or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc - Page 39

post #571 of 684
Haberdash in Chicago is doing 20% off all merchandise for Labor Day with code "LABORDAY20", including a ton of great Filson bags.

http://korvue.shophaberdash.com/products/?section=302&tAction=Search&brid=1177

They also said they got another shipment from Filson this morning that isn't listed on the site yet, and I'll post that info here as soon as I hear what they got.
post #572 of 684

Looking for an inexpensive briefcase. Where can I get the 256 briefcase for the lowest price? 

post #573 of 684

I am selling two Filson Bags on Ebay only used one time! Check it out my ebay Name Frodofelix ;-)

post #574 of 684
I've made it to the Seattle Flagship store to try on the new Seattle fit and it's off for me. I'm a 36s suit, 5' 8" so fairly slim so this should be up my alley. I was really excited that finally I could pull Filson off without swimming.

Well this is what I found: The shoulders are very tight in the coats, Mackinaws, tin jackets. The bonded wool has a strange inner texture as if there is a layer of plastic in it- it makes a crinkly, popping sound. The silhouette of the jackets is on for the sleeves and sides, the higher arm holes are great. Again the tight shoulders is strange-I'm hardly a bruiser. I can't imagine layering more than a shirt underneath a small and the medium is a size I might actually get.

However, the fabric, from all the jackets I tried on is very different. The wool on the mackinaw seems thinner, lighter. The tin jackets is DEFINITELY a lighter oz cotton. I really like the Soy Wax Guide Jacket but it is very, very thin fabric. This is the same for the Alaska plaid shirt (Seattle II Shirt) as well- certainly not a 1-1 match with the original shirt. Notice how online they don't tell you the weight on these?

A step in the right direction but the short end of the stick with the fabric. Frustrating.
Edited by US Grant - 10/7/13 at 12:23pm
post #575 of 684
Interesting ... I had assumed that only the fit had been changed, but I guess that it makes sense that they also changed the material since the Seattle line is intended for more urban wear.
post #576 of 684
Hey everyone FYI Orvis has a great deal on Navy Mackinaw Cruiser- $234 sale price, plus another 20% off means 184 for a new Cruiser (they only have Navy, which is a very dark Navy)plus free shipping! Pretty good deal, they go for more used on eBay! not sure how long the sale will last though
post #577 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by conak View Post

Hey everyone FYI Orvis has a great deal on Navy Mackinaw Cruiser- $234 sale price, plus another 20% off means 184 for a new Cruiser (they only have Navy, which is a very dark Navy)plus free shipping! Pretty good deal, they go for more used on eBay! not sure how long the sale will last though

Only available in size 40.
post #578 of 684
Cross-post from the Filson bags thread: Filson web specials. They always have it, but I'd like to point out that they have the Oregon trail jacket on sale right now.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/2800_100#post_6651108
post #579 of 684
ah sweet- good reminder about the web specials. need to take a road trip up to their 2nds outlet before too long.
post #580 of 684

I went up to the outlet again yesterday. Didn't get anything this time, but we talked for a bit, as they actually remembered me from a few months back. What was really cool is they showed me several items that were one-of-a-kind prototypes that never went to full production or had design changes in the final version. They were just mixed in with everything else. There was even a coat that will be going to production in a few months, but they happened to get a sample or something. Pretty neat stuff.

post #581 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzach View Post

I went up to the outlet again yesterday. Didn't get anything this time, but we talked for a bit, as they actually remembered me from a few months back. What was really cool is they showed me several items that were one-of-a-kind prototypes that never went to full production or had design changes in the final version. They were just mixed in with everything else. There was even a coat that will be going to production in a few months, but they happened to get a sample or something. Pretty neat stuff.

Don't leave us (ME!) hanging? What was the prototype that will be forthcoming? I'm really curious how they expand the SF line and hopefully introduce the full versions of the original jackets- that is, the 12.5oz cotton tin cloth. Did they have much in the way of smalls by the way? I'm looking for friends and relatives but would like a small in the SF but figure it's a little early to see one up there just yet.

Thanks for the report- really thinking about going up there sooner than later now.
post #582 of 684

The SF (Seattle Fit) stuff is so confusing, since there's identical products with the Seattle Fit and the normal (Alaskan Fit, I think they call it), but nowhere on the garment does it say which one you're looking at. That stuff is so new that there isn't much of that line yet at the outlet, but there's always something great there. I didn't get anything this time (it was more of a a Christmas research visit for my wife), but last time I got two $400+ coats for $99 each (both size S). As for the for the prototype, I don't remember much about it other than it was a green coat; I was looking at lots of stuff. One disappointing thing I encountered worth noting is one of the thinner new coats had a really flimsy plastic zipper, a far cry from the usual heavy zippers Filson uses. Hopefully they'll abandon that direction.

post #583 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Grant View Post

I've made it to the Seattle Flagship store to try on the new Seattle fit and it's off for me. I'm a 36s suit, 5' 8" so fairly slim so this should be up my alley. I was really excited that finally I could pull Filson off without swimming.

Well this is what I found: The shoulders are very tight in the coats, Mackinaws, tin jackets. The bonded wool has a strange inner texture as if there is a layer of plastic in it- it makes a crinkly, popping sound. The silhouette of the jackets is on for the sleeves and sides, the higher arm holes are great. Again the tight shoulders is strange-I'm hardly a bruiser. I can't imagine layering more than a shirt underneath a small and the medium is a size I might actually get...

I imagine that the plastic feel and the crinkly sound is just function of the bonded wool which is literally wool bonded (or woven) into the more sturdy thick cotton twill. My father has a barn coat that he wears all fall and spring that is a bonded wool and I remember when my mom got it for him for Christmas back when I was in high school (nearly 20 years ago) and laughing when he would wear it because it was so stiff compared to the old quilted denim barn coat that he had. The bonded wool jacket was very quickly broken in though and lost a lot of the stiffness.

No comments on the new Seattle cut though. I've heard very mixed reviews of it but haven't been able to try any on in person. Like you, I like the idea of Filson offering more stuff that I'm not absolutely swimming in but don't want (and cannot fit into) Thom Brown style stuff. I imagine that introducing a new cut to their traditional offerings is probably a work-in-progress and it may take them a season or two to work some of the kinks out.
post #584 of 684

thinking of pulling the trigger on the sf tin cruiser.  any places i should look for online for a deal or just off their website?

post #585 of 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by red81 View Post
 

thinking of pulling the trigger on the sf tin cruiser.  any places i should look for online for a deal or just off their website?

 

Crane's Country Store, which is an affiliate, may have it: http://www.cranes-country-store.com

 

Not everything is online.  You need to call them, mention the referral from Styleforum, and ask.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc