The same thing happened to my Alden #8 boots on the 3rd wearing, it is frustrating I hear you! I ended up ordering flat boot laces from TZ Laces in several different colors. They also sell round boot laces. Not cheap, but they have held up well so far.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 5:51 am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- IC: REDISCOVER AMERICA Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Carlyle, University,... Last post on 10/30/14 at 6:06pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- *** FINAL PRICE DROP *** ALLEN EDMONDS CAMBRIDGE SHELL CORDOVAN. EXCELLENT CONDITION. SIZE 9 Last post on 4/16/13 at 11:59am in Marketplace
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2338
Styleforum Top Picks
I have a pair of AE Townleys in Brown shell. I also have cigar LHS from Alden. I can't peak for C&J.
I will say the AE shell tends to have more of a matte finish while the Alden is quite shinny. I like both, so I have both. You can see also the pair I just had recrafted is quite shiny.
The fact that you can get almost anything you want via a MTO with AE is something else!
There is nothing dubious about AE shell, at least to me. I have shell from AE, Alden, and RL Marlow which are made by C&J. As tampatravel said AE can be more of a matte finish out of the box but with time and work they can and will look like the others. Some differences in colors between them but overall I consider them to be the same quality shell.
Great choice on the Dundee's. I prefer them over the Alden 2 eye chukka on the Barrie last by far.
AE doesn't currently make a PTB in suede, which, as far as I am concerned, is a serious gap in their product range. Your option is likely an MTO, but keep in mind that the design of the eyestays on AE differs from that of Alden, so you won't be able to perfectly replicate the look. If you are set for Aldens, keep an eye on the Shoemart's seconds: I've routinely seen suede PTB on the lists Ive been getting.
On a related note, I do have AE navy suede PTB (Stewart for Lands End Canvas) and I think they are great. I also had a similar looking Paul Stuart suede PTB on a crepe sole and I didn't like it nearly as much as navy suede PTB. I think color does add a nice touch to the otherwise fairly plain shoe and elevates it on to a next level.
This is a great idea to look for seconds but I checked it out and the Shoemart does not ship Alden outside of the US and I am in Canada. I might have to look into a MTO or maybe just bite the bullet and grab the Alden PTB next time I see them on sale.
Those are AWESOME. Like tifosi said, I thought they were Navy at first glance. I'd love a pair in NAVY come to think of it.... I have to stop looking on here - ssssseriously.
Technically, you could order seconds through a regular retail AE location.
However, if you wish to deal directly with the outlet/factory store branch of the company, which seems logical for such purposes, you don't necessarily have to call the Port Washington ShoeBank. You could call any of these. They should have access to the same inventory, and many of them are open as late as 9pm during the week (but some close as early as 5-6pm some days). I'll list some of them here for future reference, but the information, with hours, is on the Allen Edmonds website.
-ShoeBank in Port Washington, WI (262-284-7158, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-ShoeBank 2 in Brookfield, WI (262-785-6666, email@example.com)
-Tanger Outlets of Mebane, NC (919-563-2446, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Tanger Outlets of Jeffersonville, OH (740-948-9033, email@example.com)
-Tanger Outlets of Charleston, SC (843-747-4002, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Tanger Outlets of Riverhead, NY (631-369-0947, email@example.com)
-The Outlet Shops of Grand River in Leeds, AL (205-699-6566, firstname.lastname@example.org)
-Outlet in Freeport, ME (207-865-6222, email@example.com)
-Silver Sands Outlets in Destin, FL (850-654-4790, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Ikea Monkey Presents: The Official 2014 Thrift Scavenger Hunt 7 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 18 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 30 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 40 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 44 seconds ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official Black Friday Sale Alert Central 2 minutes ago
- › NFL 2014-15 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...
- › How to Get What You Really Want This Holiday...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...