or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 607

post #9091 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekosmicdesign View Post

I know this is the "appreciation" thread and while I am quite appreciative of my first real dress shoes, the one thing I wish the Park Ave had was a longer cap on the toe. It seems a bit too short. For my next shoe I wanted a brown 5th Ave but since the cap toe is essentially the same size as the PA, I am looking at other brands.

Many would agree that the cap is too short. You are not alone, my friend.
post #9092 of 46882

I gotta be honest, after seeing that Harrison next to the PAs, I realize how subpar the 5 last balmorals are shaped.  I remember seeing the thread recently about calling AEs "blobby", and while I wouldn't resort to that really, I understand some of the shoe snobs' point when they talk about that.  Even looking at my Strands, I can't help but think the overall shape of the shoe is not as good as it could be.

 

After looking at the Vernon (a black bal on the 8 last), I realize what could be and it makes me long for a true cap-toe bal on the 8 last from AE.  As it stands right now (I'm in the market for a black bal to replace my J&Ms), I would be a lot more likely to go with the Vernon than the PA, despite it not being a true cap toe.

post #9093 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

I gotta be honest, after seeing that Harrison next to the PAs, I realize how subpar the 5 last balmorals are shaped.  I remember seeing the thread recently about calling AEs "blobby", and while I wouldn't resort to that really, I understand some of the shoe snobs' point when they talk about that.  Even looking at my Strands, I can't help but think the overall shape of the shoe is not as good as it could be.

 

After looking at the Vernon (a black bal on the 8 last), I realize what could be and it makes me long for a true cap-toe bal on the 8 last from AE.  As it stands right now (I'm in the market for a black bal to replace my J&Ms), I would be a lot more likely to go with the Vernon than the PA, despite it not being a true cap toe.


 I went with Vernon over PAs and don't regret that decision. Also AE did have a cap toe on the 8 Last, the discontinued Niles, and it looks much better than PA. They seriously need to reintroduce it.

post #9094 of 46882
Anyone here know how to make a shoe less wider? AE runs specials every now and then of some shoes that are much cheaper but only come in D width. They had some rough macneils that were sub 150 in the past and the amok is 125 right now. If you are a B or C is there anyway to make these D widths fit? Are heel grips or tongue pads the best way?
post #9095 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchen View Post


 I went with Vernon over PAs and don't regret that decision. Also AE did have a cap toe on the 8 Last, the discontinued Niles, and it looks much better than PA. They seriously need to reintroduce it.

I remember the Niles and it was better looking than the Park Avenue. I wish AE would offer the Niles in the new grey color. I would definitely get that one. As it is, I may have to settle for the Park Avenue in grey.

I also have the Vernon in the saddle brown. It is a very under rated shoe, in my opinion. Very nice.
post #9096 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Many would agree that the cap is too short. You are not alone, my friend.
Just wanted to point out that the size of the cap relative to the rest of the shoe actually differs on the same model of shoe when comparing pairs of differing sizes. I noticed this when trying on the Clifton at nordy--the 9.5eee had a proportionally MUCH shorter cap than the 9eee.
post #9097 of 46882

You can try tongue pads etc.  I don't recommend it.  Disappointing, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticfoodie View Post

Anyone here know how to make a shoe less wider? AE runs specials every now and then of some shoes that are much cheaper but only come in D width. They had some rough macneils that were sub 150 in the past and the amok is 125 right now. If you are a B or C is there anyway to make these D widths fit? Are heel grips or tongue pads the best way?
post #9098 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

I thought shell creased more than calf. Most of the pictures I have seen show shell creases to be more noticeable than calf.

no, shell doesn't crease, it rolls for lack of a better word. If you see creasing, its not shell
post #9099 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

no, shell doesn't crease, it rolls for lack of a better word. If you see creasing, its not shell

this.
post #9100 of 46882

Do the cordovan roll!

post #9101 of 46882

It should be noted, though, that if there is an appreciable amount of wax or polish in the valley of the rolls, you may see creasing, or actually a linear band of a porous appearance, where the wax/polish itself (if thick enough) is cracking...of sorts. For what it's worth, that SHOULD be noticeably different from the calf-like cracking present on other shoes.

post #9102 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzleCizzle View Post

It should be noted, though, that if there is an appreciable amount of wax or polish in the valley of the rolls, you may see creasing, or actually a linear band of a porous appearance, where the wax/polish itself (if thick enough) is cracking...of sorts. For what it's worth, that SHOULD be noticeably different from the calf-like cracking present on other shoes.

A little Reno' and brushing ('till your arm falls off) will remove that buildup
post #9103 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post


A little Reno' and brushing ('till your arm falls off) will remove that buildup

True story. I dig myself into that whole because I like to polish up my cordovan loafers to a mirror shine using saphir mod luxe wax, then the rolls just do their thing and i have to clean out the cracks. A vicious, yet beautiful circle.

post #9104 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchen View Post


 I went with Vernon over PAs and don't regret that decision. Also AE did have a cap toe on the 8 Last, the discontinued Niles, and it looks much better than PA. They seriously need to reintroduce it.

Found some pics of the old Niles here: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Oxford-Brandy-Aniline/dp/B000H12MCQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

What a great shoe! They seem to be reducing the number of shoes on the 8 last, unfortunately.




And as a bonus, they even came pre-bowed!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #9105 of 46882
^

Pre-bowing, how thoughtful...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread