or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 451

post #6751 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

AE makes patent leather shoes, but I think I'd get black PAs or Leeds, and give them a great shine. At least that way you can wear them again.

I've seen the Leeds promoted on occasion, more on AAAC lurkings than here, as reasonably suitable for wearing with a tuxedo. I just got a pair in black shell and I agree that they look like they could hold a far shinier polish than calf (at least for those of us for whom properly-sized patent shoes don't seem to exist). I'm in a tuxedo at least once a month and have been using Park Avenues for the last couple of years unless I find a NOS pair of the Copley or Ritz somewhere in a 14AA.

The only AE patent leather shoe I see right now is the Mayfair, a blucher. The Leeds are similarly not closed-laced. Is this no longer a concern with regard to formal eveningwear?
post #6752 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofstyle85 View Post

350x263px-LL-7cbbf9d0_DSCF6504.jpeg
Allen Edmonds Ashbury, anybody knows if this is shell or not?

Not shell.
post #6753 of 53407

I just scored a pair of black patent leather Kendalls at the AE tent sale in Port Washington, WI for $99.00.  They looked perfect, not marked as seconds--just discontinued, I think.  Like has been said, not many opportunities to wear them, but for the price I had to buy them.  

 

I went on a spree at the tent sale:  Besides the Kendalls, I got a pair of the McTavish in the natural color and pair of the Ridgeway (a webgem wingtip with lugged sole from a few months back) in cognac brown with an orange welt and orange laces.  I'm going to swap out the orange laces for brown.  

 

Then this week I saw that the Finch was on sale so I ordered a pair in tan/navy which arrived at my house two days later.

 

I don't know if I should feel shame for indulging myself so lavishly or to just feel lucky for scoring so many bargains.  

post #6754 of 53407
I say be happy with the score! biggrin.gif
post #6755 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveshoes View Post

So i got two more shell models from the tent sale. The Mcgraws were flawless, couldn't find anything. The PA's I noticed that of the cap right foot is either slightly off center or smaller than the left. I am not sure if I should send it back. I mean with seconds you don't know what to expect. I took some pictures close up side by side. When they are separated like it would be when they are worn, I dont think even the trained eye will be able to see it easily, but who better to ask the SF members.
So should I keep them, or try sending them back and try my luck again?
263
263
263

That's a tough one. It's obviously a very personal choice as each person reacts differently to these defects. For me personally, they would go back. Even if it's not that noticeable, my eyes would be drawn to it all the time and it would bother me and I would regret my decision to have kept them. But if you think it won't bother you, I would go for it. Like you say, nobody else is going to notice.

Let us know what you decide.
post #6756 of 53407

this is crazy - I have the EXACT same cap issue with my fifth avenues - i emailed AE with NO RESPONSE

post #6757 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post

I just scored a pair of black patent leather Kendalls at the AE tent sale in Port Washington, WI for $99.00.

didn't the tent sale end already? did you buy these last week?

asking because i'm regretting not taking advantage of tent sale prices for more seconds!

post #6758 of 53407

I tried Kenilworths in a retail store in Canada yesterday and they had same problem, Left shoe had front cap slightly off center.

post #6759 of 53407
So I went into the Boston AE today and get my foot measured for park ave.

My toe is right on the 10.5 line, maybe slightly over the light if wearing sucks.

The SA told me that I am a 10.5D and should sized down to 10D on the PA because she said that everyone size down on PA. However when I tried on the 10D my foot just hurts. as a result I tried on the 10E and 10.5D.

However, the 10E and the 10.5D feels the same. More interestingly, when I compare the length of 10.5D and 10E I don't see any difference. However I can tell that the E width is slightly wider than the D width.

just my review on the "interesting" 5 lasts.

I also asked her about the players shoe and she told me that it's one of their best looking shoe on the worst last and told me that it's one of the AE executive's favorite.

she also confirmed with me that there will be a new boot coming this fall!!!
post #6760 of 53407
My damaged Cordovon Macneils confused.gif

382
Edited by acousticfoodie - 6/30/12 at 6:17pm
post #6761 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2177 View Post
So I went into the Boston AE today and get my foot measured for park ave.
My toe is right on the 10.5 line, maybe slightly over the light if wearing socks.
The SA told me that I am a 10.5D and should sized down to 10D on the PA because she said that everyone size down on PA. However when I tried on the 10D my foot just hurts. as a result I tried on the 10E and 10.5D. However, the 10E and the 10.5D feels the same. More interestingly, when I compare the length of 10.5D and 10E I don't see any difference. However I can tell that the E width is slightly wider than the D width.

You might consider the space in the opening around your ankle or heel slip if you need more indicators on fit. I was concerned with width but very slight heel slip tipped the scales to the smaller size in my situation (9.5e vs 9.5d on 5 last). I had also tried multiple park aves in a store and then ordered two pairs on a second occasion to make sure I was making the best estimation of size in the end. In my initial sizing I felt like the d width was too tight on the toes on my left foot but found that it was perfect when I compared the two on the second occasion. So the tightness might have been variation in the shoe that differs between pairs but you should try them on again just in case you find that smaller size is actually a nice fit for you. Its so confusing to look at peoples suggestions in this thread because you can try so many arrangements of larger or smaller widths and lengths to find the best fit not to mention someone's suggestion to gauge where the ball of the foot falls in the shoe bed lol. I guess Im glad Im average enough to not have struggled much with it.

post #6762 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASK88 View Post

You might consider the space in the opening around your ankle or heel slip if you need more indicators on fit. I was concerned with width but very slight heel slip tipped the scales to the smaller size in my situation (9.5e vs 9.5d on 5 last). I had also tried multiple park aves in a store and then ordered two pairs on a second occasion to make sure I was making the best estimation of size in the end. In my initial sizing I felt like the d width was too tight on the toes on my left foot but found that it was perfect when I compared the two on the second occasion. So the tightness might have been variation in the shoe that differs between pairs but you should try them on again just in case you find that smaller size is actually a nice fit for you. Its so confusing to look at peoples suggestions in this thread because you can try so many arrangements of larger or smaller widths and lengths to find the best fit not to mention someone's suggestion to gauge where the ball of the foot falls in the shoe bed lol. I guess Im glad Im average enough to not have struggled much with it.

Thanks for the input.

I guess both 10E and 10.5D doesn't really make any difference in terms of heel slip because when I tightened them they really feel about the same and the ball of my foot sits very similar in both sizes. The 10D feels tight enough that I want to take my shoes off so I think it's definitely not a good size for me.

Quick question for y'all. when you measure on the brannock if your toe is right on the line of one size, for example, I measure exactly 10.5D sock-less, would you take a 10.5D or 11D?
post #6763 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitshine123 View Post

Look what the cat dragged in today! Randomly ran into a pair of Moras on a recent shoebank seconds list- from the inscription, it was made for Ball and Buck. Pricing was GREAT and I see no apparent flaws. I am very pleased with my first pair of doublemonks. The 8 last is usually terrible for me in my normal 5 last size so I sized up .5 and they fit great. I suspect there are many other pairs out there for your choosing in your size.
As for the mctavishes, I was inspired by a pair I saw on b&s wih blue laces via google images, and decided to go for the same look. They look and fit great on my normal 5 last size, no resizing necessary. The heel slippage I suspect will go away after the double sole breaks in.
aee2c8af-6528-53d4.jpg
aee2c8af-6539-9f91.jpg
A question with everyone with doublemonks - It seems like the top strap will take quite a lot of wear if i fasten/unfasten it with every wear. Is that the correct way to put on doublemonks, and have yours held up long term?

Just ordered a pair of Moras from Shoebank, Thanks!
post #6764 of 53407

Which black belt from AE would match the Kenilworths ?

Need black belt for black suit for my wedding.

post #6765 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rtin View Post

Which black belt from AE would match the Kenilworths ?
Need black belt for black suit for my wedding.

Assuming your Kenilworths are also black, go for the basic wide belt in black (the ones with double keepers). They are well made with a solid buckle, congrats and good luck...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread