I got a pair of McTavishes but I'm seriously considering going back next paycheck to get a pair of Strands after seeing them in person. Definitely go check them out.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:37am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/28/15 at 11:25am in Classic Menswear
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:43pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 518
Styleforum Top Picks
In his post, he mentioned specifically getting them in Walnut.
I was going to mention the Elgin and McTavish for him as well. I think as far as a "casual" shoe goes, those are both great choices. The Elgin is a bit darker than the McTavish, so if there's a preference/concern about overall color, that might be something to consider. But both are a great choice for the brown/tan category.
I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing both the McTavish and the Strands at the same time.
Got the 4th AE Shell in past month. The Macneils and Leeds fit fine in 11.5D but the brown Strand is a wee bit tight and long in 11.5D. Will for the first time, go to the AE store at lunch and actually get sized!
Likely get the Strand in a 11E and give the 11.5D back at the store.
Ya my first two pairs were 10D, when i picked up the shell strands i went to AE in boston and made sure i was properly fitted. On the 5 last, turns out i'm a 9.5 Def step down a half size...
So I did go to the AE store and on the *Device*, i was L-10D R-11D, and I normally wear a 11.5D. I tried the 11E in PA (same last) and it was loose, so ended up getting the Shell Strand in a 11D and its fine.
Thanks for the update. After my exchange with JokerMan, I looked more closely at the Brannock instructions.
It was insightful regarding the comparison between heel to toe measurement and heel to ball measurement. Typically, I let the SA take the measurements and make a size recommendation. From now on, though, I am going to ask the SA to show me the two different measurements so I can see how they compare.
The shoes didn't really fit in the box so they were really creased. The insoles were not properly glued down so they are really uncomfortable.
There is glue issues throughout. The leather looks like one solid color in the Nordstrom pics, but irl they have some significant discolorations throughout.
I'm not sure what that sole is.
Having a problem polishing my black AE McAllisters. The odd thing is that it's only on one shoe. Following my normal procedure, I get a decent shine on the left shoe, but the toe of the right shoe past the broguing is just, for lack of better word, dull. the leather even feels different to the touch, a bit less smooth. Any ideas what I can do to get the shine back?
Here's what I usually do:
- Remove dirt with a brush.
- Apply cleaner/conditioner, allow to sit for a few minutes, and remove with cloth.
- Apply polish (sometimes a wax) and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Buff off with a horsehair brush and give a final wipedown with a cloth.
- Edge dressing.
Funny... i am a L-10.5D and R-10D and still felt the 9.5D was a perfect fit. The crease behind the toebox was perfect, thats what made me realize the 9.5 was the fit.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The Look goes on... 2 minutes ago
- › Ambrosi Napoli 7 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 13 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 13 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 14 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 22 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 24 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 24 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 30 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 30 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...