or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2385

post #35761 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


AE CEO is on record stating his goal isn't to compete with Alden or Britush GYW shoemakers, but rather to convert Kenneth Cole or Calvin Klein square toe buyers who may not have considered paying more than 80$ on shoes before.

Fascinating reddit AMA with him a while back. I'm sure someone can furnish the link...

I do not have the link but Paul has stated this several times in different places as the mission statement of AE. And one of the reasons I am a fan of AE. In addition the 1 and 5 last fit me exceptionally well, and all ~40 pair of AE's that I own have held up exceptionally well. Half of those are shell.

 

When KMD talks I do listen.

 

On the C&J shoes I think it important to distinguish between handgrade vs. bench grade. I have the C&J for RL Marlows in shell. They do not fit my feet just as most European lasts don't and I see absolutely no difference between the quality of them and my AE shells. Except most all of my AE's fit pretty much perfectly and have held up well, some for many years. The Marlows I need to unload and seeing how it is winter should get around to putting them on B&S. They are not any better than any of my AE's, in fact much worse due to fit.

 

 

Which is a personal problem. 

 

AE's are good enough for the President Of the United States to do his inaugural address in. Anything above that really doesn't matter. Really. If it is good enough for the Executive branch then it should be good enough for the Legislative Branch and top business management positions. But there is always a lot of posturing with strong willed people when they are all in a room behind closed doors. Just saying.....

 

I have never felt under dressed wearing my AE's at the Pentagon or in any business meeting. Or at work where heads of state from around the world come for medical treatment and care at a world class facility. They just work and work well IMO. And I have not found any other shoe that meets that requirement at that price point. For me.

post #35762 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

So I just bought a pair of fifth streets on friday for 320$ before tax. The day after this sale happens. The store didn't have my size so they had to order them. Do you guys think I should ask for the 275 deal? Oh yeah, and I payed cash...

I think they would almost have to give you the sale price. Otherwise, you could order another pair at $275 now, and simply return the $320 pair when they come in. Might as well just give you the sale price now. Many other retailers will refund the difference if you bring your receipt in and made the purchase within 30 days of the sale.
post #35763 of 53433

MTO invoice came in Friday.... 11 weeks, the anticipation was killing me.

Ill have something new to show Tuesday.

post #35764 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post


I think they would almost have to give you the sale price. Otherwise, you could order another pair at $275 now, and simply return the $320 pair when they come in. Might as well just give you the sale price now. Many other retailers will refund the difference if you bring your receipt in and made the purchase within 30 days of the sale.

If you just call them they will give the sale price and refund the difference. Same thing happened to me a while back when i purchased a pair of mcallisters.

post #35765 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

MTO invoice came in Friday.... 11 weeks, the anticipation was killing me.
Ill have something new to show Tuesday.

I am sure you said 3 times, but what did you order?
post #35766 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis534 View Post
 

If you just call them they will give the sale price and refund the difference. Same thing happened to me a while back when i purchased a pair of mcallisters.

call the store I purchased them from? I payed cash, so how would they refund me? Sorry, I'm a young guy, I don't have much experience with this kind of thing.

post #35767 of 53433

I'm going to the New Orleans AE store tomorrow to get fitted -- any suggestions or tips/etc while I'm there?  Will be getting Strands in Merlot as first purchase after much thought and help from you guys!

post #35768 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post
 

call the store I purchased them from? I payed cash, so how would they refund me? Sorry, I'm a young guy, I don't have much experience with this kind of thing.

 

You can call the store to confirm that they'll be able to refund you the difference.  Once confirmed, you can go down to the store to get your cash.  Or simply, spend your refund on something while you're there :dozingoff:

post #35769 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Ok...we get you had a bad experience or don't like AE for whatever reason. Why make like 10 posts about it though in a thread of fans? Say your piece and move on

Why are you so ass sore?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

Easy there.
@gringodaddy's fine.

If you pay attention though, he's right. There are a lot of shoes (MTO's, off the rack, etc.) that are posted here that have some issues. Many choose to live with the issues, but it means that their QC isn't the best. Some of the seconds are even worse, with issues that should have relegated them to the thirds pile.

I wonder what the true % of issues would be if everyone that owned a pair or more of AE's actually stated the issues on their shoes. I haven't come across many, if any for that matter, posts about shoes like CJ's/Peal's etc having issues on their firsts. Maybe that contingent just isn't vocal about it or maybe AE needs to get a little bit better about QC.

 

People often come to this thread when they're considering a purchase. They should see both sides of the coin without one side overwhelming the other.

Bingo

post #35770 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

Easy there.
@gringodaddy's fine.

If you pay attention though, he's right. There are a lot of shoes (MTO's, off the rack, etc.) that are posted here that have some issues. Many choose to live with the issues, but it means that their QC isn't the best. Some of the seconds are even worse, with issues that should have relegated them to the thirds pile.

I wonder what the true % of issues would be if everyone that owned a pair or more of AE's actually stated the issues on their shoes. I haven't come across many, if any for that matter, posts about shoes like CJ's/Peal's etc having issues on their firsts. Maybe that contingent just isn't vocal about it or maybe AE needs to get a little bit better about QC.

 

People often come to this thread when they're considering a purchase. They should see both sides of the coin without one side overwhelming the other.

 

you get out of here with that logic

post #35771 of 53433

:)

post #35772 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45 View Post
 

I'm going to the New Orleans AE store tomorrow to get fitted -- any suggestions or tips/etc while I'm there?  Will be getting Strands in Merlot as first purchase after much thought and help from you guys!

 

Robin, Gerald, and Tammy are great - you'll be in good hands.  Excellent choice on the merlot Strands, too.  Don't be surprised if you end up buying more while you're there!

post #35773 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSamurai View Post

For what it's worth, I was in the AE store today to return my way too small Patriots. There was another gentleman in there who asked the SA: "So would you say Allen Edmonds is similar to Memphisto?" SA responded: "Definitely not. We are much more similar to a company like Alden or Churchs."

AE CEO is on record stating his goal isn't to compete with Alden or Britush GYW shoemakers, but rather to convert Kenneth Cole or Calvin Klein square toe buyers who may not have considered paying more than 80$ on shoes before.

Fascinating reddit AMA with him a while back. I'm sure someone can furnish the link...

 

Here ya go:

 

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/xmo2h/i_am_paul_grangaard_allen_edmonds_pres_ceo_amaa/

 

Very fascinating.  He seems like a genuinely good guy.

post #35774 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


I am sure you said 3 times, but what did you order?

Unlined black shell Dalton with mini lug tap.

post #35775 of 53433
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

OR

Combine the two and get a burgundy Kenilworth!



Sorry, can't resist a chance to show off the new babies.

These shoes are awesome. I've seen quite a few people here recommend the kenilworth, but AE website reviews mention a bowing problem around the ankle. Has anyone experienced this? I'm considering getting a pair.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread