or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 336

post #5026 of 53448
5c302028-604a-4fcb.jpg5c302028-605d-7bac.jpg

So i bought a pair of Leeds in cordo, they are seconds. They arrived with a split in the heel area. It will cost me a lot to return for a refund as I live in saudi, on top of the shipping costs out here. Could I ask for an opinion as to whether this damage could be repaired by a competent cobbler ie stitched and reinforced? Or should I just eat the $100 cost and return?
post #5027 of 53448

I would say those are unrepairable.  They shouldn't have even sold them as seconds, to be honest.

 

Contact them and see if they will help you out with the shipping.

post #5028 of 53448
That was my initial thought, I didnt even realise I was buying seconds to be honest..in my ignorance I assumed they were firsts on sale (I got the tip on the cordovan sale from this thread).

Anyway, I explained this to the store and they offered a refund if I returned them, but its a large chunk of change, and fhey cant replace as they dont have any seconds in my size, only firsts.

I always read on here AE customer service was world class, so Im a little disappointed right now.
post #5029 of 53448

Hi,

 

I'm totally new to Styleforum and I'm trying to find the right thread for my question - this may be the best one?

 

Let's start with some appreciation: Got my first AE's preowned from ebay (sheltons) and I like the material and the feel of the sole against my foot. Maybe the Sheltons won't be my favourites as they looked better in pictures than live, but it's a learning curve for me. No doubt in my mind regarding the quality, I am an AE fan already. However, my problem is that the shoe size 8D was a bit big for me. I'd love to find a right size as especally the Park Avenues appeal to me greatly, and would like to buy a pair from a good internet shop.

 

I have a couple of pairs of Johnston & Murphy 8D Optimas, and they fit me just perfectly. Anyone here with experience of same size J&M's and can point to th right direction in the AE sizing?

 

Just to ensure my compatibility with the SF folks here: My Johnston & Murphys' are all from the 90's, Made in USA and very, very good quality IMO :-)

post #5030 of 53448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post

Hi,

I'm totally new to Styleforum and I'm trying to find the right thread for my question - this may be the best one?

Let's start with some appreciation: Got my first AE's preowned from ebay (sheltons) and I like the material and the feel of the sole against my foot. Maybe the Sheltons won't be my favourites as they looked better in pictures than live, but it's a learning curve for me. No doubt in my mind regarding the quality, I am an AE fan already. However, my problem is that the shoe size 8D was a bit big for me. I'd love to find a right size as especally the Park Avenues appeal to me greatly, and would like to buy a pair from a good internet shop.

I have a couple of pairs of Johnston & Murphy 8D Optimas, and they fit me just perfectly. Anyone here with experience of same size J&M's and can point to th right direction in the AE sizing?

Just to ensure my compatibility with the SF folks here: My Johnston & Murphys' are all from the 90's, Made in USA and very, very good quality IMO :-)

Welcome to the forum! Your Sheltons are Last 1. Park Aves are last 5.
Here's a last guide for help: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AllAboutLastsView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Last 1 has a more fuller fitting and a Last 5 has a more narrow. I'd assume if your Sheltons fit fine (which you stated it doesn't), I'd size up +.5
post #5031 of 53448
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecentennial View Post

That was my initial thought, I didnt even realise I was buying seconds to be honest..in my ignorance I assumed they were firsts on sale (I got the tip on the cordovan sale from this thread).
Anyway, I explained this to the store and they offered a refund if I returned them, but its a large chunk of change, and fhey cant replace as they dont have any seconds in my size, only firsts.
I always read on here AE customer service was world class, so Im a little disappointed right now.

 

If that's what they told you, that's unacceptable.  The heel of that shoe is destroyed.  Seconds have minor flaws, that is not a minor flaw.  They are worse than seconds. 

 

They should be doing more because those shoes are not even in the seconds range, as far as I'm concerned.

post #5032 of 53448
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecentennial View Post

5c302028-604a-4fcb.jpg5c302028-605d-7bac.jpg
So i bought a pair of Leeds in cordo, they are seconds. They arrived with a split in the heel area. It will cost me a lot to return for a refund as I live in saudi, on top of the shipping costs out here. Could I ask for an opinion as to whether this damage could be repaired by a competent cobbler ie stitched and reinforced? Or should I just eat the $100 cost and return?

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I think a competent cobbler could stitch the tear at least to prevent any further damage. It will be noticeable, it might bother you, but it is also an alternative to spending money on shipping and not notice it after 3 months of wearing.

Seconds are hit and miss. I have seen some seconds that are worse and some barely noticeable. I roll the dice the same way when I buy seconds across the pond from C&J.

Hope everything works out.
post #5033 of 53448

Hey guys, advice needed.

 

So I am trying to take advantage of this 2/$200 deal, but unfortunately nearly every shoe that I want has been "difficult" to find... that is they are in the list I received as stocked but when I request them the stores are unable to actually locate the items. I do have a pair of Malvern in brogue suede on hold for me, and the only other one I've found that is actually available is a Rush second... in black.

 

I was looking for a black shoe, but the ones included in the sale (Hale, Fairfax) that were in the dress range with leather soles weren't able to be found, and I really like the Malvern, but... I'm just not sure how often if ever I would wear a black penny loafer. If you were in my shoes, would you just pass on the whole thing, pass on the Rush and just get a rubber soled balmoral, or go ahead and get the Rush?

 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... I've been fighting this thing since Tuesday trying to find a shoe that I actually wanted to pair with the Malvern.

post #5034 of 53448

Never buy a shoe you don't love.  Even if it's free, if it's not exactly what you want it's not worth wearing.  

post #5035 of 53448

^^^^ I agree but people can't pass up on something free because they feel like they've lost something if they don't take it.

post #5036 of 53448
If anything this allows someone the chance to pick up shoes they did not know about before. Or casual shoes they could never justify paying retail for. Especially in first quality... icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #5037 of 53448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

^^^^ I agree but people can't pass up on something free because they feel like they've lost something if they don't take it.

 

 

People never seem to understand how BOGO deals work. You're not getting anything for free when you get a "free" second item. Let's use a hypothetical example.

 

Mystore.com purchases shoes at $50 wholesale, and normally sells the shoes for $200 apiece (a $150 markup). Today, Mystore.com is offering a buy-one, get-one deal for $150. Buy one pair for $150; get one free!

 

Sweet deal, huh? You pay $150 (a $50 discount) for one pair, and $0 for the second pair.

 

Actually, you're paying $75 for one pair, and $75 for the second pair. Mystore.com is still making a profit, but it just convinced you to spend $150 when you probably wouldn't have otherwise. If you were actually in the market for 2 pairs of shoes, and just happened to stumble across the BOGO deal, then it's a good deal for you. More likely than not, however, you weren't in the market for shoes at all -- but the "deal" just seemed too good to pass up, and it lured you into spending money you wouldn't have planned to spend.

post #5038 of 53448
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post

Untitled
Rainy day so out comes the Fifth Street!

I have the Fifth Streets in brown also and haven't worn them yet but will in the next few days after seeing yours. Mine don't quite meet up in the vamp as yours do but not too wide open. I was trying to lace them as you did in your picture but I don't think they look as good as there is some gap. I may have to go with bar lacing... So many choices.. what is a man to do?

I wonder if they need to be put up soon because summer is coming?
post #5039 of 53448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post


People never seem to understand how BOGO deals work. You're not getting anything for free when you get a "free" second item. Let's use a hypothetical example.



 



Mystore.com purchases shoes at $50 wholesale, and normally sells the shoes for $200 apiece (a $150 markup). Today, Mystore.com is offering a buy-one, get-one deal for $150. Buy one pair for $150; get one free!



 



Sweet deal, huh? You pay $150 (a $50 discount) for one pair, and $0 for the second pair.



 



Actually, you're paying $75 for one pair, and $75 for the second pair. Mystore.com is still making a profit, but it just convinced you to spend $150 when you probably wouldn't have otherwise. If you were actually in the market for 2 pairs of shoes, and just happened to stumble across the BOGO deal, then it's a good deal for you. More likely than not, however, you weren't in the market for shoes at all -- but the "deal" just seemed too good to pass up, and it lured you into spending money you wouldn't have planned to spend.



Ok, if two trains leave the station at the same time, one heading east, one heading west, which train will get to the destination...

Seriously dude you lost me at "People never seem" confused.gif
post #5040 of 53448
Quote:
Originally Posted by knezz View Post


I wonder if they need to be put up soon because summer is coming?

 

 

Nope.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread