or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 450

post #6736 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Click the pic to enlarge, sale starts July 20th I think...


Thanks. My phone wasn't resolving the image when I zoomed. I guess I am just impatient.

 

The LaSalles in chili look interesting, as do the McTavishes in black.

post #6737 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveshoes View Post

So i got two more shell models from the tent sale. The Mcgraws were flawless, couldn't find anything. The PA's I noticed that of the cap right foot is either slightly off center or smaller than the left. I am not sure if I should send it back. I mean with seconds you don't know what to expect. I took some pictures close up side by side. When they are separated like it would be when they are worn, I dont think even the trained eye will be able to see it easily, but who better to ask the SF members.
So should I keep them, or try sending them back and try my luck again?
263
263
263

I think there's a good chance they won't have a replacement pair in your size. The shells are rare as seconds.
post #6738 of 52507

I have a a pair of McAllisters in black and Strands in walnut. What do you chaps think I should get as my next pair? I was thinking either a pair of plain(ish) captoes or maybe a monk strap? I suppose another option would be the burgundy Cordovan Cambridges. 

post #6739 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveshoes View Post

So i got two more shell models from the tent sale. The Mcgraws were flawless, couldn't find anything. The PA's I noticed that of the cap right foot is either slightly off center or smaller than the left. I am not sure if I should send it back. I mean with seconds you don't know what to expect. I took some pictures close up side by side. When they are separated like it would be when they are worn, I dont think even the trained eye will be able to see it easily, but who better to ask the SF members.
So should I keep them, or try sending them back and try my luck again?

 

 

It's noticeable but only when they are sitting side by side. I would keep them. 

post #6740 of 52507

I look at it this way, you have a black and a walnut shoe.  Go for something in burnished brown to round out the colors. 

post #6741 of 52507

What do you guys think about me getting the following rotation of AE's. I'm going to start working at an accounting firm come fall and only have one pair....of Alfani dress shoes. I'm thinking of getting the Strands in Walnut, PA in Black, and LaSalle in Chili.

 

Is there another rotation that would be better than the above? Mostly looking for shoes that will be on sale during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale or anything that is ~$200/pair. Thanks in advance!

post #6742 of 52507

DSCF6504.JPG

Allen Edmonds Ashbury, anybody knows if this is shell or not?

post #6743 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofstyle85 View Post

DSCF6504.JPG

Allen Edmonds Ashbury, anybody knows if this is shell or not?

not

post #6744 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by norite View Post

What do you guys think about me getting the following rotation of AE's. I'm going to start working at an accounting firm come fall and only have one pair....of Alfani dress shoes. I'm thinking of getting the Strands in Walnut, PA in Black, and LaSalle in Chili.

 

Is there another rotation that would be better than the above? Mostly looking for shoes that will be on sale during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale or anything that is ~$200/pair. Thanks in advance!


You may want to consider a pair of dark brown shoes in there as well. They would only be step below black PAs in terms of formality, but do provide a bit more visual interest. I see that there are "Parkways" available in brown for the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but I can't find any information on this shoe. Does anyone know anything about them? Otherwise, you could might be able to get 5th Aves in brown for a good price from user allaboutshoes

post #6745 of 52507

Thinking which black belt from AE to get for my wedding :)

post #6746 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post

I saw the "Shell Cordovan" inscription over a stylized depiction of a hide, but I didn't notice the JR around it all. UNEXPECTED BONUS. Thanks for the tip!
I think most of the recent shell offerings have JR soles for your information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

I think there's a good chance they won't have a replacement pair in your size. The shells are rare as seconds.

+1. You'll have to decide whether it bothers you enough that you won't wear them. They were several defects with my Wlanut Shell Strands, but I decided to keep them anyway since I didn't think that I would get another shot at them at the price I got them at. Just picked up a pair of Burgundy Cambridges and even with the defects will be keeping them anyway.
post #6747 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by norite View Post

What do you guys think about me getting the following rotation of AE's. I'm going to start working at an accounting firm come fall and only have one pair....of Alfani dress shoes. I'm thinking of getting the Strands in Walnut, PA in Black, and LaSalle in Chili.

Is there another rotation that would be better than the above? Mostly looking for shoes that will be on sale during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale or anything that is ~$200/pair. Thanks in advance!

That is a good rotation, and you will likely have better shoes than many of your coworkers and probably partners. Cpa firms are funny, some wear suits daily, some never even wear jackets. Assuming you'll need suits sometimes but not always, get one pair of black, one pair of burgundy, and one pair of brown. I'd sub some wingtips for the lasalle. Also think about adding brown or burgundy loafers by next spring.
post #6748 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rtin View Post

Thinking which black belt from AE to get for my wedding :)


What will you be wearing?  Tux?  Suit?  

 

Without trying to completely hijack your post, I am getting married in almost exactly a year, and my fiancee prefers we all wear tuxedos . . . I'd like to wear a pair of nice AE shoes, but I'm unsure which shoe would be most appropriate . . . I would assume black Park Avenues?  I was a groomsman in a wedding recently and our Mens Wearhouse tuxes came with the cheap patent leather plain toe bluchers, so maybe a black plain toe blucher or balmoral?  

post #6749 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooter View Post

I have a a pair of McAllisters in black and Strands in walnut. What do you chaps think I should get as my next pair? I was thinking either a pair of plain(ish) captoes or maybe a monk strap? I suppose another option would be the burgundy Cordovan Cambridges. 

If you need a more formal shoe, look at the cap toes. If you don't need that formal, check out the MacNeil, Cambridge or Leeds. The leeds are funny, from a formality perspective they run the entire gamot from suits and even tuxes to jeans. You won't regret getting cordovan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

I think most of the recent shell offerings have JR soles for your information.
+1. You'll have to decide whether it bothers you enough that you won't wear them. They were several defects with my Wlanut Shell Strands, but I decided to keep them anyway since I didn't think that I would get another shot at them at the price I got them at. Just picked up a pair of Burgundy Cambridges and even with the defects will be keeping them anyway.

I think all shell AEs have JR soles, unless special ordered with some other sole. It sounds like the pool of shells in seconds is drying up, so if you like the shoes enough that it bother you when you wear them, keep them IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post


What will you be wearing?  Tux?  Suit?  

Without trying to completely hijack your post, I am getting married in almost exactly a year, and my fiancee prefers we all wear tuxedos . . . I'd like to wear a pair of nice AE shoes, but I'm unsure which shoe would be most appropriate . . . I would assume black Park Avenues?  I was a groomsman in a wedding recently and our Mens Wearhouse tuxes came with the cheap patent leather plain toe bluchers, so maybe a black plain toe blucher or balmoral?  

AE makes patent leather shoes, but I think I'd get black PAs or Leeds, and give them a great shine. At least that way you can wear them again.
Edited by bucksfan - 6/30/12 at 5:41am
post #6750 of 52507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post


AE makes patent leather shoes, but I think I'd get black PAs or Leeds, and give them a great shine. At least that way you can wear them again.

 

That's what I was thinking . . . I'm not at the point in my life where I can drop $300 on a pair of shoes I will probably only ever wear once (or maybe a couple times down the road in other weddings), so the patent leather shoe is likely out.  I would probably just get the PAs or Leeds and shine them up nicely, I'm just not sure which . . . I prefer the PA/captoe I would say.  For all my AEs, I don't actually own any PAs (I bought Johnston & Murphy Meltons in black and burgundy before I discovered AEs and they've served me well enough so far).  So either I could buy a pair of PAs and toss my Meltons, or go ahead and get the Leeds.

 

Also, FWIW, the corrected grain of the J&Ms actually seems to hold a better shine than calf PAs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread