or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2792

post #41866 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mispoke View Post

Context: work in a law firm

Already Have: black park ave and walnut strands

What's the next step?

I feel like I need one more pair for a complete rotation. Probably a darker brown and more formal than the strands. Suggestions?

I concur with Big Rob's suggestion of the FA or McAlister in brown.

If you wear sport coats & tie a lot, the McAlister might bridge the gap a tiny bit better. I'd also suggest (if you want to dip your toe into the shell water) the Cambridge or MacNeil in burgundy are excellent.

I realize there are people who preach no bluchers with suits. But, in the US anyway, there is ample precedent for wearing dark colored gunboats with suits.
post #41867 of 52471

Beautiful!

post #41868 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

I went back to grab a burgundy Kenwood and hated the color. It was too dark and looked more like a brown, but the burgundy Walden was exactly the color I wanted.









Have a great weekend, all! smile.gif

Beautiful!

post #41869 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

@tampatravel Not bad at all! They know you have fine taste in footwear, my friend. Do they ever tell you that you need more NSTs like tifosi?

They refer to them as @tifosi toes! Ha Ha Ha

Speaking of "Tifosi Toes", I was at my tailor yesterday and there was another fella standing there waiting to drop off a blazer. Anyways...he had NSTs on some light walnut colored shoes. They were begging for some TLC . The front f them looked like someone's dirty and cracked elbows. Gross.

It hot me to thinking why a guy, who obviously cares about how things fit or what he looks like (he was at a tailor after all), but would let his shoes get that bad?

I tried to take a pic but couldn't do it without looking like a weirdo biggrin.gif
post #41870 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

They refer to them as @tifosi toes! Ha Ha Ha

Speaking of "Tifosi Toes", I was at my tailor yesterday and there was another fella standing there waiting to drop off a blazer. Anyways...he had NSTs on some light walnut colored shoes. They were begging for some TLC . The front f them looked like someone's dirty and cracked elbows. Gross.

It hot me to thinking why a guy, who obviously cares about how things fit or what he looks like (he was at a tailor after all), but would let his shoes get that bad?

I tried to take a pic but couldn't do it without looking like a weirdo biggrin.gif

Haha! Did you see I changed my avatar just for you @tampatravel? haha

That definitely wasn't me! I take care of my tifosi toes!
post #41871 of 52471

There are new Mcneil webgems up at the AE website.  Natural leather, burgundy, and cognac with a few  different rubber sole options.  I would choose the cognac with the red rubber sole.


Edited by delmar - 3/29/14 at 10:48am
post #41872 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post

Those look sharp.  How much do they charge for a shine there?
3$ to the store and tip to the gentleman.
post #41873 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mispoke View Post

Context: work in a law firm

Already Have: black park ave and walnut strands

What's the next step?

I feel like I need one more pair for a complete rotation. Probably a darker brown and more formal than the strands. Suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post


I concur with Big Rob's suggestion of the FA or McAlister in brown.

If you wear sport coats & tie a lot, the McAlister might bridge the gap a tiny bit better. I'd also suggest (if you want to dip your toe into the shell water) the Cambridge or MacNeil in burgundy are excellent.

I realize there are people who preach no bluchers with suits. But, in the US anyway, there is ample precedent for wearing dark colored gunboats with suits.

Thanks for the replies. Some followup questions:

(1) Fifth Avenue—brown burnished calf or bourbon?

(2) Do Fifth Aves ever go on sale for Nordstrom Anniversary? If not, where/when else to nab a deal?

(3) Are the walnut strands work-appropriate in a BigLaw firm setting?
post #41874 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post

There are new Mcneil webgems up at the AE website.  Natural leather, burgundy, and cognac with a few  different rubber sole options.  I would choose the cognac with the red rubber sole.

The cognac has me interested
post #41875 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post
 

There are new Mcneil webgems up at the AE website.  Natural leather, burgundy, and cognac with a few  different rubber sole options.  I would choose the cognac with the red rubber sole.

Agree - Here is a shoe that belongs in the collection of every single member of this forum:

 

burgundy LWB (Macneil 5) with a Dainite sole - can't get more useful or more versatile than that.

post #41876 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySaw View Post

Agree - Here is a shoe that belongs in the collection of every single member of this forum:

burgundy LWB (Macneil 5) with a Dainite sole - can't get more useful or more versatile than that.


I concur likely my next order.
post #41877 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene_Lahm View Post


I'm rather impressed with how those look after the worst winter in Toronto in over 25 years, and no additional treatment other than polish and conditioner. Seems like you did a little bit of walking in deep snow, and a mix of business casual and city wear. Might opt for these for next winter, as the Dalton's i've had for almost two years now don't get quite the amount of wear I had initially expected in this climate.

Those vibram soles do a great job of keeping the leather up and out of the salt and slush. If you are in Toronto and looking for a good deal right now on a similar boot, check out the Rider boot on sale at Leatherfoot. Although I am incredibly pleased with my Longbranches, had these Riders been on sale at this price when I made my purchase, I would have bought them in a second:

http://www.leatherfoot.com/store/grafton/dp/1783

 

post #41878 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mispoke View Post



Thanks for the replies. Some followup questions:

(1) Fifth Avenue—brown burnished calf or bourbon?

(2) Do Fifth Aves ever go on sale for Nordstrom Anniversary? If not, where/when else to nab a deal?

(3) Are the walnut strands work-appropriate in a BigLaw firm setting?

1) I'm a lawyer, too, though not at a big firm.  I think the Fifth Avenues are classic in any color, but brown burnished calf would be dressier for the office.

 

3) The walnut strands are appropriate for wearing to the office, but I probably wouldn't wear them to court, or to meetings with important clients.  But you could definitely wear them to a regular work day, particularly if you're doing something social after work and don't want to look as if you are going to depose your friends.

post #41879 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySaw View Post
 

Agree - Here is a shoe that belongs in the collection of every single member of this forum:

 

burgundy LWB (Macneil 5) with a Dainite sole - can't get more useful or more versatile than that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post


I concur likely my next order.

Note that this is a single sole--whereas the standard MacNeil comes on a double sole. Same with the Dainite version--there is no midsole between the rubber and the welt. As far as I am concerned, MacNeil on a single sole would look pretty awkward. 

post #41880 of 52471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post
 

Casual shoe question for you all:

 

The Allen Edmonds outlets have a pair of Amoks in my size for $99.  I've always admired the Amoks, especially in tan, but I already have a pair of Clarks dark brown suede desert boots, with a crepe rubber sole. I recently bought tan Elgins and chili Daltons in the 2-for-$250 sale. 

 

I am relatively new to buying higher-quality shoes.  I know that a nicer pair of chukkas are among the most versatile shoes one can own. The Clarks, because they are more casual, are less versatile.  Obviously the tan Amoks are sharp, and would give me another option.  But, if I am relatively new to buying nicer shoes, and have other holes it my wardrobe, would it be better to put my money towards something that's less redundant with those three shoes that I already have?  It seems to me that I can wear the Clarks chukkas for very casual occasions, and the wingtips and casual boots also with jeans, or with slacks and a sportcoat or sweater on slightly dressier occasions.  To what occasions, or with what items of clothing, could I wear the Amok chukkas, but not the Clarks chukkas?

 

I had the same question earlier in the year and decided to pass on the Amoks as I had 2 pairs of Clarks. As you said, the Amoks are a nicer, dressier shoe but as someone else recommended to you, I found it better to put my money towards the other gaps I had. I decided the next chukkas I'd buy would be the Dundees if I was going for a more formal chukka. Reading what you wrote you seem to have

 

Dark Brown Clarks Chukka

Tan Elgin

Chili Dalton

 

There's lots of room in there for other shoes to diversify your wardrobe and give you more options. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread