• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small-timer car recommendation (under 25k)

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a law student, and I'd like a car that goes well with suits but isn't flashy. Think refined more than sporty. Looking to buy a new car and selling within 5 years when I have more money to upgrade. Used cars here in Maine tend to have some rust, high mileage, and other issues.

Right now I'm looking at:
  • Kia Forte Koup
  • VW Jetta TDI
  • Camry Hybrid (a reach)

Going to try some test drives soon. Probably going to stick to automatic transmission since I don't want to ruin a new car, and the resell is better. I don't want a compact, hatchback, or wagon. I also don't want a car that looks outdated too soon (I am reluctant about other Toyotas).

Thanks in advance.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about an Impreza WRX? I personally like the wagon version, but if you don't, the 4-door is just as nice. It hauls ass and is quite a deal, even at sticker price, IMO. Want the refined version? Get it in black.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Jar
i'm buying an 09' tdi next week as a new DD. plan on using this program

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/0...ean-diesel.htm

I'm actually Canadian, and might even go up to NB to bring the car down here (Maine), but it might not be worth it after taxes, etc. VW offers a up to $3000 tax credit, but I'm pretty sure it's for Americans only.
How about an Impreza WRX? I personally like the wagon version, but if you don't, the 4-door is just as nice. It hauls ass and is quite a deal, even at sticker price, IMO. Want the refined version? Get it in black.
The hood scoop looks too ricer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Volvo S40?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Volvo S40?

He asked for a smalltimer car, not an oldtimer car.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
He asked for a smalltimer car, not an oldtimer car.

laugh.gif

Seriously, I see kids in the S40. Hell, think the new S40 was even a car in that video game people are always either playing or complaining about...the one where you shoot cops and run people over?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif

Seriously, I see kids in the S40. Hell, think the new S40 was even a car in that video game people are always either playing or complaining about...the one where you shoot cops and run people over?

Grand Theft Auto is so 1990s. Welcome to the new century, gramps.
smile.gif

dave

Reaction score
Jettas are very nice cars. were I in the market for a sub 25k sedan, it would be my first choice.

Next I'd suggest a Nissan Altima. coupe or sedan, Nissan makes a nice car. depreciation can be a ***** though.

and i know it's heresy around these parts to even suggest something domestic but the Ford Fusion is a really nice car. My mom is about to take delivery of one as a new company car.

I know you said you don't like hatches but a fun choice might be a mini cooper. even an S model can be had sub 25k nowadays.

the kia will KILL you on resale, same would be the case with any Hyundai or I'd say look there. and camrys are D-U-L-L. if you're going to stretch, make it worthwhile and get something you'll be able to find in the grocery store parking lot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Grand Theft Auto is so 1990s. Welcome to the new century, gramps.
smile.gif

laugh.gif

You young whipper snapper. GFA I = 1997. Latest =2008

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good call on the WRX.
fing02[1].gif

Fast, fun, stylish and safe. And they hold their value well (providing it hasn't been modded to hell and back). And I am sure they make an auto model for the US market, if you really insist upon that.

The Subi rally blue is way overdone, but they do have other colours that are nice.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
If you have enough dough the new Camaro looks bad ass and costs less than 25k. Otherwise get a jetta tdi.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
If you have enough dough the new Camaro looks bad ass and costs less than 25k. Otherwise get a jetta tdi.

A camaro fan? I cannot support you for office.

If I lived in Maine I'd buy a truck. Who coordinates their car with their suit anyway?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads