or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 338

post #5056 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post


 You may still can get the North Platte in your size (on closeout). Basically a Dalton with a lug sole (better for foul weather).

350x350px-LL-bb5c7d39_1030654.jpeg

Whoa.... I had no idea that existed. How much is it going for?
post #5057 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

I've been debating on which pair of boots to get since the winter and I still can't decide so I'm hoping some of you can give me some insight.  I'm look at getting either the Dalton in dark brown, or the fifth street boot also in dark brown.  Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each boot?  I'd be wearing them for business casual purposes (since I'm a student but always dress business casual).  I live in Washington, DC so we get a fair amount of rain and some snow/slush in the winter so I need a boot that could withstand a little wet weather if I get stuck outside for an hour or two in rain.

Go for the blucher boot since it sounds like you'll be in a pretty laid back environment. A bal boot really works for more conservative environments (i.e., navy and dark gray suit uniforms) and they fit like a dress shoe. I have the Fifth Street and wear them to the office on days when the weather is slightly bad (the leather sole has decent traction). On worse days, I wear something similar to the Dalton (I have the C&J Islay with Dianite).
post #5058 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post


Go for the blucher boot since it sounds like you'll be in a pretty laid back environment. A bal boot really works for more conservative environments (i.e., navy and dark gray suit uniforms) and they fit like a dress shoe. I have the Fifth Street and wear them to the office on days when the weather is slightly bad (the leather sole has decent traction). On worse days, I wear something similar to the Dalton (I have the C&J Islay with Dianite).

So you're saying go with the Dalton?

post #5059 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I like a "V" as well.  Sadly my feet don't cooperate; so I've grown accustomed to the quarters closing.  On a brighter note, the closed upper gives you some leeway on lacing patterns.  I've taken a liking to the European bar lace.  It's easier to tighten and loosen, and the slant in the lacing stays hidden.

For bal shoes, I don't mind the 'V' gap; however, for the Fifth Street bal boot, the 'V' ends up looking like '()' because the gap closes more up the ankle shaft. On my C&J Somerville, there is 'V' gap but the shaft is narrower which looks better. For the latter, I use bar lacing.
post #5060 of 43040

Are shoe trees necessary when it comes to Allen Edmonds? Like how much of a difference would it make in preserving the shape and whatnot?

post #5061 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post

Are shoe trees necessary when it comes to Allen Edmonds? Like how much of a difference would it make in preserving the shape and whatnot?

Shoe trees are recommended for ALL brands of dress shoes. From AE to JL.
post #5062 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by plei89 View Post


Whoa.... I had no idea that existed. How much is it going for?

Right now it is part of the "2 for $200" sale.

 

Move quickly as popular sizes are going fast.

post #5063 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post

Are shoe trees necessary when it comes to Allen Edmonds? Like how much of a difference would it make in preserving the shape and whatnot?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post


Shoe trees are recommended for ALL brands of dress shoes. From AE to JL.

 

 

I put shoe trees in all my shoes from my Nikes to my Allen Edmonds (Vibram Five Finger being the only exception as you can wash those)

post #5064 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post


 You may still can get the North Platte in your size (on closeout). Basically a Dalton with a lug sole (better for foul weather).

350x350px-LL-bb5c7d39_1030654.jpeg


That's a great foul weather recommendation. I didn't know it existed either. The dark brown is pretty versatile as well.
post #5065 of 43040
Im a bit late, where is this 2 for 200 sale happening?
post #5066 of 43040
I have a question: does increase the width increase the width of the heel area as well as the toebox?

My problem is that I have bunions, so I don't need extra space by the heel, just in the toebox. Oh, and after width D, the next is E, correct?
post #5067 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

I have a question: does increase the width increase the width of the heel area as well as the toebox?
My problem is that I have bunions, so I don't need extra space by the heel, just in the toebox. Oh, and after width D, the next is E, correct?

I believe going up in width increases the heel as well. I tried some 9E in the 5 last to see if the would fit better than my usual 9.5D. The length was OK, but the heel was huge on my foot.

Yes, E is next after D.

Chris
post #5068 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

I have a question: does increase the width increase the width of the heel area as well as the toebox?
My problem is that I have bunions, so I don't need extra space by the heel, just in the toebox. Oh, and after width D, the next is E, correct?

Typically yes, if you increase width the heel also increases. the best example is Alden, their average size is D/B (D = ball /B = heel), next E/C, etc. Keep in mind that heel slippage in the beginning of most shoes is more prominent because of the stiffness of the soles and how tight you tight the laces.
post #5069 of 43040
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

I have a question: does increase the width increase the width of the heel area as well as the toebox?
My problem is that I have bunions, so I don't need extra space by the heel, just in the toebox. Oh, and after width D, the next is E, correct?

 

 

I will digress by saying there are special lasts that allow more room up front without sacrificing heel fit.  The Modified last by Alden, for example, gives you some room and can accommodate some orthotics as well without being an orthopedic shoe per se.  I'm not aware of any AE lasts that give you this kind of fit.

post #5070 of 43040
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE 2 FOR $200 SALE?

IS THERE A LIST I CAN LOOK AT? WHO DO I CONTACT? HOW DO I MAKE A PURCHASE?

THANK YOU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread