or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 3066

post #45976 of 48230

New (to me) "Lexingtons". Besides a good polish and sole dressing, I thought about blue or red laces. Would that look good?

 

post #45977 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Savage View Post

New (to me) "Lexingtons". Besides a good polish and sole dressing, I thought about blue or red laces. Would that look good?



Leave those shoe as is. Colored laces should be reserved for casual shoes on my opinion. They look great as is!
post #45978 of 48230

Wow lots of great longwings in the last couple pages! 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post


Walnut Shell Macneils today with grey glen plaid. Never worn this combo and am still unsure about. What do you guys think?

I think it looks great GOP, well done! I tried wearing brown shoes with blue once and kept looking over my shoulder all day... Some can pull it off but I can't, guess I'm just too conservative (and old according to some LOL). Your combo however I would not hesitate to wear, good call IMO on the grey glen plaid and walnut shoes, looks sharp.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

Thanks, still some slight work to do on them there are a few blotchy spots of I assume polish floating around the shoe...I need to call AE to see what color it really is or was...in the sun pictures it looks burgundy but most of the time it looks brown.

They do look great, nice score and well done. AE Burgundy shell turns brown over time. My Leeds turned almost solid brown and I have used Saphir Cordovan Cordovan polish on them several times to try and get the burgundy back. But it doesn't work for long and I am starting to just enjoy the color. 

 

Yeah it was likely black polish, there are still a lot of old timers that use nothing but black wax polish on their burgundy shell. It helps give the "black cherry" look so desired at one time however some use too much and too often. I occasionally use a little black paste wax on my burgundy shell Cambridges. 

post #45979 of 48230
Hmmm. Just called recrafting department about some options for my shell MacNeils.

According to the rep, they will not recraft to dainite, and will not change the welt/edge color.

Does this sound right? I seem to recall some other gents here accomplishing this through AE.

Should I just call B Nelson?
post #45980 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Hmmm. Just called recrafting department about some options for my shell MacNeils.

According to the rep, they will not recraft to dainite, and will not change the welt/edge color.

Does this sound right? I seem to recall some other gents here accomplishing this through AE.

Should I just call B Nelson?

 

Really? I just got this back yesterday:   

 

 

"This message is in regards to your shoe repair question.  Once attached to shoes, soles cannot be salvaged for reuse.  In order to change the welt and sole edge color on your shoes, they must be recrafted.  The Standard Package is the basic service, the price is $125 per pair.  The return shipping fee to Canada is $15 per pair. 

 

Should you decide to Recraft, include the attached forms with your shoes.  Use the small package carrier of your choice to ship the shoes to our repair facility.  Be sure to indicate you DO NOT want the shoes refinished – as refinishing will bring the shoes back to nearly the original color."

 

 

 

As for the sole conversion, it seems Dainite is left off the form that gets sent in for whatever reason.

 

 

 

 

B Nelson pricing from Nick (emailed with him the other day):

 

"A new 360 degree storm welt is $50.00.
A new mid-sole is $40.00.
Converting to Dainite is $155.00.
N/c on the edge finish."

post #45981 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

Really? I just got this back yesterday:   


"This message is in regards to your shoe repair question.  Once attached to shoes, soles cannot be salvaged for reuse.  In order to change the welt and sole edge color on your shoes, they must be recrafted.  The Standard Package is the basic service, the price is $125 per pair.  The return shipping fee to Canada is $15 per pair. 

Should you decide to Recraft, include the attached forms with your shoes.  Use the small package carrier of your choice to ship the shoes to our repair facility.  Be sure to indicate you DO NOT want the shoes refinished – as refinishing will bring the shoes back to nearly the original color."



As for the sole conversion, it seems Dainite is left off the form that gets sent in for whatever reason.






B Nelson pricing from Nick (emailed with him the other day):

"A new 360 degree storm welt is $50.00.
A new mid-sole is $40.00.
Converting to Dainite is $155.00.
N/c on the edge finish."

Maybe it depends on whom you can get on the phone. What address did you write to to get that response?

Doesn't look like a dainite conversion from B Nelson is economically feasible at this point for these thrifted shoes.

Maybe I'll just do a standard recraft with double JRs, then have a topy put on. And forget about changing the welt color. These are quite dark brownish-burgundy anyway. Might look off...
post #45982 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Maybe it depends on whom you can get on the phone. What address did you write to to get that response?

Doesn't look like a dainite conversion from B Nelson is economically feasible at this point for these thrifted shoes.

Maybe I'll just do a standard recraft with double JRs, then have a topy put on. And forget about changing the welt color. These are quite dark brownish-burgundy anyway. Might look off...

 

recrafting@allenedmonds.com

 

I was only thinking of Dainite from B Nelson because they carry the brown but for the cost I will stick to the double JR soles. Probably chili split reverse welt and light brown

transparent edge for my Leeds. I am planning to send them in a few months. 

post #45983 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Savage View Post
 

New (to me) "Lexingtons". Besides a good polish and sole dressing, I thought about blue or red laces. Would that look good?

 

 

Looks good! Why do these remind me of the Sanfords? Another great AE shoe. Too lazy to do a google image search :embar:

post #45984 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post


They do look great, nice score and well done. AE Burgundy shell turns brown over time. My Leeds turned almost solid brown and I have used Saphir Cordovan Cordovan polish on them several times to try and get the burgundy back. But it doesn't work for long and I am starting to just enjoy the color. 

Yeah it was likely black polish, there are still a lot of old timers that use nothing but black wax polish on their burgundy shell. It helps give the "black cherry" look so desired at one time however some use too much and too often. I occasionally use a little black paste wax on my burgundy shell Cambridges. 

Pix of the your brown leeds? There are some crazy dudes at the alden thread that are paying hefty premiums for cigar shell.
post #45985 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post


They do look great, nice score and well done. AE Burgundy shell turns brown over time. My Leeds turned almost solid brown and I have used Saphir Cordovan Cordovan polish on them several times to try and get the burgundy back. But it doesn't work for long and I am starting to just enjoy the color. 

Yeah it was likely black polish, there are still a lot of old timers that use nothing but black wax polish on their burgundy shell. It helps give the "black cherry" look so desired at one time however some use too much and too often. I occasionally use a little black paste wax on my burgundy shell Cambridges. 

Pix of the your brown leeds? There are some crazy dudes at the alden thread that are paying hefty premiums for cigar shell.

 

These are not burgundy-turned-brown, but brown-from-the-get-go shell Leeds (MTO'd):

 

post #45986 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

Pix of the your brown leeds? There are some crazy dudes at the alden thread that are paying hefty premiums for cigar shell.

They have only been worn about 2 times since I had them made. When we tried to get a group buy on here for a MTO think I was the only one that ended up going with it and they waived the MTO fee (this was before Paul made his generous offer to SF members).

 

 

I went back and forth with AE several times about the welt and they kept saying they couldn't do what I wanted. They ended up sending me natural which wasn't what I expected. It is the same natural as on the Elgin and McTavish, although the Elgin has the storm welt these do not. I was debating sending these or my brown shell Patriots to B. Nelson for the red danitie resole with a natural welt. I am going to send the Patriots first and see how they turn out and if it works will then send these in for the same. Although something like the Alden antique would look good and be much cheaper, will see.

post #45987 of 48230

Shiny just realized that you requested a picture of my burgundy turned brown Leeds. The picture I posted is of brown shell, and I think that is closer to Alden cigar. A few pages back are pictures of burgundy which has been lightened by sunlight which is the same thing as aging. The older AE burgundy turns a slightly different color though. In some ways I think we have been spoiled by AE and shell colors for a long time all we had was burgundy and black. When brown came out it was considered exotic.

 

 

The burgundy in the center has just had a coat of Saphir Cordovan Cordovan polish on them so are fairly red here.

post #45988 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Quite awhile back Adam posted a picture of his black shell Leeds that he had used VSC on and I immediately wished that my black ones were shell instead of calf.
That was way back in 2012. I didn't realize they left an impression! In light of your post above, I'll trot that photo back out:



They need new heels (...the rubber bit on the combination heel doesn't last very long for me) but they still serve remarkably well for evening casual use.
post #45989 of 48230
Ready and hopeful for a USA win today!
post #45990 of 48230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

Ready and hopeful for a USA win today! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I am not doing it right.

You, sir... are.

:worship:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread