or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2386

post #35776 of 49390
I don't know when it'll get here, but I have my #8 Shell Banchory's on their way (MTO invoice on Friday... so soon...). About 3 months for me, had at least one "rejected on inspection" pair. I will have what must be the only in existence unlined shell cordovan long wings that also have the heel cup in shell cordovan as well as the half sock-liner... Fuck I'm excited. On a double JR with transparent light brown. The only question is whether I get a pair that's ruby-red or brownish. Both would be great, but I'd love to get it a nice bright red.
post #35777 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karotona View Post

These shoes are awesome. I've seen quite a few people here recommend the kenilworth, but AE website reviews mention a bowing problem around the ankle. Has anyone experienced this? I'm considering getting a pair.

I have the above pair and another in walnut, and haven't experienced bowing in either. But these shoes are cut a little lower around the ankles than any of my others so I can see how that may be a problem for some people.

My feet are very wide at the ball and very narrow at the ankles like duck feet, so I would have thought id have trouble with most shoes, but so far the only AEs I own (out of 8 pairs) that bow are my Regent Streets (also my favorite pair. Go figure.)
post #35778 of 49390

Sporting my black shell park avenues today. I don't wear these often, but I love the simple understated shoes.
post #35779 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45 View Post
 

I'm going to the New Orleans AE store tomorrow to get fitted -- any suggestions or tips/etc while I'm there?  Will be getting Strands in Merlot as first purchase after much thought and help from you guys!

 

Make sure to try on at least 4 sizes. If the SA measures you at say a 9D, I'd try on a 9D, 9E, 8.5D and 8.5E just to be sure. The 5 last can be a bit tricky to nail the first time. And if they don't have all of those sizes in the Strand, don't think that trying on the McAllister or Kenilworth in those sizes translate perfectly just because they are the same last. In my experience, the three of these shoes fit quite differently.

post #35780 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

Make sure to try on at least 4 sizes. If the SA measures you at say a 9D, I'd try on a 9D, 9E, 8.5D and 8.5E just to be sure. The 5 last can be a bit tricky to nail the first time. And if they don't have all of those sizes in the Strand, don't think that trying on the McAllister or Kenilworth in those sizes translate perfectly just because they are the same last. In my experience, the three of these shoes fit quite differently.

Agree, but it's okay to try on black, brown or walnut Strands... :-)
post #35781 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karotona View Post


These shoes are awesome. I've seen quite a few people here recommend the kenilworth, but AE website reviews mention a bowing problem around the ankle. Has anyone experienced this? I'm considering getting a pair.

 

I had this on the first pair that I purchased. I wore them about 3 times and the bowing was just too much. Thankfully, AE had me send them back, inspected them and offered a replacement even though they had been worn. My second pair doesn't have this issue. I had to size down from 8E (Strand) to 7.5E in the Kenilworth.

post #35782 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

 

Make sure to try on at least 4 sizes. If the SA measures you at say a 9D, I'd try on a 9D, 9E, 8.5D and 8.5E just to be sure. The 5 last can be a bit tricky to nail the first time. And if they don't have all of those sizes in the Strand, don't think that trying on the McAllister or Kenilworth in those sizes translate perfectly just because they are the same last. In my experience, the three of these shoes fit quite differently.

 

Thanks, that is very helpful information!

post #35783 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

In my experience, the three of these shoes fit quite differently.
Is the difference between the Strand/McAllister/others quantifiable, or is it just "different?" I ask because I like the 8.5 EEE in the Park Avenue, and I have recently ordered 8.5 EEE in the Strand and 9 EEE in the McAllister. Wondering if that should be close (I guess we'll know in a few days).
post #35784 of 49390

Just ordered a couple of Seconds from the current sale:

 

Neumok, brown calf ($119)

 

Fifth Street, black calf ($199)

 

Kelsey at the Jeffersonville location offered me $100 off the Neumok's, since the Fifth Street didn't qualify for the 50/100 off deal due to it's already being discounted.

post #35785 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimanchower View Post


Is the difference between the Strand/McAllister/others quantifiable, or is it just "different?" I ask because I like the 8.5 EEE in the Park Avenue, and I have recently ordered 8.5 EEE in the Strand and 9 EEE in the McAllister. Wondering if that should be close (I guess we'll know in a few days).

 

I'd say the difference between the McAllister & Strand is more "different" than "quantifiable". I wear an 8E in both, but the McAllister is noticeably roomier and I believe I could have gone with an 8D if I had been willing to return them. The Kenilworth's fit is quantifiable to me, as I had to size down to a 7.5E to make it work (and even so it is not a perfect fit).

 

In your case, I don't think sizing up in the McAllister is the right way to go.

post #35786 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

I'd say the difference between the McAllister & Strand is more "different" than "quantifiable". I wear an 8E in both, but the McAllister is noticeably roomier and I believe I could have gone with an 8D if I had been willing to return them. The Kenilworth's fit is quantifiable to me, as I had to size down to a 7.5E to make it work (and even so it is not a perfect fit).

In your case, I don't think sizing up in the McAllister is the right way to go.
Okay, I appreciate the feedback. I only sized up due to availability (seconds sale), and was thinking about returning one pair anyway. I'll report back on my experiences with fit once they arrive.
post #35787 of 49390

Good morning, fellas. I've got an off topic boot care question, I hope you will oblige me. I'll post a gratuitous shot of my AE family for your troubles.

 

First, a question about my RedWing Iron Rangers. I dinged the toe, any suggestions on how to deal with this? Should I attempt to glue the flap down, or just leave it be?

 

Second, my wife has some not often (ever) cared for Frye boots with a distressed finish. I want to condition and possibly polish these, any suggestions on what product(s) to use? AE leather lotion seems to light. Does anyone use Skidmore's here? I use it on my Iron Rangers and it seems to really soften the leather.

 

post #35788 of 49390

Don't start on shell cordovan until your bank account is ready for a beating though - once you start with one pair, they seem to find a way of multiplying.  :)

post #35789 of 49390

MTO finally arrived!  I had to wait a bit longer than expected, but they are just in time to greet the New Year.

 

Cappuccino Lexington (1 last)

Tone on Tone stitching

Standard Leather Insole

Flat Chili Welt

Light Brown Transparent Wheeled Edge (like 1635)

Double JR sole

 

post #35790 of 49390
Quote:
Originally Posted by green garden View Post
 

MTO finally arrived!  I had to wait a bit longer than expected, but they are just in time to greet the New Year.

 

Cappuccino Lexington (1 last)

Tone on Tone stitching

Standard Leather Insole

Flat Chili Welt

Light Brown Transparent Wheeled Edge (like 1635)

Double JR sole

 

 

Beautiful!  Wear them in good health.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread