• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heads up on GAP Chambray shirt.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually fairly decent. The fit is far superior to the J. Crew chambray, and it is cheaper. The fabric is of course worse, and there are some quality issues, but I think it is worth checking out.

My impression of the store this time, the first I've gone in for a while, is of a cut-rate J. Crew. The aura was rather similar. It may not be the *worst* thing to be.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one and it's pretty good. I've gotten quite a few compliments on it and a friend's girlfriend has been scouring her local gaps for one for him. For $70, it's a pretty solid shirt. I haven't tried the $98 J. Crew, but will when they go on sale.
wink.gif
Now, if I could just fine their grey chambray shirt.. I knew I should've grabbed it the first time I saw it...

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
I've got one and it's pretty good. I've gotten quite a few compliments on it and a friend's girlfriend has been scouring her local gaps for one for him. For $70, it's a pretty solid shirt. I haven't tried the $98 J. Crew, but will when they go on sale.
wink.gif
Now, if I could just fine their grey chambray shirt.. I knew I should've grabbed it the first time I saw it...

Do you live in Canada? The normal gap chambray is $44.50. I think the flagship popover is $49.50. I have the both colors of the normal store chambray. I like the gray one simply because I haven't found a gray for under $175. This season's J. Crew that I have seen looks a lot more like a denim shirt than a chambray to me. Simply not my style. I have two of the older ones though, one is noticeably better fabric than the gap one, one is about the same. The shirt I really like this season is the red and black vintage flannel (there is a white and black version too) that is in the denim shop. It has contrast stitched double pockets and a vent running all the way down the back. WAY better than the boring flannels from Fall.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
Do you live in Canada?

The normal gap chambray is $44.50. I think the flagship popover is $49.50.

I have the both colors of the normal store chambray. I like the gray one simply because I haven't found a gray for under $175.

Oh, doh, brain fart. the 1969 Raw Selvage jeans were $69, the shirt was only $44.50, you're right. For $44.50, it's a hell of a shirt. And, like you, that's precisely why I want the grey. Can't find them for **** anywhere. Seriously, Chambray is an extremely under-utilized fabric. I wish I could find more in blacks and greys..
smile.gif

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like it's time to abuse my cousin's employee discount

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt I really like this season is the red and black vintage flannel (there is a white and black version too) that is in the denim shop. It has contrast stitched double pockets and a vent running all the way down the back. WAY better than the boring flannels from Fall.

yeah, the box pleat is rad. i'd buy it if i could also find the purple flannel online.
frown.gif

can you tell me if the retail stores price-match the online stores?

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Oh, doh, brain fart. the 1969 Raw Selvage jeans were $69, the shirt was only $44.50, you're right. For $44.50, it's a hell of a shirt. And, like you, that's precisely why I want the grey. Can't find them for **** anywhere. Seriously, Chambray is an extremely under-utilized fabric. I wish I could find more in blacks and greys..
smile.gif

If you're a bigger guy, check out the Lands End chambrayin black (http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleev...&origin=search). I emailed them for measurements on the medium and its huge (more like a large) so no good for me.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Do you live in Canada?

I have the both colors of the normal store chambray. I like the gray one simply because I haven't found a gray for under $175.

This season's J. Crew that I have seen looks a lot more like a denim shirt than a chambray to me. Simply not my style. I have two of the older ones though, one is noticeably better fabric than the gap one, one is about the same.

The shirt I really like this season is the red and black vintage flannel (there is a white and black version too) that is in the denim shop. It has contrast stitched double pockets and a vent running all the way down the back. WAY better than the boring flannels from Fall.

Can you post up a picture of the grey chambray? I haven't seen it at my local gap. Where did you see it in Canada (I'm in Canada also)?

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
yeah, the box pleat is rad. i'd buy it if i could also find the purple flannel online.
frown.gif

can you tell me if the retail stores price-match the online stores?

No, retail and online are entirely independent. Even individual stores are priced differently for sale merchandise.

There are 3 or 4 purple flannels in store. I see two online, I know there is also a black, white & purple and a purple & black in stores. I was just in a store today and saw both.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
Can you post up a picture of the grey chambray? I haven't seen it at my local gap. Where did you see it in Canada (I'm in Canada also)?
I'm not in canada. I asked if he was since he was so out of whack on the pricing. but yeah I will try to remember to snap a picture of my gray. Gap calls it light blue chambray but by all defintions it's gray.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you live in Canada?

This season's J. Crew that I have seen looks a lot more like a denim shirt than a chambray to me. Simply not my style. I have two of the older ones though, one is noticeably better fabric than the gap one, one is about the same.

I tried on both of those and liked the black/white better. The fit is pretty good, but it's SO damn thin, and at $50, it makes the $70 J Crew flannels seem like a bargain. I do have a 20% off receipt though, and will probably pick it up.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
I tried on both of those and liked the black/white better. The fit is pretty good, but it's SO damn thin, and at $50, it makes the $70 J Crew flannels seem like a bargain. I do have a 20% off receipt though, and will probably pick it up.

I just looked it up and apparently it's not flannel which is why it's so thin. It's a gauze.

I would assume it's $49 as opposed to the normal $39 or $44 because of all the detail work.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked it up and apparently it's not flannel which is why it's so thin. It's a gauze.

I would assume it's $49 as opposed to the normal $39 or $44 because of all the detail work.

Yeah, I was gonna say, it's not a shirt I'd wear to camp like the J Crew flannel. Still pretty nice though. Gap is coming around very slowly.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Yeah, I was gonna say, it's not a shirt I'd wear to camp like the J Crew flannel. Still pretty nice though. Gap is coming around very slowly.

Yeah it's headed in the right direction. I think they still need to shake off the 40 and 50 something women clinging to the brand who are dragging the style down.

A brand this big is never going to be as niche as even J. Crew can be. However the Jean relaunch and this winter's men's stuff shows there is hope.

As a long time employee I am glad Don got to see the place right itself before he passed. Don Fisher died this weekend:

http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...8/daily11.html

nohomo

Reaction score
I have the Gap chambray as well. Overall I'm happy with it. It does have really crappy buttons and I think the sleeve opening is too wide, but I was able to get it for 11 bucks, so I can't complain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads