or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2380

post #35686 of 51025

Park Avenue in Bourbon for only $200 shipped with code: AFTERXMAS25

 

Sizes 8, 8.5, and 10 left.

 

http://korvue.shophaberdash.com/products/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/allen-edmonds//4544679____
 

post #35687 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post

I took my holiday cash and placed an order for some brown shell Strands today. With a flurry of weddings to attend in 2014, they'll be getting some use! After trying a pair of 8.5E Park Aves, it appears that my 5 last size os just a half down from my normal 9D.

In regard to the earlier Reno v. Saphir creme debate, I think I'll get some neutral creme. Spending another 22 bucks on Reno seems redundant when I have a motherlode of Venetian Cream already.

Congrats on your shell Strands, great choice. 

 

I missed the earlier Reno vs. Saphir cream debate, I can't stay up with this thread anymore it is so active, which is great! I do have the Saphir neutral shell cream along with the colored ones also, and very seldom use them. To me Reno is very much worth it and is basically all I ever use on shell but most of the time just use the Mac method.

 

On rare colors like the 744's I never use anything but Reno. I have worn my 744's hard for the last several months for everything including putting up several cords of Oak firewood. I should have taken before and after pictures but did think to take a picture of one done and another to do yet. The one on the left looked just like the one on the right before I started on it.

 

 

I used just Reno and a lot of water brushing. These have never seen wax or any cream and I don't expect that they ever will. 

post #35688 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm722 View Post

I bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds yesterday at Brook Brothers. The Park Ave versions on sale for $199.41 with the sale, 15% kicker and 15% for opening the card.

Pretty excited to get them in the mail next week. The Brooks Brother ones are a little different I believe.

Congrats that is a great price! The BB ones have a rubber half sole and a poron insert. I have them along with black shell PA, which I wear the most.

 

I purchased a pair of BB PA's for a guy I work with on Christmas, it said they would not ship until Feb. 10th I hope that is wrong. I already had a BB card so I payed %15 more than you. They are for one of the guys I work with, he is younger and has a young family and busts his butt at work everyday. He has eyed my shoes for a long time and has asked many questions. He has said several times that he is tired of those ugly made in China shoes that he pays $100 for and they last less than a year, and he really wants a pair of PA's for his first AE shoes. And that is without even looking at SF :) They are saving up to buy a bigger house and his wife will not let him buy any AE's right now so thought I'd do it for him as long as they were on sale at such a good price. I have offered to buy both of my sons AE shoes or boots for Christmas for several years now and they both always decline :embar:

post #35689 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Congrats that is a great price! The BB ones have a rubber half sole and a poron insert. I have them along with black shell PA, which I wear the most.

I purchased a pair of BB PA's for a guy I work with on Christmas, it said they would not ship until Feb. 10th I hope that is wrong. I already had a BB card so I payed %15 more than you. They are for one of the guys I work with, he is younger and has a young family and busts his butt at work everyday. He has eyed my shoes for a long time and has asked many questions. He has said several times that he is tired of those ugly made in China shoes that he pays $100 for and they last less than a year, and he really wants a pair of PA's for his first AE shoes. And that is without even looking at SF smile.gif  They are saving up to buy a bigger house and his wife will not let him buy any AE's right now so thought I'd do it for him as long as they were on sale at such a good price. I have offered to buy both of my sons AE shoes or boots for Christmas for several years now and they both always decline shog%5B1%5D.gif

Mine said the same ship date online. I went to the store and they said 5 days. They must use different warehouses to stock or something.
post #35690 of 51025
I received an AE gift card for Christmas and am planning on eventually using towards a new pair shoes/boots. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what I should be looking at as I build out my wardrobe. I wear suits 3-4 days a week for work and prefer something that can be dressed up and worn casually.

I currently have:
Black Shell McGraws
Walnut Strand
Bourbon Mcallister

Considering:
Bourbon Daltons
Black or Brown Fifth Avenue
Brown Kenilworth
post #35691 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

Congrats on your shell Strands, great choice. 

 

I missed the earlier Reno vs. Saphir cream debate, I can't stay up with this thread anymore it is so active, which is great! I do have the Saphir neutral shell cream along with the colored ones also, and very seldom use them. To me Reno is very much worth it and is basically all I ever use on shell but most of the time just use the Mac method.

 

On rare colors like the 744's I never use anything but Reno. I have worn my 744's hard for the last several months for everything including putting up several cords of Oak firewood. I should have taken before and after pictures but did think to take a picture of one done and another to do yet. The one on the left looked just like the one on the right before I started on it.

 

 

I used just Reno and a lot of water brushing. These have never seen wax or any cream and I don't expect that they ever will. 

 

I honestly wouldn't've guessed this was possible. I've read a lot about the Mac method but haven't had the same results as others. Do you mind going into a little more detail on how you accomplished this? You didn't need a bone to get the deep scuffs out? What do you mean by "water brushing"? Thanks for your insights.

post #35692 of 51025

Been waiting for the Long Branch to go on sale in my elusive E width. Pulled the trigger with $35 giftcard via AE.com. SUPER STOKED I'll finally have an casual boot!

post #35693 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac View Post

What is the consensus on wearing Dalton's with a nice suit and tie? I wore my Walnut Daltons with a navy suit and someone told me that they looked too chunky to be wearing with a suit.

Thoughts?

It is not for me.
post #35694 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post

I received an AE gift card for Christmas and am planning on eventually using towards a new pair shoes/boots. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what I should be looking at as I build out my wardrobe. I wear suits 3-4 days a week for work and prefer something that can be dressed up and worn casually.

I currently have:
Black Shell McGraws
Walnut Strand
Bourbon Mcallister

Considering:
Bourbon Daltons
Black or Brown Fifth Avenue
Brown Kenilworth

 

You don't yet have a derby, so the Kenilworth would certainly fill a hole.  On that front, you could check out the Leeds too.  I'm with those on this thread that wouldn't pair Daltons with a suit (I have Fifth Streets for that).  I really like the Fifth Avenues but I think they would overlap a little with your Strands.

 

Are you not into merlot/burgundy?  The Leeds in burgundy shell is a pretty penny but an absolutely gorgeous shoe.

post #35695 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

I honestly wouldn't've guessed this was possible. I've read a lot about the Mac method but haven't had the same results as others. Do you mind going into a little more detail on how you accomplished this? You didn't need a bone to get the deep scuffs out? What do you mean by "water brushing"? Thanks for your insights.

No deer bone or spoon on scuffs, I used to worry a lot whenever I nicked or scuffed one of my shell shoes. But have found that over time they "self heal" for the most part but it may take several wearings and brushings. I read everything that I could find that Mac has written over the years and it has helped a lot.

 

He talks about shinning them as soon as you take them off and I have found that shell warmed by your feet responds to brushing much better than "cold" shell. As soon as I walk in the door at home I walk back to the deep sink and take my shoes off. I use a toothbrush, run it under lukewarm water then clean the top of the welt and then the edge. I will usually run the brush under the water coming out of the tap several times keeping it pretty wet. Then dry them with a rag and use edge dressing if they need it wiping it off after 30 sec. to a minute. I do this with calf and shell both.

 

Water brushing-

Then I use a microfiber cloth that I soak and then squeeze out most of the water to wipe down the shoe. It will be more than damp but not quite soaking wet. Then brush with a dedicated brush for shell brushing for 3-5 minutes each shoe. The first pass I generally go over the whole shoe quickly spreading the water around till it is pretty much dry. Then I take my time and work in sections. Mac says it is all in the wrist and I have found that to be true, but hard to explain. The brush never leaves the shoe and I work it in more of a cross hatch pattern than just back and forth although I do both. Usually they are good to go after a few minutes and the last step when I am satisfied with the shine is to use a microfiber cloth and buff them for a final polish. 

 

If they have scuffs or the shell is dry after I do my first water brushing then I use a microfiber cloth and with one finger dip it in some reno and spread it on the shoe just like I am doing a final spit shine rubbing it in a circular motion. I do the shoe in sections then when done use another brush to level it out and brush the shoe just like water brushing. The Reno on AE (but not Alden's) will pick up cream and I work it into the scuffed sections. I had to do that twice on the 744's they were scuffed up pretty badly, but always have been able to recover them. Once the Reno is brushed where it levels the color out I keep brushing it for a few minutes. Then do another water brushing and final buff with the microfiber cloth.

 

Wish it was easier to explain, just keep at it and find what works for you. On the boots I took a break after about 15 minutes, I have found they have to rest in between major treatments. So I let them sit overnight and repeated the process the next day for about 30 minutes work total. On shell shoes and boots that sit in my closet for long periods without wearing I have found they lose some of the shine and the night before I wear them to work will take those out and wear them around the house for about half an hour. And then give them a water brushing to restore them. Normally 3-5 minutes total for each shoe is what I spend in time. My dress shoes and boots I keep well shined most all the time so it is doesn't take long to get the shine back up.

 

HTH if anything is not clear please let me know and I will do my best to explain it. 

post #35696 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

You don't yet have a derby, so the Kenilworth would certainly fill a hole.  On that front, you could check out the Leeds too.  I'm with those on this thread that wouldn't pair Daltons with a suit (I have Fifth Streets for that).  I really like the Fifth Avenues but I think they would overlap a little with your Strands.

 

Are you not into merlot/burgundy?  The Leeds in burgundy shell is a pretty penny but an absolutely gorgeous shoe.

Agree with this. They are my oldest shell shoes and still one of my favorites.

 

post #35697 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

You don't yet have a derby, so the Kenilworth would certainly fill a hole.  On that front, you could check out the Leeds too.  I'm with those on this thread that wouldn't pair Daltons with a suit (I have Fifth Streets for that).  I really like the Fifth Avenues but I think they would overlap a little with your Strands.

Are you not into merlot/burgundy?  The Leeds in burgundy shell is a pretty penny but an absolutely gorgeous shoe.

OR

Combine the two and get a burgundy Kenilworth!



Sorry, can't resist a chance to show off the new babies.
post #35698 of 51025
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

You don't yet have a derby, so the Kenilworth would certainly fill a hole.  On that front, you could check out the Leeds too.  I'm with those on this thread that wouldn't pair Daltons with a suit (I have Fifth Streets for that).  I really like the Fifth Avenues but I think they would overlap a little with your Strands.

Are you not into merlot/burgundy?  The Leeds in burgundy shell is a pretty penny but an absolutely gorgeous shoe.

I can't say that I'm a fan of merlot/burgundy shoes, although I can't really put my finger on what it is about them. I might just need to see them on my feet as just looking at them in store and online hasn't done anything for me. I'll have to take a look at the Leeds. I think if I got the Dalton's, they'd be used for casual wear. Whether they fill an actual need or not, they're some good looking boots.

Would a black cap toe(fifth ave) be a shoe worth considering at this point? My suits are grey or blue with the one black which I wear a cheap black cap toe if I need to wear that suit.
post #35699 of 51025



....the latest acquisition.
post #35700 of 51025

Ok, guys, I've done my due diligence through the search function, but....

 

WHERE IN THE HECK DO I FIND THE "MAC METHOD" of both break-in and polishing????

 

I drank the Kool-Aid and am enjoying some new AE and Alden shoes and boots (posts coming).  I'd like to avoid messing them up terribly, so some guidance would be helpful.  I have the trees, polishes/conditioner, etc., and 'think' I know kinda what I'm doing, but since y'all think so highly of Mac's methods (well founded I'm sure) I'd like to check them out.

 

Thanks for the help!  :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread