or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vass shoe retailer? Another Vass post
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vass shoe retailer? Another Vass post - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Your point is in one sense definitely correct, but I also think that those willing to spend $500 (on $1400 shoes) are a slightly different breed. The $500 is probably more of a stretch for their budgets and they'd more sooner consider international travel to get their shoes. Thought of in that way, the actions to shut down the German seller seems to be a signal from Vass that their only interested in the US consumer willing to shell out $1400, a totally different consumer. Just my thoughts...
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Yeah but if you can afford $500 shoes, your time is probably valuable enough on a per-hour basis that you'd lose money given the travel time required.

Well, maybe, but maybe not. For example, you could depart from New York this Friday at 7 pm, be in Budapest Saturday morning at 9:40 am. Go to Vass Saturday (hopefully the shop is open on Saturdays), and then catch a flight Sunday morning from Budapest at 11:55 am and be back in NY by 3:30 pm local time and still be ready for work Monday morning.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by arced
YouThought of in that way, the actions to shut down the German seller seems to be a signal from Vass that their only interested in the US consumer willing to shell out $1400, a totally different consumer. Just my thoughts...

I'm skeptical that Vass itself is doing anything more than simply responding to loud complaints from their American reps/retailer. They've probably not thought it through very carefully at all.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
Many of us have made the calculations. Time and the hassle is the big obstacle. But, I have had a shoe pilgrimage planned for next fall for awhile and may do some muling.

If you're muling, I'm buying!!
post #20 of 31
Quote:
I'm skeptical that Vass itself is doing anything more than simply responding to loud complaints from their American reps/retailer. They've probably not thought it through very carefully at all.
I guess that's the problem with the internet, things move so quickly. This action seems to be turning off some potential buyers. Still, this seems a bit reminiscent of the outcry over the polo discount code scandal... On a side note, this thread has made the unfortunate image of a Vass shoe mule trying to shove a pair wingtips in a polyurethane shoe bag down his throat pop into my brain.
post #21 of 31
If someone's muling, how do you deal with customs? I know the various bespoke makers that come to the US prove they're not importing by either just bringing one shoe of a pair, or showing that their sample coats are very obviously incomplete.

--Andre
post #22 of 31
Thread Starter 
This place ships to Italy, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland, and another country i'm not sure of. So then its Vass saying these companies can't ship here but being pushed by US retailers? I do have a trip coming up as a graduation present, hmm maybe budapest is in my future. Someone said you can order straight from Vass in an older AA post. I emailed this particular company to see if they would ship to the US and am going to Email Vass to find out if they ship here and a price list. This is somewhat disheartening.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Well, maybe, but maybe not. For example, you could depart from New York this Friday at 7 pm, be in Budapest Saturday morning at 9:40 am. Go to Vass Saturday (hopefully the shop is open on Saturdays), and then catch a flight Sunday morning from Budapest at 11:55 am and be back in NY by 3:30 pm local time and still be ready for work Monday morning.

For many of the NYC professionals who can afford to pay this much for shoes, we have to work weekends (and past midnight during the week!) in exchange for that money. A classic catch-22.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by arced
On a side note, this thread has made the unfortunate image of a Vass shoe mule trying to shove a pair wingtips in a polyurethane shoe bag down his throat pop into my brain.

Down the throat is the easy part. Imagine when the mule has to "produce" the shoes for the buyer
post #25 of 31
Well, I've had my bags searched about twice in over a hundred intl flights. Personally, I'd love to help as many SF members as possible, but in the end, it'd probably be only a couple pairs. Still, duty is pretty negligible when all the figures are tallied in this case. I seriously think an enterprising forum member could fund a nice weekend trip to Budapest.
post #26 of 31
What about buying them at the Budapest shop and FedExing them back to the US (not that I don't trust the Hungarian post office, but...)
post #27 of 31
Another good idea. I wonder if the Vass store would frown on large purchases in various sizes. Similar to LV.
post #28 of 31
Yes, there are great arbitrage possibilities if you have the time and care enough. Mr. Vass might be a little skeptical if you come in and ask for 100 pairs of shoes in all different sizes, however.

I think iammatt had the right question, which is: why are we showing such concern over their distribution methods when 1/2 of their shoes are really quite ugly? A $500 handmade clunker is still a big ugly clunker. But chacun a son gout...
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
For many of the NYC professionals who can afford to pay this much for shoes, we have to work weekends (and past midnight during the week!) in exchange for that money. A classic catch-22.

Oh stop being such a party-pooper.
post #30 of 31
Indeed I have no right to complain, I knew what I was getting into.

Agree with z that a lot of the models are clunky. The "Budapester" or whatever it's called (which is supposedly their most famous design) is just hideous, I'm sorry.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vass shoe retailer? Another Vass post