or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 534

post #7996 of 46478

JJR, I used the chili edge dressing just recently on my walnut Strands and they looked fantastic. 

post #7997 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus2112 View Post

Sizing question:
Found my best fit at the Allen Edmonds store for the Park Ave to be 12B. She measured me at 13 for my arch measurement but 12 for the toe. For comparison i've been buying size 11D or 11.5D most of my adult life. Always been long enough but was a bit wide. Realized that I can't afford both the STrand and the Park ave right not so i'm looking to purchase some lightly used Park Aves. Found some in 11.5C and 11.5B. Wondering if anyone has insight as to how the width would compare to the 12B. The 12B was just snug enough in the toe box (where it counts) and a little loose in the heel. Assuming i'm good on length, I'm trying to figure out if i'd be OK with the 11.5 in a similar width.
How much do widths change as the size goes up?
-James

 

Honestly, the best way to know is to try it out, but it sounds that if the 12B was snug in the toe box, I don't think going down any more would be wise...  When i tried on the 9.5D Neumora, not only was it wide, but also very loose in the toe box.  A 9D was perfect. 

 

If you shorten the shoe then go up to a C in width, it might be good for you, however you really aren't going to know until you try them on.  Going from a 12B to a 11.5B will be too snug if I had to guess, after experiencing the surprisingly noticeable different between a half size down in the same width. I quickly realized that the 9D formed well to my foot, width wise, compared to the 9.5D.

post #7998 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post


The lady I spoke to the other day said that there were three new boots coming out, but she could not reference the low boot - I guess I will have to wait.

 

I need to put something in their suggestion box, because the "boot" style I would love to get my hands on cost $1500.  They need to make a balmoral boot, preferably cap to with full broqueing, in cordovan #8... i would settle for walnut calf as well.  There is a pair of G&G's that i have been drooling over (see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1k8mJt3iI) however I can't find anything close to those.  Alden's are mostly blucher style, and i'm not crazy about the Daltons.  Looking forward to seeing what they come out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

JJR, I used the chili edge dressing just recently on my walnut Strands and they looked fantastic. 

 

Good to hear, looking forward to giving them a good polish tonight

post #7999 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by nater View Post

I don't know when they're being announced, or if this applies to the "low boot" you mentioned, but I was told by a reliable that at least one of the boots being introduced this fall will feature a grey leather, which I'm very interested to see.

I saw several shoes, including the Park Avenue, in gray leather earlier this year when I met an AE sales rep.

Chris
post #8000 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post


The lady I spoke to the other day said that there were three new boots coming out, but she could not reference the low boot - I guess I will have to wait.

The one I saw earlier this year was called the Long Branch and it was a low boot. Check out this link to Amazon - the Long Branch is in the URL, but nothing on the page yet. I'm guessing August 1 for the release date.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Allen-Edmonds-Long-Branch/dp/images/B008L36R28

Chris
post #8001 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

 

I like how tight you were able to lace those - looks good.


I like that look, especially with the bar lacing.

 

Those are in 9E. I can wear a 9D, but the laces wind up spread a bit more and the shoes take longer to break in. I have three pairs of shoes built on that last in 9E, from 8 to 2 years old and they all fit wonderfully.

post #8002 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

 

I tried the Neumora on in Boston on Saturday.  Surprisingly, they run even longer than the 5 last.  A 9.5D for my Strands and Neumoks fit like a glove, the Neumora 9.5D fairly long and wide, 9D was much better and fit almost identical to my 9.5D Strands.

 

Just incase anyone is wondering how they fit...

 

Also, the manager suggested the Chili edge and sole dressing for my walnut strands... i thought neutral was the way to go, but I will try it tonight and see how it looks...

 

Do you size down/ width up on the 5 last?

post #8003 of 46478
post #8004 of 46478
I am guessing the boot that is coming out in gray leather will be the Kings Point, the second winner from the Parsons design contest. While I would love a boot in gray, I am hoping there will be more than just this option - I just do not care for it.
[=http://www.allenedmonds.com/parsons][/]
post #8005 of 46478

As a follow-up on our discussion of how the perfect AE balmoral captoe would be on the 8 last and resemble the Clifton's toe box, I present these vintage Cliftons.  I'm lukewarm on the adelaide design in black, but this picture shows everything that's wrong with the Park Avenue's toe. 

 

AE, it's time to bring these (or another 8 last balmoral captoe) back as a timeless classic. Let's get on it.

 

 

 

$(KGrHqZ,!jQE+)p(dpV)BQFYi!ffWQ~~60_57.JPG

post #8006 of 46478
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I can't try on either one, but will avoid the 11.5B.

-James
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

Honestly, the best way to know is to try it out, but it sounds that if the 12B was snug in the toe box, I don't think going down any more would be wise...  When i tried on the 9.5D Neumora, not only was it wide, but also very loose in the toe box.  A 9D was perfect. 

If you shorten the shoe then go up to a C in width, it might be good for you, however you really aren't going to know until you try them on.  Going from a 12B to a 11.5B will be too snug if I had to guess, after experiencing the surprisingly noticeable different between a half size down in the same width. I quickly realized that the 9D formed well to my foot, width wise, compared to the 9.5D.
post #8007 of 46478

There was a grey Neumok posted a while back  .  .  .

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveshoes View Post

More pictures!

White suede players, grey neumok, walnut lombard, burg lexington
263
post #8008 of 46478

New Burgundy Shell MacNeils home from the store.

 

 

 

700

 

 

Out and about today.

700

post #8009 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekato1 View Post

 

Do you size down/ width up on the 5 last?

 

I measure on the scale, standing up... 10.75L and 10.25R, to be as specific as possible.  I was measured a month ago.  I wear a 9.5D on the 5 last.  The 3 last that the Neumora is on appears to run even longer and wider than the 5 last since i needed to come down another half size to a 9D.

 

Edit:  Read that wrong... no, I have yet to find a shoe where I have to adjust the width.  9.5D works well for me so far with all of the shoes that I have tried on/purchased.  If I ever get a shoe on the 7 last (or any normal fitting, regular width last,) we'll see if i need a C width...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

As a follow-up on our discussion of how the perfect AE balmoral captoe would be on the 8 last and resemble the Clifton's toe box, I present these vintage Cliftons.  I'm lukewarm on the adelaide design in black, but this picture shows everything that's wrong with the Park Avenue's toe. 

 

AE, it's time to bring these (or another 8 last balmoral captoe) back as a timeless classic. Let's get on it.

 

 

 

$(KGrHqZ,!jQE+)p(dpV)BQFYi!ffWQ~~60_57.JPG

 

Those are sharp... so they moved the clifton itself to a blucher.  Interesting.  Also, to add... The Evanston is a beautiful shoe as well.  I wish I knew about AE for more than a couple months because that would have been the first AE shoe I purchased.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus2112 View Post

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I can't try on either one, but will avoid the 11.5B.
-James

 

Whats the closest AE store?  Or Nordstroms?  The shoe is on a 5 last, you should at least be able to do a test fitting if you do have somewhere local, no?

post #8010 of 46478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

Whats the closest AE store?  Or Nordstroms?  The shoe is on a 5 last, you should at least be able to do a test fitting if you do have somewhere local, no?

Closest AE store is a 45 minute train ride away and, according to the website, none of the Nordstroms nearby carry that size/width combo. grrrrrr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread