As an aside, I also had to return my first pair of "1st quality Leeds" for a couple of defects (mis-matched heel blocks and heel counters).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's The Links Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- IC: Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Mora 2.0, McTavish, Neumok, Park Ave, Fifth... Last post on 7/21/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds Last post on 6/20/13 at 4:36pm in Classic Menswear
- 4 PAIRS OF EXOTIC SKIN SHOES - ALLEN EDMONDS & MEZLAN Last post on 1/29/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Barely worn AE Sanfords Rare color, small size! 7D Last post on 6/28/13 at 2:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 3003
Styles mentioned in this thread:
So I promised some pictures of my shell Cambridges and Leeds, but unfortunately the Cambridges won't be here until early next week. I do have the Leeds, however, and below is a picture of them. As you can see on the left shoe (right in the picture), there seem to be scratch marks, or something of that sort. Now the majority (95%) of my AE collection is calf, so I have next to zero experience with shell cordovan, but from the little experience I do have, I don't think this is normal. I contacted my semi-local store, and as always (like all AE employees), they were very eager to help me find a solution. My go-to SA, Luis, put in an order for a new pair to be crafted, and told me to bring these in when they arrive. He said the choice will be mine whether to exchange these for the new pair when the time comes. However, are these marks normal? Thanks guys.
Did you try buffing? My shell park aves had splotches like that when I first got them, and they came off with some Reno. It was polish.
Not saying that that's what's on your pair, tho..,
Would anyone be able to help me out with a good, close up picture of the AE Brown Grain Calf leather?
Considering an MTO in this but can't find that much on it.
I believe their "Grain" leather is available in Black, Brown, Chili and Walnut, correct?
The "Football" grain leather appears to be the Chili but with a larger grain pattern?
They don't have walnut grain as of early this year.
The word I think of when I saw football grain was stubley. When you run your fingers, you can actually feel them bump against the grain. I have a chili grain and it is more like the grain pattern is a lot smaller.
the football grain leather is uniformly-sized-grain, while the other ("tumbled") grain leathers are supposed to haev some randomness in the grain (but tend to be rather uniform as well). The big difference if you can feel the grain pretty clearly in the football grain, while the other grain leathers feel less grainy and smooth out at the toe and other areas where the leather is stretched (such as the strip with the toe perfing in a wingtip)
Comparing the length of the outsole is not an accurate way to measure the shoe for fit.
The outsole can easily vary by much more than you mentioned.
They look great! The only problem is I ordered these in my brannock size 8.5D and I recently realized that for 5-lasted balmoral 8E fits me better as it reduces the vgap between the eyestays. Oh well Im just hoping that my feet will sink in nicely into the cork foot bed and that this will help reduce the v-gap.
Edited by watchidiot - 6/7/14 at 10:45am
About 2 weeks passed and I followed up with the store to see what the status was. Turns out they were deemed to need a full recraft and they had actually been finished that day. So all-in-all, AE took care of the structural issue with the shoe pretty quickly and at no cost to me, even on a pair of seconds.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 39 seconds ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 41 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Good suits for under $1000? 2 minutes ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 3 minutes ago
- › Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit... 4 minutes ago
- › Summer Tie Friday Challenge 7/25/2014 5 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)