or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 279

post #4171 of 43051

If you look over the product description, the Jefferson is an upgrade to the McAllister.  Brass nails, lambskin lining, wheeled edges, brass nameplate, etc.  Hence the price premium.  It's a good looking shoe.  I'd buy a pair, but the up charge for custom sizing puts me close to shell cordovan pricing; so I'd go with the shell instead. 

post #4172 of 43051

Thanks PhiPsi, I didn't catch that in the description.  It's a great looking shoe.  Maybe I'll see if it goes on sale next week but I doubt it will.

 

Isn't there another AE sale in the summer, as well?  Thought I read something about one.

post #4173 of 43051
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero neck View Post

Thanks.  What i really want is the Jefferson, but can't figure out how come they're 445 unless it's just a quality of the construction issue.

If anyone has any info on that shoe i'd appreciate it.

The construction is higher than the Jefferson shoes since it is from their Independence line. I don't have any AE Independence but the RL Sanderson is basically the same shoe as AE Williams (another shoe from Independence) re-branded, and the finish is better, construction is sturdier overall. Not sure I would pay the $445 for it though.
post #4174 of 43051

Eh, it's a $110 premium.  That doesn't seem out of line especially if you like AE shoes.

post #4175 of 43051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejomby View Post

Yeah, I'll post some after Easter.  It's been frustrating dealing with it.  My Bayfield boots are creasing everywhere, and the Mcneils feel great but developed a concavity in the toe.  The others I've had no problems with.


My Bayfield, Dalton and 5th St. boots all wrinkle on the uppers, not really bad creasing though. AE Cascades which are shorter not so much. Can not find a true boot tree with upper support any where. So ended up getting the shortest boot shaft shaper I could find which was the 9.5" Pedag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VOKTHE/ref=oh_o01_s00_i03_details I insert it after lacing the boots up as soon as I take them off. I stretch the uppers around it for the first 24 hours after wearing them. Then I use the woodlore boot trees from cedarville: http://cedarvillestore.com/p-20-mens-boot-tree.aspx you can use the code askandy on checkout for 10% off. Sizing on the boot trees is different than shoe trees, make sure you use the chart for the boot trees and not the shoe trees. The combination of boot shaper and boot trees has really helped a lot with the creasing on all of my boots.

 

post #4176 of 43051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post



My Bayfield, Dalton and 5th St. boots all wrinkle on the uppers, not really bad creasing though. AE Cascades which are shorter not so much. Can not find a true boot tree with upper support any where. So ended up getting the shortest boot shaft shaper I could find which was the 9.5" Pedag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VOKTHE/ref=oh_o01_s00_i03_details I insert it after lacing the boots up as soon as I take them off. I stretch the uppers around it for the first 24 hours after wearing them. Then I use the woodlore boot trees from cedarville: http://cedarvillestore.com/p-20-mens-boot-tree.aspx
 you can use the code askandy on checkout for 10% off. Sizing on the boot trees is different than shoe trees, make sure you use the chart for the boot trees and not the shoe trees. The combination of boot shaper and boot trees has really helped a lot with the creasing on all of my boots.

That's a good idea. A couple questions.:

- the boots aren't too short for them? The shape works OK?
- I guess you can't fit both shoe trees and boot trees in the boot a the same time? i.e.: the boot trees go all the way down to the insole?
post #4177 of 43051
This is what my AE Hales looked like with a good shine brand new however I wanted something with a bit more oomph.

My cirage guy in Paris is an absolute gentleman and magician - the best in Paris - Laurent di Mascio

He performed a "glacage" job - not sure what that is in english?

The second picture is very poor - but the difference is clear. Make sure to enlarge it to see the difference - merci

347

243
Edited by JamesK - 4/8/12 at 8:23am
post #4178 of 43051

Will all 1st quality shoes be on sale? I want to get walnut Jefferson, black Park Ave, and black McAllister. I need these in an 8E what is the likely hood of getting all these on sale?

 

 

post #4179 of 43051


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


That's a good idea. A couple questions.:
- the boots aren't too short for them? The shape works OK?
- I guess you can't fit both shoe trees and boot trees in the boot a the same time? i.e.: the boot trees go all the way down to the insole?

No none of the boots are too short for them, they work great shape is perfect.

 

Correct can not fit both in at the same time unfortunately. It is not a perfect solution but the only one I can come up with for now. Still looking for a reasonably priced dress boot tree that has an upper in the back. Searching on SF and other sites all the links are now dead.
 

 

post #4180 of 43051


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post

This is what my AE Hales looked like with a good shine brand new however I wanted something with a bit more oomph.
My cirage guy in Paris is an absolute gentleman and magician - the best in Paris - Laurent di Mascio
He performed a "glacage" job - not sure what that is in english?
The second picture is very poor - but the difference is clear. Make sure to enlarge it to see the difference - merci

243


Outstanding job by your shoe shine man, yes it is a magical transformation!

 

post #4181 of 43051

IMGP1909.JPG

So, my problem with toebox creasing.  I'll start with the good ones. Above are my Mctavishes in 12D.  Creasing at a minimum, small crease in leftfoot toe box. But I'm happy here.

IMGP1915.JPG

Chesters in 12D.  No toe box issues. Great shoe!  (I know-- who needs 2 pairs of black wingtips? Apparently I do.)  And no trees in them right now because I just took them off briefly to take this picture.

 

IMGP1910.JPG

IMGP1911.JPG

MacNeils 12D.  Creasing like crazy.  Toebox on right foot collapsed at one point (Notice the light brown discoloration). Currently, the tips are stuffed with newspaper.

IMGP1912.JPG

Bayfields 12D.  Very snug shoe, but lots of creasing.  Not sure what to do here.

 

All of them have trees when I'm not wearing them.  I try to polish them once every 2 weeks (The bayfields are definitely due for a polish today.)

 

Edit: let me add that the fit on all of them is good.  No heel slippage, no cramping of the toes.


Edited by ejomby - 4/8/12 at 2:59pm
post #4182 of 43051
I was sure you were not using trees until I saw you said otherwise. Given that you're using trees, what kind? I suspect they are too small as your shoes are obviously not getting the support a tree is supposed to offer.
post #4183 of 43051
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportin_life View Post


The construction is higher than the Jefferson shoes since it is from their Independence line. I don't have any AE Independence but the RL Sanderson is basically the same shoe as AE Williams (another shoe from Independence) re-branded, and the finish is better, construction is sturdier overall. Not sure I would pay the $445 for it though.


My first AE shoe was the Jefferson, was planning on getting the players shoe at Nordy but liked the Jefferson a lot more and the extra $110 was worth it especially with the lining of the shoe and the extra comfort. Subsequently I bought the Park Avenue and was quite disappointed so I ended up returning it and now have a pair of Rutledge on their way.

post #4184 of 43051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingTail View Post



My first AE shoe was the Jefferson, was planning on getting the players shoe at Nordy but liked the Jefferson a lot more and the extra $110 was worth it especially with the lining of the shoe and the extra comfort. Subsequently I bought the Park Avenue and was quite disappointed so I ended up returning it and now have a pair of Rutledge on their way.

Some pics of both, please biggrin.gif
post #4185 of 43051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDave View Post

I was sure you were not using trees until I saw you said otherwise. Given that you're using trees, what kind? I suspect they are too small as your shoes are obviously not getting the support a tree is supposed to offer.


Woodlore/Allen Edmonds trees for 12s.  Maybe I'm not jamming them into the tips good enough?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread