or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2525

post #37861 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post

Hard decision to make tomorrow:

A) Brown cordovan Dundees (2nds) for $299

or

B) Drive on with my MTO Shaker Heights in all brown Chromexcel on a mini lug sole for $279.

This will be my last shoe purchase for a very, very long time to come. I sold my wife on option B, as it's replacing a much cheaper 3-season boot that's on its last legs. Nevertheless, I can't escape the feeling that I'll rue letting these Dundees go....

 

You'll rue letting those Dundees go.

post #37862 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV988 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

Totally not brown.  Those are burgundy.  I consulted my wife, since women know their colors; she agrees.

Agree. On top of that, the AE site shows the brown ones to have antique edging and the burgundy to have black edging like the OP's pair.

 

OK, I'm revisiting this issue.  Here are two more (admittedly crappily-lit) photos of my dark brown and burgundy.  In both photos, the dark brown is on the left:

 

 

 

Colors are so so close, but at least in my case the "dark brown" does have the antique edging.

 

I'm considering following Cold Iron's suggestion and Reno-ing the hell out of both of them just to see what happens - but that could be a horribly ill-advised and expensive experiment.

post #37863 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

One of my favorite AE models. 

Hoit, maybe the mislabled color was the "defect" if they're seconds.

Happy superbowl sunday boys!

Purchased as firsts. Going to be sending them back.
post #37864 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV988 View Post

Agree. On top of that, the AE site shows the brown ones to have antique edging and the burgundy to have black edging like the OP's pair.

Thanks for pointing that out!
post #37865 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Sorry to be a bore, but I thought I would post another couple of photos of my supposed brown shell Dundee's. I believe these show the burgundy color quite well. It's not that I don't like the color per se, but I was after a brown shell chukka, not a #8. Would you guys agree that these are in fact #8 (or the AE equivalent)?G]

Definitely burgundy shell, maybe a little darker than most. Very nice.
post #37866 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post


Definitely burgundy shell, maybe a little darker than most. Very nice.


Yes, congrats on being the proud owner of some burgundy shell!  ha ha

post #37867 of 53452

So im guessing starting now… its going to be a slow night on this forum.

post #37868 of 53452

My Brown Rothsay's came in the mail yesterday. Was initially very excited at their beauty and until I saw a distinct mark on the toe of the right shoe. Turns out it is on the left shoe as well, but how could it leave the factory like this? The packaging came with a return slip but I already waited a month to get these. Do you think if I call them and make a stink tomorrow that they'll ship me a new pair before receiving these? I hope so!

 

post #37869 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post


Yes, congrats on being the proud owner of some burgundy shell!  ha ha

I mean it's not like I waited a month for them or anything... :-/
post #37870 of 53452

Anyone here ever use lighter tone polish on a darker shoe? I have AE walnut polish for my Strands and am wondering if it would be blasphemous to use the same polish on my dark brown Long Branches. The reason I ask is because I am a student and I move around a lot, and I would like to streamline my shoe care accessories as much as possible. Doing this would potentially eliminate the "need" for me to have separate shoe brushes for the different color polishes.

post #37871 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

Anyone here ever use lighter tone polish on a darker shoe? I have AE walnut polish for my Strands and am wondering if it would be blasphemous to use the same polish on my dark brown Long Branches. The reason I ask is because I am a student and I move around a lot, and I would like to streamline my shoe care accessories as much as possible. Doing this would potentially eliminate the "need" for me to have separate shoe brushes for the different color polishes.

I see a problem arising with this. You may get a lighter color polish in the cracks/creases of the shoe, and it could be noticeable. If you are intent on only having 1 polish, I would get some neutral polish and use it for all your shoes. But seriously, just get the right color polishes. They don't take up to much space.  

post #37872 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

I see a problem arising with this. You may get a lighter color polish in the cracks/creases of the shoe, and it could be noticeable. If you are intent on only having 1 polish, I would get some neutral polish and use it for all your shoes. But seriously, just get the right color polishes. They don't take up to much space.  

Not to mention I am sure the op worked hard to purchase said shoes. I would't advocate taking short cuts, allocate the space and time to take care of your shoes properly.
post #37873 of 53452

what do you guys think about the new shreveport woven shoe?

 

I own the New Orleans in walnut (not interested in the shreveport) and I love the fact that the woven part is impervious to creasing after several months of wear.

 

What do you guys think of the woven styles?

post #37874 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

Anyone here ever use lighter tone polish on a darker shoe? I have AE walnut polish for my Strands and am wondering if it would be blasphemous to use the same polish on my dark brown Long Branches. The reason I ask is because I am a student and I move around a lot, and I would like to streamline my shoe care accessories as much as possible. Doing this would potentially eliminate the "need" for me to have separate shoe brushes for the different color polishes.

 

AE polish in a tube can take up some space.  I have all my shoe care in a shoe box and it's getting full pretty quickly.  With that said, you can get the brown polish from kiwi or meltonian in a can/jar.  It's a bit cheaper and doesn't take up too much space.  I don't think anyone from this forum will agree with you on using walnut polish on dark brown shoes, you'll ruin nice shoes that you work hard for.  Plus, who knows, they may ban you from this forum for doing so :D

post #37875 of 53452
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

what do you guys think about the new shreveport woven shoe?

I own the New Orleans in walnut (not interested in the shreveport) and I love the fact that the woven part is impervious to creasing after several months of wear.

What do you guys think of the woven styles?

Great for the Gulf coast, any part of FL, or the Caribbean. Less keen as you move away from there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread