• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I washed my suits in the bath tub

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
The chemicals in dry cleaning are deadly. Whenever I got my suits & jackets back from the dry cleaners, I always felt nauseas wearing them. Even airing them out for days/weeks didn't help.
It has taken me 20 years to finally get it through my head, that dry cleaning chemicals are deadly to me. I have recently undertaken a desperate measure. I washed all of my suits in my bath tub.
Behold the culprit. Perchloroethylene.

t_17708_01.jpg

I let each suit soak in water and very little liquid Tide for about 3 hours.
It literally took at least 3-4 hours for the PERC to release itself from the fabrics.
After this long soak period, I drained the tub. Refilled with water. Did a second soak for 30 min.
Drained water. Did a third soak for 30 min again. Drained tub, pressing gently with my hands,
as much water as possible from the suits. Then hung dry for 24 hours.
Then gently ironed everything. I am happy to say that not one of my suits was damaged.
Mostly canvassed, but some fused, yet all have survived this process amazingly well.
Suit & jacket brands that were washed include: Canali, Pal Zileri, Zegna, BOSS Black, Stollery's,
DAKS Jermyn Street, Aquascutum, etc.
I have also done the same procedure to my trench coats (Burberry, Aquascutum)
Here is a sample of the water after removing suit from the first soaking.
I don't recommend anyone try this at home unless you are ready to toss the suit altogether.
This was a last resort for me as the chemicals were affecting my health. If it had not worked, I would have trashed the whole lot and started over. Thankfully 100% of my suits/jackets are ok.
I can breath again. and not one of my suits have any smell of those chemicals.
Here's a sample pic of the water.
I lightened the photo for clarity. Believe me that water stunk of chemicals.
Compare the color of the water to the color of the PERC in the photo above.

Bartolo

Reaction score
That's excellent! You got all the perc out!

(That's not perc in that bottle. Read the label.)

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Rats. I just took my suit to the dry cleaners and they use "solvents". I wish you had posted this yesterday
biggrin.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try this.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever read the MSDS for water? The stuff is deadly and needs to be handled with care. I'm not even sure it's legal for home use. Make sure you're wearing safety gear in case you fall into the tub.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love internet fora... you can find the worst possible ideas and advice, and they are often illustrated with bathroom and toilet pictures. What more can one ask?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Have you ever read the MSDS for water? The stuff is deadly and needs to be handled with care. I'm not even sure it's legal for home use. Make sure you're wearing safety gear in case you fall into the tub.
What one may see as an unfortunate accident, I see as a fortuitous event reflecting evolutionary pressures.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand your situation but there are other, better methods to rid your clothes of perc. There are many alternative cleaning solvents used today. Drycleaner's problem is that their machine systems work with certain solvents. New solvents require different equipment requiring $ investment. My cleaner uses a hydrogen process that removes all residue. Cleaning chemicals can oxidize and leave the cloth stiff, the hydrogen neutralizes this.
I ask the cleaner if they use perc and do not use them if they do.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I understand your situation but there are other, better methods to rid your clothes of perc. There are many alternative cleaning solvents used today. Drycleaner's problem is that their machine systems work with certain solvents. New solvents require different equipment requiring $ investment. My cleaner uses a hydrogen process that removes all residue. Cleaning chemicals can oxidize and leave the cloth stiff, the hydrogen neutralizes this.
I ask the cleaner if they use perc and do not use them if they do.

Yes, there are many "green" dry cleaners available today that do not use perc. Why not just patronize one of them?
confused.gif

greyinla

Reaction score
I agree perc is nasty--CA has banned it--but as suggested, there are alternatives. If you can find a cleaner locally that uses CO2, that's your best bet.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to handwash my cashmere and merino sweaters. Not sure how to though. Just cold water and powdered soap? How to dry?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
I want to handwash my cashmere and merino sweaters. Not sure how to though. Just cold water and powdered soap? How to dry?

Good question.

[savage]

Reaction score
Aside from the perc debate, I have a question related to your drying method. Would it not be better to lay the suits flat on a bath sheet to dry rather than hanging them and potentially stretching the fabric?

[savage]

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz

I use my front load washer on delicate with liquid detergent. Then I reshape the sweater and lay it flat on a bath sheet to dry. Hanging it to dry will cause stretching.

horton

Reaction score
I would handwash them with the cashmere soap from The Laundress. It's pricey but works great and a little goes a long way. Dry flat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads