or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 3119

post #46771 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

I have tongue pads in 3 of my shoes, shell balmorals and I use them to open the lacing a bit more. They compress over time and don't seem to add much volume. Been awhile since there has been a discussion on inserts here but several of us like the hard black superfeet ones. I have shoe boxes full of inserts that I have collected over the years and for my foot the black superfeet work best, but that doesn't mean it will for everyone. I feel it is a good place to start however.

 

For me the 744 if you can still find one in your size I'd grab it, and yes it is different enough from the others IMO to make it worth it. The Jcrew boot is on the Barrie last which is not the best fit for my foot so I went with the #8 captoe boot on the Grant last with commando sole.

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/35596M/0/Mens/744LTD-1000-Mile-Boot?dimensions=0

post #46772 of 53407

 

I'm very surprised to see that these are still available.  They must not have been as popular as the 721s?

post #46773 of 53407
There were a lot of seconds before wolverine shut that down. A friend of mine picked them up for $300
post #46774 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgerrard View Post

Its for residency interviews in the medical field, I guess that doesn't help you much though unless you are familiar with it. Moderately conservative. But I love the strands since I feel like they would go great in any other setting, especially for day to day shoes to wear in clinic.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 


I am applying as well in the fall. I own walnut Strands and would never wear them to a residency interview. They're significantly flashy and I wouldn't want PDs to remember me as "the guy with the shoes." I actually just ordered the black Carlyle for this very purpose. I would, however, wear the Strands to the pre-interview dinner if there was one, and I do wear them around the wards pretty often.

 

What fields are you applying in?  I am a surgical resident and agree that walnut strands would not be the best choice for the interview day especially in general surgery, though honestly I barely even pay attention to what someone is wearing.  What you say and how you act are much more important.  Of course, the less sleep-deprived attendings who will actually be doing the majority of the decision-making and applicant judging might care more about dress and grooming.  There is also a lot of regional variation in this.  The bright color and broguing of the strands, though, make it too casual for an interview IMO.  If you don't like black, maybe oxblood/burgundy would be an OK alternative.  

post #46775 of 53407

Hi all - question for you.  I currently own 11 pairs of Allen Edmonds all of which are more on the "flashy" or casual side (e.g., Strands, Macs, lots of suede).  My first pair purchased before I knew what I was doing was a pair of black Hastings.  This is the most conservative pair (and only pair in black) that I own.  I'm not planning on interviewing soon but may have to within the next six months or so.  Would this shoe look too flashy or "off" for an interview given the brouging and the fact that it's a whole cut?  It would be for a moderately conservative firm.  The pic below was grabbed from Google - mine look the same but have bar lacing.

post #46776 of 53407
I'd say that's way too flashy of a shoe for an interview, especially so for a conservative firm.
post #46777 of 53407

I wouldn't interview in those. Those aren't formal shoes IMHO.

post #46778 of 53407

Thinking about picking up the Walnut Strands from the Nordstrom sale.  Main reason is to wear them at my wedding with a navy 3 piece suit.

 

Do you think I should go with something more simple or is this deal just too good to pass up?  (or different colorway)

post #46779 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaudi0 View Post

Thinking about picking up the Walnut Strands from the Nordstrom sale.  Main reason is to wear them at my wedding with a navy 3 piece suit.

Do you think I should go with something more simple or is this deal just too good to pass up?  (or different colorway)

Just your wedding? Strands are my all time favourite looking shoe. I say get em. Every single time I wear them, people will either compliment or stare
post #46780 of 53407

Wedding is just my way of justifying the purchase haha.  They will get their fair share of wear beyond the wedding. 

post #46781 of 53407

How do you guys clean and dry your polishing cloths and brushes? Anything I should know?

post #46782 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000 View Post
 

How do you guys clean and dry your polishing cloths and brushes? Anything I should know?

I put the cloths in the washer and the dryer.

I put the brushes (bristles down) in a plastic container filled with water and laundry detergent that's slightly less deep than the bristles until they are clean, and then let the brushes air dry (bristles down).

post #46783 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000 View Post

How do you guys clean and dry your polishing cloths and brushes? Anything I should know?

There are a plethora of threads dedicated to shoe care. I would suggest spending some time reading them
post #46784 of 53407
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb06 View Post
 

Hi all - question for you.  I currently own 11 pairs of Allen Edmonds all of which are more on the "flashy" or casual side (e.g., Strands, Macs, lots of suede).  My first pair purchased before I knew what I was doing was a pair of black Hastings.  This is the most conservative pair (and only pair in black) that I own.  I'm not planning on interviewing soon but may have to within the next six months or so.  Would this shoe look too flashy or "off" for an interview given the brouging and the fact that it's a whole cut?  It would be for a moderately conservative firm.  The pic below was grabbed from Google - mine look the same but have bar lacing.

 

 

The vast majority of men wouldn't notice, and the vast majority of men who noticed wouldn't care.  My opinion, therefore, is that those are fine for you to wear to an interview.  A black captoe would be better, but, eh, close enough.

post #46785 of 53407

^ agree. Although if you are going to be self-conscious about wearing wholecut balmorals with perforations, and if you care a lot about the interview, it might be a better idea to get a black cap toe (AE ParkAvenue/Harrison) or even those with slight perfing such as AE Fifth Avenue or even the Clifton, or a PTB (leeds/kenilworth).

 

If you are worried about spending money on black shoes that you will never wear again, one alternative would be to get a deep burgundy shoe in any of the above styles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread