or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Apple f***ing sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple f***ing sucks - Page 20

post #286 of 397
I've used a number of operating systems in my various jobs. Various flavors of MSDOS, several versions of Windows, several Mac OSs, several types of *nix, etc, not including various small embedded OSs. I was lucky enough to work at a facility with a supercomputer even.

I hate them all.
post #287 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I hate them all.

User error, obviously.
post #288 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
User error, obviously.

Of course.
post #289 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
I have to disagree with you pal, there is no propaganda here just my personal experiences using OSX and Windows.

I'd appreciate you saying that upfront then, instead of making sweeping, inaccurate unqualified statements. Or else you are going to force me into doing the same right back.

You guys should know by now that I will. Its one of my favorite diversions.


BSOD is rare. Just as rare as Kernel Panic or an unrecoverable spinning beach ball of death. The main difference between a BSOD and a KP on a Mac is that yes, the BSOD will force a restart of your computer, but before it does this, it TELLS YOU WHAT WENT WRONG SO YOU CAN FIX IT. Kernel Panic doesn't tell you what program, conflict, or hardware issue is F'ing you up. I beachballed a G5 tower so hard once that not even the power button would function. I had to unplug it from the wall.

I have not seen a BSOD in nine years.

Viruses are also, in actuality, pretty rare. Especially if you use a modicum of discretion while online. It's pretty hard to get one. You generally have to be a pretty dim bulb in most cases.
post #290 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Seriously?

So it is never the fault of the programmers that wrote the software it is the fault of the user? Really?

I have to side with matt on this one. Most people that have issues with Windows don't know how to use their computer properly, of course, this is a blanket statement so there are exceptions to the rule.

For example, Apple users are quick to blame Microsoft programmers for making insecure software that are conducive to security faults, and they also like to bring up the issue viruses (mostly Spyware and Adware) on their old PCs (see a few posts above). What they fail to point out is that malware is mostly installed due to careless users downloading random crap or opening stupid links. Dealing with viruses should be more about proactive actions (being smarter and avoiding fishy websites), rather than reactive actions (buying a mac).

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with macs. I just can't stand the false preaching that Apple evangelists spew when I meet them.
post #291 of 397
I think it actually boils down to people not understanding what they want. Out of their computing experience, their computer, life, etc. Then they just decide that they can't make the computer do what it is they don't even know they want. Yeah, I've encountered programming errors, but I've encountered a lot more thoughtless twats. EDIT: Just to be clear, I have no side in this non-arguement.
post #292 of 397
I have great hope for you last two posters. You are doing it right.
post #293 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I have never broken the buttons off a phone, and my phone gets dropped on concrete, smashed against my hip , and etc. Having tactile keys is essential. Maybe not for everyone, but for a lot of people. The most fragile part of a phone isn't the buttons, it's the big ass glass screen. I know more people with broken screens than anything else, on ANY kind of phone. You break that, say in a car accident or something - and you don't have hard keys, guess what? You cannot dial out. You are fucked. You want to dial a phone number while you are driving? (bluetooth earpeice to comply with local law of course) I can do it without looking at my phone. Can you? There are dozens of reasons for having more than a touch screen. The only real reason I can think of to not want one is that generally they make the phone iteslf slightly chubbier. I'm willing to have a slightly thicker phone in exchange for the added functionality of being able to have buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
^ voice command is possible on some phones out of the box or with software add-ons. <--- prefer hard keyboard but just pointing that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I assume then that the iPhone has a dedicated button for voice command and you don't have to go into menus and open the software... I have a dedicated button for voice command.
Yup, Voice Command. Hold down the home button or the button on the headset (two dedicated buttons). When it beeps, you say a name or a phone number and it calls. Asking first could have saved you a lot of typing. I have no need for tactile keys. I use a Mac and a PC. I'll be interested in seeing Win7 because the times I've used Vista have really sucked. It's as if they are trying to pretty it up to the point where it is unusable. It took me five steps yesterday to eject a USB thumb drive. WTF. I still keep XP on my PC because I find it much more functional for how I use it. How many of you PC guys also use Macs?
post #294 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissou View Post
I have no need for tactile keys.
You also have no need for a cell phone, and yet as your lifestyle has changed, it becomes very convenient to have one. This is an analogy. Just so you know.
Quote:
I use a Mac and a PC. I'll be interested in seeing Win7 because the times I've used Vista have really sucked. It's as if they are trying to pretty it up to the point where it is unusable. It took me five steps yesterday to eject a USB thumb drive. WTF. I still keep XP on my PC because I find it much more functional for how I use it.
Uh... really? Cause on both Vista and 7 (I don't remember XP) it's a left click on the remove hardware icon, and a left click on the thubdrive. Sounds pretty easy to me.
Quote:
How many of you PC guys also use Macs?
When I have to. Which, thank God, is not often.
post #295 of 397
I would like to just state my opinion that dragging devices into the recycle bin/trash bin/whatever to eject them is not very intuitive.
post #296 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
You also have no need for a cell phone, and yet as your lifestyle has changed, it becomes very convenient to have one. This is an analogy. Just so you know.
Thanks. I have many things that I do not need. But I actually do need a cell phone, because I do not have a land line at home. What if I have an accident at home. Would I be able to call out??
Quote:
Uh... really? Cause on both Vista and 7 (I don't remember XP) it's a left click on the remove hardware icon, and a left click on the thubdrive. Sounds more functional to me.
1. click to expand the little menu of icons 2. click the remove hardware icon 3. Select the drive from the list 4. Select the type of removable drive from the list that pops up 5. remove the drive Not very functional.
Quote:
When I have to. Which thank God is not often.
You should try it more often if you are into functionality.
post #297 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I would like to just state my opinion that dragging devices into the recycle bin/trash bin/whatever to eject them is not very intuitive.

QFT

It's downright idiotic IMO.

I've stated this before but I built a Hackint0sh and used it 90% of the time for almost 2 months. I didn't get the whole "Apple is intuitive" vibe that Mac people always tout. In fact, I had to Google how to do several things e.g. stop certain processes/programs from auto-starting. I happily went back to my PC and all its awesome programs (many of which are free).

The experiment was a failure.
post #298 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissou View Post
1. click to expand the little menu of icons
2. click the remove hardware icon
3. Select the drive from the list
4. Select the type of removable drive from the list that pops up
5. remove the drive

You're doing it wrong.

It's 2 clicks. One on the safely remove hardware icon + one on the drive. The end.

Alternately, a right click on the drive in explorer and a click on "safely remove".
post #299 of 397
The failed experiment being that you couldn't learn how to use another OS? Too bad. Good thing you can also right click and eject devices or delete files that way if it's too hard to figure out the dragging technique. Here's an example of functionality/intuitiveness: I installed Snow Leopard tonight and when I opened Mail for the first time, I entered my email address and password and it went out and found the exchange server and auto synched my mail, contacts, and calendar with three different programs, two of which weren't even open.
post #300 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
You're doing it wrong. It's 2 clicks. One on the safely remove hardware icon + one on the drive. The end.
That's how it works on XP, but not how it worked on Vista.
Quote:
Alternately, a right click on the drive in explorer and a click on "safely remove".
You forgot the first part about having to open explorer. If only the drive just appeared on the desktop. I'm not trying to pick a fight and say Macs are better, but it's obvious that some of you guys rail on Macs and don't even (want to) know how they operate. No better than the Mac evangelists... Good luck with this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Apple f***ing sucks