neck: 14.5
chest: 20
shoulders: 18
sleeve length (from shoulder seam): 24.25
shirt length: 31.9
cuff: 9.6
armhole: 9.0

100_3500.jpg

100_3501.jpg

100_3502.jpg

100_3503.jpg

100_3504.jpg

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, the real question is how does it fit and how well does it fit after the first/second wash?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
well, the real question is how does it fit and how well does it fit after the first/second wash?
+1. Show us your fits!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc

Originally Posted by Rambo
+1. Show us your fits!

Originally Posted by jamesbond
This post sucks without pics! Although i like the cutaway collar.

Notice that it's a review, not a critique my shirt thread. That said, I will post fit pics. Unfortunately, my gf isn't available to snap some pics at the moment and I'm not particularly good with bathroom mirror self-portraits.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I'm not particularly good with bathroom mirror self-portraits.

Step 1?

Buy carpet for toilet lid.

Step 2?

Step on lid.

- B

caligula455

Reaction score
At $80 shipped, a great value imo. While perhaps premature at this point, I honestly see no reason I'd buy rtw shirts again.

I had the same conclusion when i had a tuxedo shirt made by them. I plan to tweek the fit a bit and order a few soon. I found that mine continued to shrink noticably for at least 3-4 washes but it really dialed right into the the measurements after that.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Step 1?

Buy carpet for toilet lid.

Step 2?

Step on lid.

- B

Maybe it's better that I wait for you to receive your first bespoke shirts so you may demonstrate steps 1 and 2. That way, I'll assume the same poses for my own fit pics and the critiques can be more objective.

Where have you gone, vox sartoria?
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you (Woo woo woo).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
That way, I'll assume the same poses for my own fit pics and the critiques can be more objective.

Preview:

thinker21.jpg

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Preview:

thinker21.jpg

- B

I dare ya. Seriously. Think old boy hijinks.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
While vox is debating the pros and cons of Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts, my first ever MTM shirt arrived today from Joe Hemrajani / mytailor.com.
100_3476-Copy.jpg
I placed my order on Aug. 23rd and had politely asked if they could put a rush on it as I may wear the shirt at my wedding in a few weeks. The shirt would have been delivered even sooner were it not for my contacting them to change the collar size once the shirt was already completed and ready to be shipped. They were extremely accomodating in changing the collar and getting the shirt out to me quickly. As for the shirt itself, here are some specs I had requested: Fabric chosen is F57446 Nile from their Two-Ply Superfine Cotton selection, priced at $75.
F57446nile.jpg
I was specifically looking for a blue/white striped fabric and was happy they had a two-ply in a shade I liked in that price range. I figured I'd only move up to their luxury fabrics once I've dialed in the fit. Style Name Style Description Stitch: Classic 1/4 Collar Style (Length X Height): KH-14 - English Cut Away Collar 3.25 X 1.75 (White collar) Body Back: Plain Back Body Front: Placket Front Cuffs / Sleeves: French Cuff Square Style Comments: -Extreme (wider) cutaway collar similar to RLPL Keaton collar -Split back yoke -High arm holes with trim sleeves -Pattern matching at all seams: shoulders, cuffs, sleeve gauntlets, back yoke, etc -Shirts are laundered at home in hot water This is the result:
100_3477.jpg
100_3478.jpg
My first impression tearing the enveloppe open is pure stoke. Fabric has a nice crisp hand and is woven in a way that the white stripes are raised creating some texture. I usually avoid these types of fabrics (anything that's not a flat weave) as I've found they often look terribly cheap on rtw shirts. Such is not the case here, whew! Second observation is that the stripes lign up everywhere. Cool. Stitching appears tight and there seems to be a high stitchcount, but I'm no expert. Machine sewn, of course. I couldn't have asked for more from a 1st MTM shirt ordered online using measurements taken from several rtw shirts I own and tweaked here and there. At $80 shipped, a great value imo. While perhaps premature at this point, I honestly see no reason I'd buy rtw shirts again. I look forward to seeing how this shirt will wear and have already booked an appointment with their rep when they come to town to go over adjustments and see their fabrics irl. I'll try to post some fit pics and add more comments later. Btw, I believe some members have had issues with MTM shirts ordered from other makers that didn't end up with the measurements they had provided. To that end, I'll post the measurements I had entered online, as well as pre-wash and post-wash measurements of the actual shirt so everyone can gauge how accurate mytailor.com was. *edit: measurements added* Shirt measurements entered online neck: 14.5 chest: 19.5 waist: 18 hip: 19.5 shoulders: 17 sleeve length (from shoulder seam): 24.5 shirt length: 31.25 cuff: 9.5 armhole: n/a, I asked for high armholes w/ trim sleeves Unwashed shirt measurements neck: 14.8 chest: 20 waist: 18 hip: 19.5 shoulders: 18 sleeve length (from shoulder seam): 24.2 shirt length: 31.9 cuff: 9.6 armhole: 9.1

I purchased this exact same fabric with a full cutaway collar as well. That's pretty funny to me actually. I chose white cuffs on mine but I was very pleased with how the shirt turned out as well. I ended up having to buy my own mother of pearl buttons because for some reason the Hemranji brothers didn't seem to get that part correct.....oh well, I found my own buttons and made it happen..... Here check it out....
CIMG2635.jpg
CIMG2641.jpg
CIMG2644.jpg
Sorry about the wrinkles....I pulled it out of the hamper to take the pics..LOL!!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
I purchased this exact same fabric with a full cutaway collar as well. That's pretty funny to me actually. I chose white cuffs on mine but I was very pleased with how the shirt turned out as well. I ended up having to buy my own mother of pearl buttons because for some reason the Hemranji brothers didn't seem to get that part correct.....oh well, I found my own buttons and made it happen.....

Cool! I decided just to get a contrast collar as I've come to feel that a contrast collar + cuffs appears too business-like to be worn on social occasions. I didn't know they offered MOP buttons as an option. I guess I can always buy some off naturlaut(?) in B&S and switch these out if I want to in the future. Feel free to serve as my double and post fit pics of your shirt.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads