or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 623

post #9331 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

Regarding the shell cordovan finish changes: Just checking out some of the pictures on their website, the webgems seem to have a noticeably different finish on them.  See for yourself:

Burgundy Leeds (old style finishing):

  

Burgundy Dundees: (new style finishing):

    

Black Leeds (old)  vs black Dundees (new);

  


   

Looks like a good improvement to me .....
post #9332 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Looks like a good improvement to me .....

Agreed. Burgundy shell Daltons are on order. I'm excited.
post #9333 of 48607

When traveling or going on vacation - How many pairs of AE's do you bring along w/ you

since you should give time for your shoes to breath?

post #9334 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejson View Post

When traveling or going on vacation - How many pairs of AE's do you bring along w/ you
since you should give time for your shoes to breath?

When travelling for business, usually 2 - 1 on my feet, 1 in the suitcase.

On vacation, I usually only take 1 pair of AE. When on vacation I like to be casual so it's usually Sebago boat shoes or something along those lines most of the time. AE's would only be for a nice dinner, etc.

Chris
post #9335 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post

Do any of you use the Dalton and/or Fifth Street as a foul weather boot? I'm looking for something dressy I can put a topy on and apply some Obenauf’s HDLP to. Is this crazy or should I just go with something with a rubber sole?  

 

I put a topy on my shell Dalton boots for that reason, no gain. I work at a very large medical center with miles of marble tile floors across several states, they are just as slick as the leather soles when wet. Yes they will add longevity to the leather soles but IMO did not add any traction even on snow they are just too hard without enough grip in them. The vibram Raptor half soles that Crane's put on his Wolverine 1k boots are better for traction from what he said and I will put them on my Fifth St. boots. But only because the leather soles are so soft as they are. I feel if you go to a tread sole even a mini lug it will ruin the profile of the Fifth St. I have the Cascade in brown, Bayfield in brown CXL and black calf, and Black Hills all with rubber soles and they work great to varying degrees although are obviously more casual looking with the rubber tread. The real surprise is the Cascade and I have received several complements while wearing them usually stating that it is a great looking shoe. Which is the real goal of a dress boot to appear as a shoe. I treat the Bayfield CXL and Black Hills with HDLP which works well. It is time for my semi-annual boot cleaning and I am treating 6 pair of hunting and hiking boots this week with HDLP, I've been using it for years and love it. I'm getting ready for bird season starting up in a few weeks, at least provided this heat breaks so I don't kill the dog and myself. But it does turn the leather all the same color of reddish brown after awhile. I'm considering adding the Long Branch in brown waxy leather it is a more casual model of the Dalton with larger punchouts and because of that haven't made up my mind yet.

post #9336 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post

Thanks guys, were his shoes "marked" - like for non-return?

As far as I can tell they are first quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post

Do any of you use the Dalton and/or Fifth Street as a foul weather boot? I'm looking for something dressy I can put a topy on and apply some Obenauf’s HDLP to. Is this crazy or should I just go with something with a rubber sole?  

I use my Fifth Street as a foul weather (rain) boot , but I did not Topy and keep them polished like any of my other dress footwear.
post #9337 of 48607

hi all, I just recently got a pair of Strands from nordstrom and the label that is printed on the inside of the shoe is not on the side, it is on the tongue of the shoe. is this normal or is this a seconds shoe?

post #9338 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy16 View Post

hi all, I just recently got a pair of Strands from nordstrom and the label that is printed on the inside of the shoe is not on the side, it is on the tongue of the shoe. is this normal or is this a seconds shoe?

Sounds weird to me. I havent ever seen a label there (but maybe theyre changing it come fall?) but doesnt sound right
post #9339 of 48607

actually i just called AE and asked, they said that is normal. sometimes the sizing info and shoe info is printed on the sides and sometimes its on the tongue. :)

post #9340 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Looks like a good improvement to me .....

 

Big 10-4. That burgundy is starting to look a lot more like the Alden #8. Mmmmmmmmm. And how deep and inky is that black? To quote Miss Hilton: "Love it".

post #9341 of 48607

Hello Gentleman,

 

I have been wearing my Fifth Streets in good health but noticed today they were fitting a bit tighter than last week. The distance between the vamps (or laces) looks to be more than other photos I have seen of Styleforum members wearing their boots. The distance between the vamps (in my photo) is where I get my best fit though. Should I have gotten a size wider or is this a non issue?

 

 

Regards,

GrensonMan
 

post #9342 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrensonMan View Post

Hello Gentleman,

 

I have been wearing my Fifth Streets in good health but noticed today they were fitting a bit tighter than last week. The distance between the vamps (or laces) looks to be more than other photos I have seen of Styleforum members wearing their boots. The distance between the vamps (in my photo) is where I get my best fit though. Should I have gotten a size wider or is this a non issue?

 

 

Regards,

GrensonMan
 


Not an issue, as long as you aren't getting excessive pinching in the toe area. For shoes where the vamps don't come close, I prefer X lacing instead of bar-style (this is what I do with my 5th streets). Maybe that will give you a different look.

post #9343 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

 

I put a topy on my shell Dalton boots for that reason, no gain. I work at a very large medical center with miles of marble tile floors across several states, they are just as slick as the leather soles when wet. Yes they will add longevity to the leather soles but IMO did not add any traction even on snow they are just too hard without enough grip in them. The vibram Raptor half soles that Crane's put on his Wolverine 1k boots are better for traction from what he said and I will put them on my Fifth St. boots. But only because the leather soles are so soft as they are. I feel if you go to a tread sole even a mini lug it will ruin the profile of the Fifth St. I have the Cascade in brown, Bayfield in brown CXL and black calf, and Black Hills all with rubber soles and they work great to varying degrees although are obviously more casual looking with the rubber tread. The real surprise is the Cascade and I have received several complements while wearing them usually stating that it is a great looking shoe. Which is the real goal of a dress boot to appear as a shoe. I treat the Bayfield CXL and Black Hills with HDLP which works well. It is time for my semi-annual boot cleaning and I am treating 6 pair of hunting and hiking boots this week with HDLP, I've been using it for years and love it. I'm getting ready for bird season starting up in a few weeks, at least provided this heat breaks so I don't kill the dog and myself. But it does turn the leather all the same color of reddish brown after awhile. I'm considering adding the Long Branch in brown waxy leather it is a more casual model of the Dalton with larger punchouts and because of that haven't made up my mind yet.


Can you post a picture of your brown CXL Bayfields after you treat them with HDLP?  I've been told it will dull the shoe in a very serious way, but I'm interested in the waterproof-ness of HDLP.

post #9344 of 48607
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy16 View Post

actually i just called AE and asked, they said that is normal. sometimes the sizing info and shoe info is printed on the sides and sometimes its on the tongue. smile.gif

Oh i thought you meant the Allen Edmonds label that they stitch on the side of the shoes
post #9345 of 48607

FYI - new Fall styles have just been added to AE's website, such as the Patriot and classic styles like the PA and Strand being offered with a tap sole.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread