or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 590

post #8836 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I've never heard this before - interesting ....
I have C&J's (Peals) from BB and C&J Benchgrade, and there is no noticeable difference.

Some of the differences between P&Co and C&J BG include channeled soles and the edge of the sole by the arch is curved (sorry don't know the technical term for this). These are extra detailing that some people appreciate but others might think negligible. IMHO I think the leather of HG is much better than that of the P&Co. HG I think has oak bark tanned soles which I am not sure if P&Co. have the same standard.

The difference between C&J and AE is there but I think it comes down to the fit of the last, style, and if you are willing to pay the extra $ for the C&J. I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.
post #8837 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post

Some of the differences between P&Co and C&J BG include channeled soles and the edge of the sole by the arch is curved (sorry don't know the technical term for this). These are extra detailing that some people appreciate but others might think negligible. IMHO I think the leather of HG is much better than that of the P&Co. HG I think has oak bark tanned soles which I am not sure if P&Co. have the same standard.
The difference between C&J and AE is there but I think it comes down to the fit of the last, style, and if you are willing to pay the extra $ for the C&J. I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.


This is exactly right. I own several pairs of the Peal C&Js, and there is no comparison to AE. They use better leather and are better finished. But you pay for that. That is not a knock against AE at all - both are good values at their respective price points.
post #8838 of 50905
I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.

No objection.

As I type I am wearing my dark brown shell Strands .....
post #8839 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.
No objection.
As I type I am wearing my dark brown shell Strands .....

 

Agreed.  I look outside AE is when I want a particular shoe and do not like the last or styling for the AE version.  My dislike for the Fifth Avenue is the major reason for going with the Peal perf. cap toe.

post #8840 of 50905

 

Hi everyone,

 

Just wanted to share a shot of my first AEs - the walnut Strands. Very pleased with them so far :)

post #8841 of 50905
post #8842 of 50905

Hi I downloaded the AE size guide from AE site http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf and printed it out in the correct size (credit card fits into the box). My length after using the size guide turns out to be a size 11, I assume this would be an US size 11. What is puzzling is that all my shoes and boots are either US size 8 or US size 8.5 (Lucchese boots and Redwings boots etc.). Is AE's size that far off from the normal size that I need an 11?!

 

Is this an error?! I used a ruler to measure the length of my foot from heel to big toe and its between 26cm to 27cm.

post #8843 of 50905

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance in my attempt to understand the comfort expectation of AE shoes.  I have tried both the Del Ray and the Shelton and by the end of the day my feet are killing me.  I have tried wearing them for a few hours over a period of days attempting to work up to longer periods of wear with no luck.  Fortunately with Nordstroms great return policy I have been able to return them.  I have also tried the C&J sold by Brooks Brothers with the same results.  The fit seems to be okay with all of these shoes.  I think it is the lack of cushioning that is creating the problem.  I know Johnston & Murphy shoes are suppose to be of lesser quality but I have a pair of their Aristorcraft wingtips with the "Trampoline" cushioning that I can wear all day and they feel great.  So, what is going on with my attempt to move to AE?  I really like the quality and would like for them to work.  Thanks for your help.

post #8844 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFtx View Post

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance in my attempt to understand the comfort expectation of AE shoes. I have tried both the Del Ray and the Shelton and by the end of the day my feet are killing me.  I have tried wearing them for a few hours over a period of days attempting to work up to longer periods of wear with no luck.  Fortunately with Nordstroms great return policy I have been able to return them.  I have also tried the C&J sold by Brooks Brothers with the same results.  The fit seems to be okay with all of these shoes.  I think it is the lack of cushioning that is creating the problem.  I know Johnston & Murphy shoes are suppose to be of lesser quality but I have a pair of their Aristorcraft wingtips with the "Trampoline" cushioning that I can wear all day and they feel great.  So, what is going on with my attempt to move to AE?  I really like the quality and would like for them to work.  Thanks for your help.

I have the Delray and this has never happened to me. Perhaps you should try a thin insole?
post #8845 of 50905

The blue cronmoks look great... but I was wondering what exactly does one wear with blue shoes? With casual wear, it would be too matchy-matchy with jeans and it is definitely too casual to wear with "business casual" clothes. Any thoughts?

 

post #8846 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellshoe View Post

Hi I downloaded the AE size guide from AE site http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf and printed it out in the correct size (credit card fits into the box). My length after using the size guide turns out to be a size 11, I assume this would be an US size 11. What is puzzling is that all my shoes and boots are either US size 8 or US size 8.5 (Lucchese boots and Redwings boots etc.). Is AE's size that far off from the normal size that I need an 11?!

Is this an error?! I used a ruler to measure the length of my foot from heel to big toe and its between 26cm to 27cm.


It's almost certain that your printer scaled the page down ever do slightly. Mine did it the first time I tried to print it out. Check the size by taking a credit card and putting it into that box they have for size comparison. On mine, the credit card was just slightly too big, and I realized my printer scaled things down. My shoe size was reading ~2 sizes too big with it I re-printed the guide without scaling and it was perfect.
post #8847 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

New boots are on the AE website. Order away!!
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_120552_120552_109902_subcategory
Chris


I love the Cronmok but hate the name.

post #8848 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFtx View Post

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance in my attempt to understand the comfort expectation of AE shoes.  I have tried both the Del Ray and the Shelton and by the end of the day my feet are killing me.  I have tried wearing them for a few hours over a period of days attempting to work up to longer periods of wear with no luck.  Fortunately with Nordstroms great return policy I have been able to return them.  I have also tried the C&J sold by Brooks Brothers with the same results.  The fit seems to be okay with all of these shoes.  I think it is the lack of cushioning that is creating the problem.  I know Johnston & Murphy shoes are suppose to be of lesser quality but I have a pair of their Aristorcraft wingtips with the "Trampoline" cushioning that I can wear all day and they feel great.  So, what is going on with my attempt to move to AE?  I really like the quality and would like for them to work.  Thanks for your help.

 

The only way I can make sense of your experience is to assume you usually wear dress shoes that are made almost like sneakers (Rockport, Ecco, "trampoline cushioning," etc.).  Are my AE's as comfortable as a sneaker dress shoe, well no, but they're pretty darn comfortable for a dress shoe.  Otherwise, maybe it's a fit/size issue.  Where is the pain?

post #8849 of 50905
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

The only way I can make sense of your experience is to assume you usually wear dress shoes that are made almost like sneakers (Rockport, Ecco, "trampoline cushioning," etc.).  Are my AE's as comfortable as a sneaker dress shoe, well no, but they're pretty darn comfortable for a dress shoe.  Otherwise, maybe it's a fit/size issue.  Where is the pain?

Thank you for your reply.  The bottoms of my feet tend to be sore.  I work at a stand up desk so I'm on my feet all day.  By the time I walk to my garage a couple of blocks from my office at the end of day I can't wait to get out of the shoes.  I have considered the fit and have been fitted at Brooks Brothers and and Nordstroms (not to say they are experts) and don't really feel any particular problems of them being too short, etc.  As I mentioned I have worn J&M dress shoes for years and have been able live in them all day including walking around the city.  I had hoped to move up to a bit higher quality shoe in an AE or CJ.  Thanks for your help.

post #8850 of 50905
you may have to suck it up for a while until your feet get used to not walking on significant cushioning. They are harder and your feet may take a while to get used to it, but it is actually better for your foot this way if you can deal with the temporary soreness.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread