or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 3098

post #46456 of 49634

I'm having some sizing problems.

 

I tried on several different sizes of Fifth Avenues and Strands and they all had a bump in the foot bed that made them painful to wear. Seeing as how the 5 last is meant for higher arches, I attributed it to that and stopped shopping for shoes in that last.

 

Next I started shopping for Carlyle in Walnut Burnished Calf. I tried 10D. Both heals were loose and the left midfoot was tight. So I tried 9.5E and again tight in the left midfoot, but fine in the left heal. Right heal was loose. Most recently I tried on a pair of 9.5EEE (no EE available in the shoe?). Both heals were loose.

 

I'm starting to think the 8 last is no good for me, either. I'm at a loss right now and am considering ultimately taking the 2.5 hour trip to the AE retail store in Cleveland to get properly fitted to determine which lasts/shoes I can wear.


Has anyone had any issues with fitment like I'm having? I normally wear size 10D in other (cheaper) brands and have never had fitment issues like this before.

post #46457 of 49634
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

Are they really? Did they announce this? Its literally their cleanest looking shoe, better than the park ave. If they had a plain toe balmoral (would that essentially be a saddle or wholecut) it would be excellent!

There's always the Carlyle:



And the Vernon, though technically an Adelaide. I'm pretty sure you can MTO one without the toe perforations.

post #46458 of 49634
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

 

Thanks, CI. Always good to hear from you.

 

 

I seem to get them on every 8-last shoe, but it's also one of the most comfortable lasts for me and probably my favorite aesthetically

 

FWIW, I've stalked the reviews of the Vernon and it seems it's nearly universal that people get those creases.

 

That said, I've had my eye on them for a long time.  I absolutely love the 8 last, and am in the market for a medium brownish balmoral to pair with, say, a navy suit or other such thing.  I used to have a pair of chili Fairfaxes that sort of fit that role, but the 5 last just didn't do it for me, and I bought them too big, so I had to sell them.

 

I just don't see the Vernon go on sale very often.  I think there was a seconds sale a few months ago that had them actually rather low, and for some reason or another I didn't order them or didn't get to it in time.  

 

Thanks for sharing the pic!  Hopefully in the not too distant future I'll have one to post too.

post #46459 of 49634

@Spoon those are beautiful!!! looks like lasalle... am i wrong? love the look/color of the leather. congrats on the new purchase

post #46460 of 49634
@bkotsko great shine on those Walnuts!! Did you strip a lot of creme off them to get to that color?
post #46461 of 49634
Yea, BK. Great shine on those nuts.
post #46462 of 49634
The Nordstrom sale isn't really that flash considering Amazon have had the Black McAllisters and Walnut Strands at $230 and $240 respectively in the last year.

How are the belts priced?
post #46463 of 49634
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

@bkotsko great shine on those Walnuts!! Did you strip a lot of creme off them to get to that color?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Yea, BK. Great shine on those nuts.

Deeeeez nuts

I mean...

They only have seen reno and mac method.

post #46464 of 49634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrightnik View Post
 

Reading a lot of folks talking about the creasing in the cap toe of the Mora 2.0s.

 

Anyone experienced this side crease? I'm debating sending back to Allen Edmonds. Part of me just wants to roll with it.

 

This is only after 4 months of 2 wears per week, shoe trees in-between.

 

 

 

I have this problem as well. Any thoughts? I figured it was because of my foot shape the the last used. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

post #46465 of 49634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress View Post
 

I'm having some sizing problems.

 

I tried on several different sizes of Fifth Avenues and Strands and they all had a bump in the foot bed that made them painful to wear. Seeing as how the 5 last is meant for higher arches, I attributed it to that and stopped shopping for shoes in that last.

 

Next I started shopping for Carlyle in Walnut Burnished Calf. I tried 10D. Both heals were loose and the left midfoot was tight. So I tried 9.5E and again tight in the left midfoot, but fine in the left heal. Right heal was loose. Most recently I tried on a pair of 9.5EEE (no EE available in the shoe?). Both heals were loose.

 

I'm starting to think the 8 last is no good for me, either. I'm at a loss right now and am considering ultimately taking the 2.5 hour trip to the AE retail store in Cleveland to get properly fitted to determine which lasts/shoes I can wear.


Has anyone had any issues with fitment like I'm having? I normally wear size 10D in other (cheaper) brands and have never had fitment issues like this before.

 

It's also possible that your feet are sized differently requiring you to wear two different sizes.

post #46466 of 49634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrightnik View Post

Reading a lot of folks talking about the creasing in the cap toe of the Mora 2.0s.

Anyone experienced this side crease? I'm debating sending back to Allen Edmonds. Part of me just wants to roll with it.

This is only after 4 months of 2 wears per week, shoe trees in-between.



My neumoras crease on the side under the ankle as well. Maybe it's something about how AE's double monk patterns transfer the flex stress
post #46467 of 49634

You can return after 4 months of wear (twice per week)? What do you even say?

post #46468 of 49634
One of the things I wish AE implemented, a toe stiffener. Sure it might be incorrect sizing, but even with the best of sizing, you can still get creasing on the captoe, which is why I try to avoided captoes with AE. If it does not hurt your toes, I suppose it's just a matter of aesthetic taste.

It's a shame, cause I like their Mora 2, and would like to get a pair. IMO it just doesn't look right to me when a captoe gets creasing on it. Maybe it's why AE tries to use a shorter captoe most of the time, in contrast to the Mora's longer one. I wonder if cordovan has a better chance of keeping the captoes integrity, which is my MTO idea anyways...
post #46469 of 49634

I also experience that heavy crease on toecap after my first wear, but these are seconds so

I don't really care that much. I think the toe cap is too long as well making it crease 3/4 of the way.

 

post #46470 of 49634
Am I the only one in the world that doesn't mind when shoes crease?

Also, I believe AE does use toe stiffeners in calf shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread