or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Perception of young guy smoking cigars.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Perception of young guy smoking cigars. - Page 6

post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmm54 View Post
Cigars smell a lot. I think smoking them in public, on a crowded sidewalk etc., is inconsiderate. Plus, they are not cool.

Nothing wrong with smoking them in private, cigar bars, etc. Do what you enjoy, but IMO smoking a cigar is not something I want to be "seen" doing.

Yeah..man try coming home from a tasting or after a game at my B&M.
post #77 of 89
We are looking for a few cricketers who are interested in playing for the Dallas Mavericks cricket Club in the Dallas Cricket league.
Prepaid Cellular Phones
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
Ordering something that you don't want just because you don't want to stand out is, in my opinion, just as contemptible as ordering something expensive, which you don't enjoy, just so you can stand out.
I agree with this immensely. Sometimes I find a ripple effect when I go ahead and order something nice for myself. Other people in my party suddenly don't feel strange about their own desire to drink something nice once you break the ice. And you can tell by the general air of someone whether they are doing it for looks or enjoyment. It's like when you see someone in an ill-fitting suit with bicycle toed loafers (in a social non-suit situation of course,) you can tell instantly that they are a clueless douche trying to be "sophisticated." It's just as obvious to a scotch drinker who is actually enjoying their scotch and who is trying to look cool, and although I don't smoke, I'm going to go ahead and assume it's the same way for cigars as well.
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by changy View Post
Kids grow up faster on the UES.

What's that?
post #80 of 89
Presumptuous at best.
post #81 of 89
I'm 23 and have roughly 500 cigars in my humidor. Smoking is just about my favorite social activity with buddies. So relaxing and usually leads of great conversation. For me it's a social activity. I don't smoke and go for a stroll around town. Smoking means I'm on my patio, at the club, or cigar bar.
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialism View Post
I always so feel embarrassed by the pretenses of my youth (i.e. anything I've ever done until a day before yesterday) and ask myself who the heck I think I am, trying to pull _____ off as if I'm the shit? And then I think, well, today I'm old/mature enough, and can proceed. Repeat two days later.

When I was 20 I cringed at how dumb I must have looked puffing a massive cigar at 16. And when I was 22, I felt even more embarrassed by my smoking at 20. And the pattern continues. I wish I'd have ordered the cheaper beer last time I was out with friends, but tonight I'll feel it's alright....until tomorrow!

OP: here's the lesson: just do what you have to do. Yes, you'll look like a bit of a douche and will feel somewhat self-conscious, but you need to start, and the sooner the better. Whenever someone tries acquiring a sophisticated taste they look dumb...until they succeed and then everyone else wishes they were as cool.

I still cringe at my 16 year old self, puffing Churchill cigars and coughing my brains out on Park Ave. Ordering wines whose names I couldn't pronounce. Bragging about my crappy suits. Eating cheeses that made me gag. Going to the Opera and reading impossibly boring and difficult books (on the subway!). I called myself an "existentialist" (I didn't even know what that meant!)

And all of this was with friends who wore tee shirts and talked sports.

I think we have all been there at one point or another. As long as you realise your mistake before you turn twenty, it's all good though.

I usually smoke my cigars either alone or with an acquaintance of mine. Never really understood the point of doing it in public. Saw a picture of the rapper Kanye West at some event where he was standing around with an unlit Cohiba cigar in his mouth. Such behaviour is really quite repugnant.
post #83 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialism View Post

OP: here's the lesson: just do what you have to do. Yes, you'll look like a bit of a douche and will feel somewhat self-conscious, but you need to start, and the sooner the better. Whenever someone tries acquiring a sophisticated taste they look dumb...until they succeed and then everyone else wishes they were as cool.

I still cringe at my 16 year old self, puffing Churchill cigars and coughing my brains out on Park Ave. Ordering wines whose names I couldn't pronounce. Bragging about my crappy suits. Eating cheeses that made me gag. Going to the Opera and reading impossibly boring and difficult books (on the subway!). I called myself an "existentialist" (I didn't even know what that meant!)

And all of this was with friends who wore tee shirts and talked sports.

The point is, if youre doing it and enjoy it, you wont look like a douche. If youre doing it to look cool, you wont, and you WILL look like a douche. It seems as though you did a lot of stuff just to look like you were mature and cultured. That is very sad.
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
The point is, if youre doing it and enjoy it, you wont look like a douche. If youre doing it to look cool, you wont, and you WILL look like a douche. It seems as though you did a lot of stuff just to look like you were mature and cultured. That is very sad.

yeah, but I think I turned out alright. I guess it's better to aspire to those things, right?
post #85 of 89
I just starting getting into cigars a couple years ago and don't keep many around. My wife hates them... i'm a ways away from 30 still but take any chance i can get to have a good cigar... really only a few times a year.

I couldn't care less if older dudes think it's inappropriate, but i also don't think that they do. Everyone appreciates when others take an interest or develop an interest in a common activity. Just be respectful of those around you, that's all.
post #86 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
I just starting getting into cigars a couple years ago and don't keep many around. My wife hates them... i'm a ways away from 30 still but take any chance i can get to have a good cigar... really only a few times a year.

I couldn't care less if older dudes think it's inappropriate, but i also don't think that they do. Everyone appreciates when others take an interest or develop an interest in a common activity. Just be respectful of those around you, that's all.

post #87 of 89
started smoking cigars in my early twenties, mostly to be able to stay away from the cigarettes (quit cigs for 2 years, going out brought a lot of temptation, cigars were my method to keep that at bay) started smoking them even more and got some jobs in the business. most people dont care, and the GF thinks that I should enjoy myself, so I can still smoke indoors.
post #88 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias View Post
Just trying to get a consensus here.

What do you think when you see young guys (19-27) smoking cigars. Is it cool, or does it come off try-hard. What do you think.

i chuckle when we pass by these cigar rooms and there are these young guys in there smoking cigars. understandable though, just got their first job at some corporate place , now they cant help to think their some big shot or important , want to portray some image. wait a decade or so and thatll wane. or not.
post #89 of 89
a majority of the young people smoking in cigar bars are exactly that, but you can tell who is enjoying themselves and who is just blowing smoke. Ive smoked cigars since I was 17 and have never smoked a cigarette
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Perception of young guy smoking cigars.