• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview attire for academic position in a UK classics department

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a junior political theorist, and I'll be interviewed for a research post in a classics department at a major British university in a couple of weeks' time. My background is in philosophy, and my current job is in a politics/social sciences outfit. So I was wondering whether there may be different/particular conventions in the field of classics. In short: is it preferable to wear a business-y suit or a tweed sportscoat (certainly not a horseblanket or harris tweed, though) and flannels? I've a got a brownish PoW suit that would be the perfect compromise, but I'd rather not wear it for superstitious reasons.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or do something like this, lapels on the waist-coat

Mid-Grey-Lapelled-Waistcoat.jpg

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anything formal or semi-formal will be OK as long as what you wear is not too distracting, too trendy or too bold. Not my field but from what I have seen, professors in classics departments are often as poorly dressed as professors in other departments.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have time to get new clothes. And unfortunately some of my seasonal clothes are now at the tailor's (in Italy) for alterations and/or finishing touches. The realistic and superstition-approved options are:

- Navy 2B worsted suit, fairly slim cut, Zegna cloth.
- Camel-coloured 3B tweed coat (solid-coloured Robert Noble cloth, mid-weight) and mid-grey flannels.
- DB 4x2 cachemere blazer with black horn buttons, and the same flannels.
- Brown RTW 3B corduroy suit -- I'd actually avoid this one, come to think of it.

Gutman

Reaction score
Dress your age for a start. What you wear depends on the university, but try not to look like a comic book version of a uni professor. Keep it smart and neat, and not too expensive looking. A subdued 2-piece suit (preferred), or maybe a smart sports jacket / tie combo. The navy 2B sounds like the one to go for.

pendragon

Reaction score
For classics, I think a toga would be appropriate.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gutman
Dress your age for a start. What you wear depends on the university, but try not to look like a comic book version of a uni professor. Keep it smart and neat, and not too expensive looking. A subdued 2-piece suit (preferred), or maybe a smart sports jacket / tie combo. The navy 2B sounds like the one to go for.

This makes sense. I'm in my late twenties. I guess something at the back of my mind is suggesting that these classics people are somehow more tweedy than us philosophers/politics people, but I'm probably wrong to think that I should dress accordingly.

Doc4

Reaction score

Originally Posted by radicaldog
This makes sense. I'm in my late twenties. I guess something at the back of my mind is suggesting that these classics people are somehow more tweedy than us philosophers/politics people, but I'm probably wrong to think that I should dress accordingly.
The Classics department at that university may be as tweedy as they come, but from time to time every prof has to dress up for special occasions, which means a decent suit ... so show them that you have one. I would think that a dressy blazer outfit would also suffice ...
Originally Posted by pendragon
For classics, I think a toga would be appropriate.

You could at least have found an "Animal House" clip on Youtube ...

Oleg

Reaction score
Don't know about classics depts (I'm a political scientist) but it annoys me when people don't suit up for interviews. But smart and professional rather than flashy and save the tweed until you've got that classics chair at Balliol.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Which university will it be? I have experience of working with the Classics department at Durham and they are great.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
What you wear depends on the university .... The navy 2B sounds like the one to go for.

Having gone through a similar process recently, I agree with both these sentiments. If you're worried about looking too "corporate" in the blue suit, you can try to moderate it with the shirt, tie, and shoes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People who participate in clothing forums are going to be the kind who will be 'annoyed' if you dont 'suit up' for an interview, but honestly I think its best to dress your profession.

In the business/political feild one is expected to be business professional for an interview.

I was a professional race-car fabricator during college and when I interviewed for a position as a fabricator....I dressed like a fabricator. New work boots, jeans and a work shirt.

Now In finance I dress in a suit for interviews.

If i were interviewing someone for a position as a professor I would prefer they show up looking like a professor so that I know what to expect on a daily basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads