or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2531

post #37951 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post

thank you septimus, much appreciated. While I'm here I thought I would contribute my sizing experience since it seems to be a common question for people new to the brand. I am normally an 11 and using the printable tool from the ae website I was an 11c. When I had a chance, I stopped by a local L&T to try on the Park ave. I had my eye on several shoes on the 5 last (park ave, strand). They only carried 11 in D which ended up being still too tight in the toes. 11.5D seemed more comfortable but not quite right. I wanted to try a 3 last since I thought the wider toe would suit me better. Fortunately Amazon was carrying the Harrison on sale (in 11D), which is essentially the park ave on a 3 instead of 5. I was pleased to find it fit well as I hoped. Not sure if that means the 5 is out for me or I just have to experiment more with L-W combinations. Anyway hope this is helpful to a future researcher.

 

BL, thanks for sharing.  This is similar to my experience.  I wear a 9.5 D in the 5 last and 9.5 B in the 3 last.  The 5 last is quite narrow, so I would try 11E to see if that's any better.  Is there an AE store near by?  In my experience, it's important to get fitted correctly at a AE store since they stock more shoes in different widths.  Once you figure out what's comfortable in the 5 last, there are many popular options in this last you can choose from.

post #37952 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

BL, thanks for sharing.  This is similar to my experience.  I wear a 9.5 D in the 5 last and 9.5 B in the 3 last.  The 5 last is quite narrow, so I would try 11E to see if that's any better.  Is there an AE store near by?  In my experience, it's important to get fitted correctly at a AE store since they stock more shoes in different widths.  Once you figure out what's comfortable in the 5 last, there are many popular options in this last you can choose from.

I don't think there is one near my home but I am in NYC fairly often for work so will try to stop by one of their midtown stores at some point. Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately amazon didn't have the Harrison in 11b so didn't get to try it. The 11d is a hair wide in the left shoe, the laces just about meet. Not sure if my feet are uneven or the shoes.
post #37953 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL70 View Post


I don't think there is one near my home but I am in NYC fairly often for work so will try to stop by one of their midtown stores at some point. Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately amazon didn't have the Harrison in 11b so didn't get to try it. The 11d is a hair wide in the left shoe, the laces just about meet. Not sure if my feet are uneven or the shoes.

My understanding is that AE doesn't stock that many shoes from the independence line, especially in the odd sizes (B widths).  Make sure you call the store ahead of time to reserve a pair in your size for you.  My SA had one pair made (took about 3-4 weeks) so I can try them on.  

post #37954 of 51087
I use black or navy polish on navy or black shoes , can never tell a difference! Have even used chic brown on .#8 comes out perfect! I love how everyone thinks they are going to change the color of a fine shoe with a little polish!
post #37955 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc44 View Post

I use black or navy polish on navy or black shoes , can never tell a difference! Have even used chic brown on .#8 comes out perfect! I love how everyone thinks they are going to change the color of a fine shoe with a little polish!

Agreed, polish does very little to change the colour of your shoes if you apply directly, much less the slight bit of extra when you change colours. Not only that, but a brush is so easy to clean.

 

Then again, I'm always a proponent of the best method, and that would be to use separate brushes

post #37956 of 51087
One brush for light colors , one for dark colors is all one needs I have been doing it for years my burgandys are still burgandys and blacks still black cigar still cigar!
post #37957 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc44 View Post

One brush for light colors , one for dark colors is all one needs I have been doing it for years my burgandys are still burgandys and blacks still black cigar still cigar!

Although I agree that the probability of color bleed (unless you use it when creaming or paste waxing) will be minimal to none. For the cost of a brush compared to the cost of your shoes, I gladly spend the few dollars and not even have to think about it.
post #37958 of 51087
McAdams (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9011_1_40000000001_-1_) in suede?

How would it compare to this Carmina?
post #37959 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post

McAdams (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9011_1_40000000001_-1_) in suede?

How would it compare to this Carmina? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Poorly. Those Carmina's are in a whole different league.

post #37960 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post

Poorly. Those Carmina's are in a whole different league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post

Poorly. Those Carmina's are in a whole different league.
Crap, accidental post
post #37961 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSamurai View Post
 

 

Now....do I also spring from the burgundy shell Macneils? 

 

One purchase I can maybe justify...but two? 

 

Decisions, decisions......

I so want a pair of burgundy shell Mccneils. None on the list in size 12D though. I wear my black and 2 pairs of walnut Macneils all the time. I really think the Macneil is a staple, and the burgundy shell is beautiful. It is one of the few missing shoes in my collection. 

post #37962 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post
 

I so want a pair of burgundy shell Mccneils. None on the list in size 12D though. I wear my black and 2 pairs of walnut Macneils all the time. I really think the Macneil is a staple, and the burgundy shell is beautiful. It is one of the few missing shoes in my collection. 


You and me both. I called a few weeks ago, and they didn't have a pair in 12D then.

post #37963 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
 

I think that small flaw on the Harrisons will polish out and not be noticeable.

 

I agree.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Septimus View Post

 

On another topic, does anyone have pictures of shell burgundy Leeds?  I'd love to see them.  And, any advice on sizing compared to the 5-last (where I'm a 10D)?

 

 

After treating with Saphir Cordovan Cordovan shoe polish, they are older and have started the turn toward brown. Sizing for me is pretty straight forward but not sure if my feet could be considered "normal". I wear a 10D in both 1 and 5 last and they both fit me perfectly. As well as the 1 last fits me I think the 5 fits me just a little bit better. Others on here have had to change sizing between the 1 and 5 last however. I don't think you will regret the burgundy shell Leeds they were my first pair of shell and still see a lot of use.

post #37964 of 51087
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post
 

I so want a pair of burgundy shell Mccneils. None on the list in size 12D though. I wear my black and 2 pairs of walnut Macneils all the time. I really think the Macneil is a staple, and the burgundy shell is beautiful. It is one of the few missing shoes in my collection. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post


You and me both. I called a few weeks ago, and they didn't have a pair in 12D then.

And I too so want a pair of burgundy shell Macneil in size 10D. They have not been available in my size during any of the sales over the years, including this one. I heard back from Kristle last night and the one pair they do have is listed as burgundy but she said in real life they look brown so I passed. She came back with - how about if I put you on the waiting list and when they become available you can have them for the current sale price of $299? So I will finally get my shell gunboats, just don't know when. Not sure if that is always an option but considering how many shoes you all have I would certainly think so. Worth a try!

post #37965 of 51087
when you mean change sizes, you mean to size down and not size up from the 5-Last to the 1-Last?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread