or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should One Wear Braces?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should One Wear Braces? - Page 2

post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc4 View Post
There's one kind of braces that doesn't get much press but can be pretty spiffy if you do it right ... what I'll call Lumberman's Braces. They're heavy-duty and most typically bright red, and can look great with work clothes. ... here's what I mean: http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

Hummm...Crane's should get this....

Regards.
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp View Post
Never with a belt or a cummerbund.

The cummerbund has no bearing on whether or not you wear braces other than it means you're wearing a dinner jacket, which means you shouldn't be wearing a belt, so braces it is.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
The cummerbund has no bearing on whether or not you wear braces other than it means you're wearing a dinner jacket, which means you shouldn't be wearing a belt, so braces it is.

I was always led to believe that dress pants should be made to fit without the need for brace hence the cummerbund rule I stick to. Also the cummerbund origins is from military dress where it is not worn with braces.
post #19 of 48
^Then why would you ever wear braces? Just have your trousers tailored to fit you.
post #20 of 48
Braces are quickly going the way of the carrier pigeon...or some such animal.
post #21 of 48
Crane's does carry Filson suspenders, they're just not on the site.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff View Post
Braces are quickly going the way of the carrier pigeon...or some such animal.

The way of the carrier pigeon is to return home and be used again.
post #23 of 48
When you are wearing a waistcoat and therefore are not going to wear a belt.
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
The way of the carrier pigeon is to return home and be used again.
If I am not mistaken, he often unloads something along the way
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg1 View Post
When you are wearing a waistcoat and therefore are not going to wear a belt.

Bingo.

Braces are something that date back to a time when all men wore waistcoats. The waistcoat allowed you to wear what is otherwise a ridiculous piece of apparatus. It was a hidden trick operating behind-the-scenes that straightened out the line of the trousers, thus making the wearing look smarter and taller.

Braces worn without a waistcoat or even a coat, on open display for all to see are the mark of a pimp. This is the male equivalent of a women walking around with a her garters showing:

post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post

Braces worn without a waistcoat or even a coat, on open display for all to see are the mark of a pimp. This is the male equivalent of a women walking around with a her garters showing:

I confess I am finding it difficult to find the inappropriateness in this photograph.
post #27 of 48
Sator, she looks just fine....just fine.

Regards.
post #28 of 48
Yeah, I don't see the problem here...
post #29 of 48
Grim, you are back to your old self/little picture!!

Regards.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Naylor View Post
I confess I am finding it difficult to find the inappropriateness in this photograph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikar View Post
Sator, she looks just fine....just fine. Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
Yeah, I don't see the problem here...
True - but none of you guys look very good in garters. Therein lies the problem. Don't post pics to disprove me. I will just believe you if you insist hard enough.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should One Wear Braces?