or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 568

post #8506 of 49731
Gents below is a picture of my AE Fifth Avenue. They are 2 months old and I have worn them 4/5 times during these time. Yesterday I have realized that the stitching is coming out already ! My hands shakes when taking picture so please apologize my crappy picture. What it seems that if I pull the small thread the whole thing will come out. Should I take them to a cobbler or leave them for the time being and take them later if it gets worse ?
post #8507 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Gents below is a picture of my AE Fifth Avenue. They are 2 months old and I have worn them 4/5 times during these time. Yesterday I have realized that the stitching is coming out already ! My hands shakes when taking picture so please apologize my crappy picture. What it seems that if I pull the small thread the whole thing will come out. Should I take them to a cobbler or leave them for the time being and take them later if it gets worse ?

It's hard to see how bad it is. Did you buy from an AE store? Shoot them an e-mail and they might repair it or replace them for you
post #8508 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticfoodie View Post

It's hard to see how bad it is. Did you buy from an AE store? Shoot them an e-mail and they might repair it or replace them for you

I am in Australia bought from endless. Sending them back to us is not an option(will cost over $80).
If you right click on the image then click open in new tab it will give a bit better image. I will try to get better pic tomorrow. Sorry my hands shake and unable to take good picture.
post #8509 of 49731
It looks like the part you are talking about is the thread near your bottom lace. Either cut it off and leave it to take it to a cobbler. Next time you get them resoled, the cobbler can take care of it for a very nominal cost. (my bet is less than $10).
post #8510 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Thanks for that seer. My McTavish were just too light me. I prefer my shoes to be a little bit darker than my pants and my McTavish were just too light. So I used 3 coats of neatsfoot oil. Because the left was darker than the right to start with in places I "painted" the right with a 4th coat in those places to exactly match the other shoe and overall the finished look is better to me. I also have the Elgin which is a little bit dressier shoe in both finish and color IMO. The McTavish now look close to the Elgin, but still a bit more casual. I am more than pleased with the results, thanks seer.

 

Before:

 

1000

 

After:

 

1000

 

Wow they came out great! Quite a change! I used a little Saphir Renovateur a couple of days after the Neatsfoot - after almost two weeks the color remains dark. 


Edited by seer - 8/8/12 at 5:22am
post #8511 of 49731

Thank you Cold Iron, sevenfoldtieguy and bucksfan for your advice on AE and Alden Shell.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post


Very nice analysis. I have noticed the same differences, but came to the opposite conclusion. I like AE's finish on burgundy and black much better -it lets the leather's natural variation come through. If you want a higher shine on your black shell, there's always kiwi.
I like the finish AE puts on the brown shell better than C&J. C&J just puts way too much polish on in my opinion.

 

I thought the RL Marlow made by C&J looked absolutely fantastic! Now, I must have a closer look at AE brown shell. Thanks.

post #8512 of 49731
Sorry here is a better picture. By the looks of it if I pull this thread it will undo few more stitches. I will leave it until it gets worse.
post #8513 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Sorry here is a better picture. By the looks of it if I pull this thread it will undo few more stitches. I will leave it until it gets worse.
700

Ok, don't take this as gospel but... When I have run into this problem I just use a match and burn it back. Most thread has nylon in it and it will kind of lump up and not pull through (though I would usually only do this on boots) . Or get some glue on the back side of the threads (the bottom three or four threads) - that will prevent them from pulling through any further. After that dries, gently pull up the excess we see above and snip it off.

post #8514 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post

Ok, don't take this as gospel but... When I have run into this problem I just use a match and burn it back. Most thread has nylon in it and it will kind of lump up and not pull through (though I would usually only do this on boots) . Or get some glue on the back side of the threads (the bottom three or four threads) - that will prevent them from pulling through any further. After that dries, gently pull up the excess we see above and snip it off.

 

Works like a charm, every time.

post #8515 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Thanks for that seer. My McTavish were just too light me. I prefer my shoes to be a little bit darker than my pants and my McTavish were just too light. So I used 3 coats of neatsfoot oil. Because the left was darker than the right to start with in places I "painted" the right with a 4th coat in those places to exactly match the other shoe and overall the finished look is better to me. I also have the Elgin which is a little bit dressier shoe in both finish and color IMO. The McTavish now look close to the Elgin, but still a bit more casual. I am more than pleased with the results, thanks seer.

Before:



After:


The After photo looks a lot like the stock photos of the new darker brown McTavish, but with the natural sole of the Tan version. I love it. May have to buy a 2nd tan and try it myself.
post #8516 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Sorry here is a better picture. By the looks of it if I pull this thread it will undo few more stitches. I will leave it until it gets worse.

If you bought them new from AE's you can return them, if purchased from a third party then use the fire method.
post #8517 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jescha View Post

Thank you Cold Iron, sevenfoldtieguy and bucksfan for your advice on AE and Alden Shell.


I thought the RL Marlow made by C&J looked absolutely fantastic! Now, I must have a closer look at AE brown shell. Thanks.

Do as you must, but it is worth pointing out that the dark brown shell that I own from these respective companies - AE Strand; C&J Bradford - is quite different. My AE is quite a bit darker. So the comparison might not be apples to apples, in terms of color. FYI only.
post #8518 of 49731

Can't believe all the 3 last shoes.  I may have to try on the Harrison and see how I like it compared to my Park Avenues.

 

120807_001.JPG

post #8519 of 49731
Looks like Lands End has a few new AE shoes on their website this morning:


Stewart in a navy suede w/ natural edging and a McAfee heel:

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-stewart-plaintoe-oxford-shoes~242204_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::278&CM_MERCH=IDX_men-_-new-arrivals&origin=index


Black and Cognac McTavish with a McAfee heel (the black appears identical to the Brooks version, aside from the branding in the footbed).

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-mctavish-wingtip-shoes~242203_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::12J&CM_MERCH=IDX_men-_-new-arrivals&origin=index
post #8520 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaplatypus View Post

Looks like Lands End has a few new AE shoes on their website this morning:
Stewart in a navy suede w/ natural edging and a McAfee heel:
http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-stewart-plaintoe-oxford-shoes~242204_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::278&CM_MERCH=IDX_men-_-new-arrivals&origin=index
Black and Cognac McTavish with a McAfee heel (the black appears identical to the Brooks version, aside from the branding in the footbed).
http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-mctavish-wingtip-shoes~242203_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::12J&CM_MERCH=IDX_men-_-new-arrivals&origin=index


I like the navy suede Stewarts, but I think they would be much more versatile with a darker sole. I've been waiting for a blue suede PTB for a while now... come on AE!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread