or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 240

post #3586 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post



Quote:


I just different info from different sources. Note, I inquired only about the shell leeds. I contacted an SA (store mgr) at a Boston store who indicated that there are currently no promotions on the shell Leeds.They are listed at full price, $575. However, Edward Wickham at the Freeport Factory Store indicated that he could get both sizes I inquired about for $299. Since his price is so good and my sizes are available, I'll be going with the Burgundy Shell Leeds. He's ordering them so I can try a couple of different sizes.

Can anyone comment on the Macneil & Leeds fits? I assumed [incorrectly] that the Macneil and the Leeds were on the same last but they are in fact on the #7 and #1 respectively. If I had to size up by half (to 11.5D) from my brannock size for the Macneil, any idea if I should do the same for the Leeds? My high instep/high volume feet can create some problems and the SA at the State St. Boston store correctly recommended sizing up by half in length as opposed to increasing width to an E. He was very professional and knowledgeable but I can't justify the price difference. The factory 2nds are about 50% less than firsts. Fortunately, Edward can get both for me to try. I'm sure one will work.

As I posted previously, I was considering the Leeds and Alden PTB (and the RL Marlow thanks to kmdsimpson). Once again, the AE won out...due in part to price (OK, due in LARGE part to price) but I do like the slightly narrower appearance compared to the Barrie. Note, I found the same to be true of the Macneil vs. the Alden shell longwing.

Shoemart pics came in handy when making the comparison: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
350x350px-LL-7ab714cc_448611575LL.jpeg
350x350px-LL-4f9c470f_900x900px-LL-060281c9_990-top.jpeg



350x350px-LL-6bc1c0c5_210231884LL.jpeg
350x350px-LL-79bb3910_93462495LL.jpeg


Great pickup. I likely would have done the same if I didn't already have the RL version.

Now I'm really tempted to see if there are some Strand shells available in my size...
post #3587 of 53416
Need some suggestion from some of you please?

I have quite a few pairs of brown shoes (70% of my shoes). I want to purchase a pair of cordovans. The only cordovans that I own are the McNeil’s in burgundy cordovan. My choice would be either the Strand or the Cambridge.

I have a pair of Calf McAllister’s in Merlot therefore I don't think I want another burgundy pair. So for the Cambridge that only leaves black. Now for the Strands I have them in Walnut Calf. Therefore that only leaves brown (which I thing look very good). Darn - if I didn't have so many brown shoes it would be a "no brainer".

Questions are - How does the black cordovan look as compared to black calf in you opinion? I've seen burgundy cordovan after 20 wears and they look great. I've also have seen brown and also great. I would thing that black is just ok?

Apologies for rambling...
post #3588 of 53416
Can someone comment on what the new "333" last looks like? Compared to, say C&J last 348, or other similar-lasted shoes.

More pic would be great.
post #3589 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


Great pickup. I likely would have done the same if I didn't already have the RL version.
Now I'm really tempted to see if there are some Strand shells available in my size...


There you go again...show off smile.gif .

 

I may have to try the strand on. I always assumed that because they are a balmoral, they wouldn't work well for me. I could never get the Park Ave to fit right for instance. But I am really smitten with the dark brown shell version. Even the dark brown calf looks nice on that shoe.

post #3590 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post



There you go again...show off smile.gif .

I may have to try the strand on. I always assumed that because they are a balmoral, they wouldn't work well for me. I could never get the Park Ave to fit right for instance. But I am really smitten with the dark brown shell version. Even the dark brown calf looks nice on that shoe.

lol. I have the same issue/fear with the Strand. I might go try a pair at Nordstrom and see how they fit. I'm worried they'll be too narrow.

I suppose burgundy shell MacNeil would be a good backup!
post #3591 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by knezz View Post

Need some suggestion from some of you please?
I have quite a few pairs of brown shoes (70% of my shoes). I want to purchase a pair of cordovans. The only cordovans that I own are the McNeil’s in burgundy cordovan. My choice would be either the Strand or the Cambridge.
I have a pair of Calf McAllister’s in Merlot therefore I don't think I want another burgundy pair. So for the Cambridge that only leaves black. Now for the Strands I have them in Walnut Calf. Therefore that only leaves brown (which I thing look very good). Darn - if I didn't have so many brown shoes it would be a "no brainer".
Questions are - How does the black cordovan look as compared to black calf in you opinion? I've seen burgundy cordovan after 20 wears and they look great. I've also have seen brown and also great. I would thing that black is just ok?
Apologies for rambling...


Black shell cordovan is a cool material - it obviously creases differently than calf, and should last longer.  The shine is very different than black calf - it is more of a transparent luster, almost like a black jelly bean.

 

I have black shell leeds, and find them fairly versatile, but I really only wear them with black and sometimes charcoal pants / suits.  I prefer burgundy or brown. 

 

You already have the Macneils in burgundy - what about the Leeds or Bradley?  What about a loafer in burgundy, like the Randolph, Westchester or Grayson? 

 

post #3592 of 53416

Do we have definite confirmation on the sale on shells?  Through all the factories?  I'm overseas, so i can't really put a phone call in right now.  But I'd love to snag something while I can.

post #3593 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post



There you go again...show off smile.gif .

I may have to try the strand on. I always assumed that because they are a balmoral, they wouldn't work well for me. I could never get the Park Ave to fit right for instance. But I am really smitten with the dark brown shell version. Even the dark brown calf looks nice on that shoe.

Going up to an E width seemed to address the instep issues I have with bals. YMMV.
post #3594 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


lol. I have the same issue/fear with the Strand. I might go try a pair at Nordstrom and see how they fit. I'm worried they'll be too narrow.
I suppose burgundy shell MacNeil would be a good backup!

 

Great idea, that would make a nice backup. I'm very pleased with my new burgundy Macneils. They fit well and appear to wear like iron, from the Rendenbach oak tanned soles to the bombproof shell uppers. I'm excited to add the Leeds in the same color to my rotation.
 

I wish AE offered the Leeds in a brown shell like the Strand or maybe even the new Cappuccino color. That would be a real nice makeup. Now that I think of it, I never even checked to see if the Leeds were available in the new Cappuccino cordovan color. I suppose even if it did, it wouldn't be anywhere the $299 price of the factory 2nd burgundy Leeds.

 

I've got a couple week trip to Barcelona in May and I figured I'd bring the Macneil as my 'dress' shoe but now I'll have the Leeds to consider. Both are very versatile so I suppose I can't got wrong either way.

post #3595 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejomby View Post

Do we have definite confirmation on the sale on shells?  Through all the factories?  I'm overseas, so i can't really put a phone call in right now.  But I'd love to snag something while I can.



I confirmed via email. You could try the shoebank or any one of the outlets to check size, availability and price. Edward can be reached at:

 

freeport@allenedmonds.com

 

Good luck!

post #3596 of 53416
Just to confirm: Nordstrom non shell strands are the same as shell strands (fit wise)? Last time i was at Nordies, they only had the calf version of the strands. Same last, same fit, right?

Sounds like the sale shell strands will only be available via phone.
post #3597 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post



I confirmed via email. You could try the shoebank or any one of the outlets to check size, availability and price. Edward can be reached at:

freeport@allenedmonds.com

Good luck!

Patrick, thanks! I just emailed and got a response back from Edward in I'd say less than 5 minutes! Good service.

EDIT: You just cost me $300. Have a pair of burgundy shell MacNeils coming my way!

No Strands [in my size] available, so those - and their potential fit issues - will have to wait for another day.
Edited by kmdsimpson - 3/16/12 at 11:59am
post #3598 of 53416

For those with brown chromexcel Bayfields:  what do you use to clean/polish your boots?

post #3599 of 53416
Is the cordovan sale going on now? I was told he hadn't started yet from an SA?
post #3600 of 53416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

No Strands available, so those - and their potential fit issues - will have to wait for another day.

Thank goodness, I don't need another pair, but a sale on strand cordovans would have been too hard to resist
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread