The same thing happened to my Alden #8 boots on the 3rd wearing, it is frustrating I hear you! I ended up ordering flat boot laces from TZ Laces in several different colors. They also sell round boot laces. Not cheap, but they have held up well so far.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 9/2/15 at 9:01pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 8/4/15 at 11:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2338
Styleforum Top Picks
I have a pair of AE Townleys in Brown shell. I also have cigar LHS from Alden. I can't peak for C&J.
I will say the AE shell tends to have more of a matte finish while the Alden is quite shinny. I like both, so I have both. You can see also the pair I just had recrafted is quite shiny.
The fact that you can get almost anything you want via a MTO with AE is something else!
There is nothing dubious about AE shell, at least to me. I have shell from AE, Alden, and RL Marlow which are made by C&J. As tampatravel said AE can be more of a matte finish out of the box but with time and work they can and will look like the others. Some differences in colors between them but overall I consider them to be the same quality shell.
Great choice on the Dundee's. I prefer them over the Alden 2 eye chukka on the Barrie last by far.
AE doesn't currently make a PTB in suede, which, as far as I am concerned, is a serious gap in their product range. Your option is likely an MTO, but keep in mind that the design of the eyestays on AE differs from that of Alden, so you won't be able to perfectly replicate the look. If you are set for Aldens, keep an eye on the Shoemart's seconds: I've routinely seen suede PTB on the lists Ive been getting.
On a related note, I do have AE navy suede PTB (Stewart for Lands End Canvas) and I think they are great. I also had a similar looking Paul Stuart suede PTB on a crepe sole and I didn't like it nearly as much as navy suede PTB. I think color does add a nice touch to the otherwise fairly plain shoe and elevates it on to a next level.
This is a great idea to look for seconds but I checked it out and the Shoemart does not ship Alden outside of the US and I am in Canada. I might have to look into a MTO or maybe just bite the bullet and grab the Alden PTB next time I see them on sale.
Those are AWESOME. Like tifosi said, I thought they were Navy at first glance. I'd love a pair in NAVY come to think of it.... I have to stop looking on here - ssssseriously.
Technically, you could order seconds through a regular retail AE location.
However, if you wish to deal directly with the outlet/factory store branch of the company, which seems logical for such purposes, you don't necessarily have to call the Port Washington ShoeBank. You could call any of these. They should have access to the same inventory, and many of them are open as late as 9pm during the week (but some close as early as 5-6pm some days). I'll list some of them here for future reference, but the information, with hours, is on the Allen Edmonds website.
-ShoeBank in Port Washington, WI (262-284-7158, email@example.com)
-ShoeBank 2 in Brookfield, WI (262-785-6666, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Tanger Outlets of Mebane, NC (919-563-2446, email@example.com)
-Tanger Outlets of Jeffersonville, OH (740-948-9033, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Tanger Outlets of Charleston, SC (843-747-4002, email@example.com)
-Tanger Outlets of Riverhead, NY (631-369-0947, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-The Outlet Shops of Grand River in Leeds, AL (205-699-6566, email@example.com)
-Outlet in Freeport, ME (207-865-6222, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Silver Sands Outlets in Destin, FL (850-654-4790, email@example.com)
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 42 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 56 seconds ago
- › The right shirt ? Brioni/kiton/turnball&asser else ? 1 minute ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 11 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015