or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2861

post #42901 of 53288
Carmina is not currently accepting any new shell orders due to scarcity of shell cordovan

Get those AE MTO shell orders in while you can!!!! wink.gif
post #42902 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

It's possible that Carmina, like Rancourt, dyes shell itself.  Rancourt gets only natural and Color 8 from Horween, and dyes the former green, navy, etc.  It may also be true that what Carmina calls "cognac" is what Rancourt calls natural.

I'm sure there are other shell-hounds in this thread (are your ears burning, mdubs?) who know more about this than I do . . . .

Who? What? Oh Shell Colors!

I find Ashland Leather to be a good representation of what Horween actually produces. I am pretty certain that Cognac is indeed a Horween color. I am pretty certain that Horween makes Navy and Green shell, but probably in very limited quantities.

-Mike
post #42903 of 53288

In case my prior message got buried from all the Shell goodness :-). 

 

What size do you take comparing the 8 last (lasalle, delray etc...) to the 5 last (Pa, Fa, Strands, Macallister) 

 

Thanks. 

post #42904 of 53288


BB walnut fifth ave seconds. Some say calf and cotton don't mix but I like these pants with them.
post #42905 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

In case my prior message got buried from all the Shell goodness :-). 



 



What size do you take comparing the 8 last (lasalle, delray etc...) to the 5 last (Pa, Fa, Strands, Macallister) 



 



Thanks. 


 



Length was the same for me on the 8 to the 5. 11.5. Seemed to get the ball of my foot in the right place. Tried my normal 12D and was to far back.

Width felt good on the 8 with a D. For me the 5 last D is snug but not uncomfortable/painful. E is a bit more generous but not falling off.

So my conclusion on the 8 is your normal width and down a half size. As always your mileage may vary.
post #42906 of 53288
^

So the consensus is is to go down 1/2 a size but keep the same width for the 8 last compared to the 5 last? as in 8.5D 8-last = 9D 5-last?

I'm a 9D in the 5-last for sure, but if I go down to 8.5D, that's pretty much barrie last territory for me (I'm an 8.5D in the barrie last)...., I'll check it out. Thanks.
post #42907 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

^

So the consensus is is to go down 1/2 a size but keep the same width for the 8 last compared to the 5 last? as in 8.5D 8-last = 9D 5-last?

I'm a 9D in the 5-last for sure, but if I go down to 8.5D, that's pretty much barrie last territory for me (I'm an 8.5D in the barrie last)...., I'll check it out. Thanks.

No, no. Go down a half size in length from your brannock size, which would be the same as the 5 last.

As always YMMV
post #42908 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

In case my prior message got buried from all the Shell goodness :-). 

What size do you take comparing the 8 last (lasalle, delray etc...) to the 5 last (Pa, Fa, Strands, Macallister) 

Thanks. 

My Brannock size is 9D and I take 9D in both the 5 and 8 last. I think the heel area is slightly wider on the 5 last and the rest of the shoe feels about the same.
post #42909 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post



BB walnut fifth ave seconds. Some say calf and cotton don't mix but I like these pants with them.

 

Looking good!

post #42910 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post



BB walnut fifth ave seconds. Some say calf and cotton don't mix but I like these pants with them.

 

Looks good to me!  Never heard of calf and cotton pants not pairing well together...

post #42911 of 53288
Is it appropriate to offer critiques or criticisms in this thread? I only ask because I am relatively new here and don't want to ruffle any feathers.
post #42912 of 53288
I don't see why not...
post #42913 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

Looks good to me!  Never heard of calf and cotton pants not pairing well together...
I was probably just over interpreting. 'Dress' cotton works well but maybe harder to pull off with a very casual cotton. But as awlays if it looks good wear it :-)
post #42914 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post



BB walnut fifth ave seconds. Some say calf and cotton don't mix but I like these pants with them.

I saw a guy the other day wearing some walnut Fifth Avenues (AE walnut, which is lighter than the BB color judging by your pic). They looked great, very elegant. I am considering getting a pair.

post #42915 of 53288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post

I was probably just over interpreting. 'Dress' cotton works well but maybe harder to pull off with a very casual cotton. But as awlays if it looks good wear it :-)

I wear chino's with my strand's at work. They look fine, don't over think the "rules" smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread