or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 3032

post #45466 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45 View Post
 

I already have bourbon Kenilworth so I wonder if I should grab in black........ I don't have a black PA yet .. was holding out for one of them....

 

Absolutely get the Kenilworth. I picked up dark brown ones to go with my black ones. In my eyes, they are nicer and cleaner than the park avenue. You cant beat smooth leather.

post #45467 of 47026
In reference to Trader George. Is it just me or are the eyelets misaligned on the right shoe? Still looks fantastic though.
post #45468 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

Absolutely get the Kenilworth. I picked up dark brown ones to go with my black ones. In my eyes, they are nicer and cleaner than the park avenue. You cant beat smooth leather.

So you're saying get the black Kenilworth over getting the Hanover in black, even with me having bourbon Kenilworth? That's why I've held out on black because still can't decide. Everyone always says PA but I like a casual part and also dressy..
post #45469 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45 View Post


So you're saying get the black Kenilworth over getting the Hanover in black, even with me having bourbon Kenilworth? That's why I've held out on black because still can't decide. Everyone always says PA but I like a casual part and also dressy..

 

Personally I find the Kenilworth better looking than the Park Avenue. People will say the Balmoral (PA) is technically more formal but to me the sharp clean look of the Kenilworth looks better with a suit and equally good with dark jeans, whereas the Park Avenue would look awkward with jeans, so the Kenilworth is more versatile.

 

If you are deciding between the Hanover and Kenilworth, it depends on where you primarily mean to wear it. To me, the Hanover is a very formal shoe, I was looking to get one to use as my formal/tuxedo shoe in order to minimize wear and creasing. My black Kenilworths are my go to black office/business formal and nightclub shoes with jeans. I dont think you could wear the Hanover with jeans, but thats just me. In that sense, I find the Kenilworth more versatile. 

post #45470 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Might be a silly question, but is there any reason by Cambridge Cordovans would fit any differently from other 5-65 lasted calf shoes (either due to the style or the leather)?

About to pull the trigger on some for $399 and want to be sure...

Yes, Cambridge fits looser. It's been discussed in the thread before. I can wear 8.5c in calf PA. My feet were swimming in the same size in Cambridge. It was longer and definitely wider. Probably would need a 8d.
post #45471 of 47026

the hanovers are pretty nice. I have a pair in bourbon, and really liek the shape of the 3-last. its looks pretty formal though - not just the wholecut styling but also the last isn't your typical blobby casual last from AE/Alden (not that I dislike the blobby lasts, but the hanover is styled very differntly). if the 5 last fits you well,the 3 last probably would, although its slightly wider than the 5 (but just as long imo)

post #45472 of 47026
With the new shoebank.com system in place, is it possible to phone an outlet, like say Jeffersonville, and order a shoe even though the website says it's located in Port Washington?

Reason being, I have a Tanger Outlets coupon for 20% off, so would just like to phone Kristle at Jeffersonville as I've done in the past, but shoebank.com says the Sheltons I want are someplace else. Does it matter?
post #45473 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post

With the new shoebank.com system in place, is it possible to phone an outlet, like say Jeffersonville, and order a shoe even though the website says it's located in Port Washington?

Reason being, I have a Tanger Outlets coupon for 20% off, so would just like to phone Kristle at Jeffersonville as I've done in the past, but shoebank.com says the Sheltons I want are someplace else. Does it matter?

 

When I phoned them today, they said I would have to phone each individual location and place orders separately, but Kristle might be able to do something for you. It wouldnt hurt to ask.

post #45474 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

When I phoned them today, they said I would have to phone each individual location and place orders separately, but Kristle might be able to do something for you. It wouldnt hurt to ask.

That's Bullocks. Call Kristle. She's the best.
post #45475 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45 View Post


So you're saying get the black Kenilworth over getting the Hanover in black, even with me having bourbon Kenilworth? That's why I've held out on black because still can't decide. Everyone always says PA but I like a casual part and also dressy..

 

If you need a dress casual black shoe, by all means grab the black kenilworths.  But I would not buy them thinking they will be your main go to shoe for wearing with a suit if you are in a suit more than a few times a year.  Personally, I would look at either the Hanover or the Lexington if you are in a suit fairly regularly.

post #45476 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

If you need a dress casual black shoe, by all means grab the black kenilworths.  But I would not buy them thinking they will be your main go to shoe for wearing with a suit if you are in a suit more than a few times a year.  Personally, I would look at either the Hanover or the Lexington if you are in a suit fairly regularly.

Yes, the Lexington is definitely dressier than the kenilworth, but as long as you're not talking about strictly formal situations, most people wouldn't bat an eye at someone wearing the latter with a suit, as long as it's not formal evening wear. Though I personally wouldn't.

Hannover, park Ave, fifth ave, vernon, rutledge (the black one is on sale at outlets for 229), Harrison, Carlyle, even McAllister are all better options.

Interesting dilemma, though, because I wouldn't wear any of those shoes with jeans, and he says he wants a pair that can do both.

I suppose if he really only wants to buy one shoe, then kenilworth is the best option. Though he should consider adding a more formal pair at some point down the line.
Edited by peppercorn78 - 6/15/14 at 6:47am
post #45477 of 47026
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Yes, the Lexington is definitely dressier than the kenilworth, but as long as you're not talking about strictly formal situations, most people wouldn't bat an eye at someone wearing the latter with a suit, as long as it's not formal evening wear. Though I personally wouldn't.

Hannover, park Ave, fifth ave, vernon, rutledge (the black one is on sale at outlets for 229), Harrison, Carlyle, even McAllister are all better options.

Interesting dilemma, though, because I wouldn't wear any of those shoes with jeans, and he says he wants a pair that can do both.

I suppose if he really only wants to buy one shoe, then kenilworth is the best option. Though he should consider adding a more formal pair at some point down the line.

yea wouldn't be strictly formal situations .. hell, I rarely wear a suit but also have walnut strands, bourbon kenilworth, shell cordovan macneil and some other but more casual.

 

I would just hate seeing myself get a black PA right now if it will only be worn a couple times a year tops... whereas, the Kenilworth may get more wear with jeans/etc...

post #45478 of 47026
How much are AE shell seconds normally? I understand the tent sale is going on right now and I see that they are listed for $399.
post #45479 of 47026

FYI, the price of the McAllister seconds dropped from $245 on Thursday to $199 yesterday.  I called and got the $50 credit with no issues.

post #45480 of 47026
If someone is in need of a black shoe that can can be worn with either jeans, chinos, or suits (very, very rarely), which would be the better selection in you all's educated opinion?: a black Franciscan, or the black Lexington?

Im asking because I purchased the black Lexington, but im contemplating exchanging them for a black Franciscan. I didnt really consider the Park Avenue, as the train of thought here seems to consistently be that they are too dressy for jeans and chinos - and I dont wear suits often enough to justify its presence in my wardrobe.. I didnt consider the Leeds because I didnt want anything too overtly casual in a black shoe. And it seems to me that a double sole, a reverse welt, a plain toe, in addition to being a blucher would just be more casual than what I am seeking. The Kenilworth does strike me as a good option and I do like it, but i tend to be kind of wishy washy in my feelings about plain toe bluchers to begin with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread