or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 232

post #3466 of 47206

For my wedding I am getting some AE's. 

 

I am wearing a navy fitzgerald by brooks brothers.  What AE's do you recommend I buy?  Yes I will be wearing black shoes with the navy suit, its basic dark navy, not light at all.  I want to be able to use them for work afterwards.  My office is business casual, not conservative at all.  Thanks! 

post #3467 of 47206

Dunno, it's a fiance internship.  I'd still say black dress shoes.  Unless you've been to their offices and know they have a relaxed dress code, say sport shirt and chinos as opposed to suits.  If so, you could probably do a merlot/burgundy shoe.

post #3468 of 47206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

Just bought my first pair of AE's - Park Avenue in Merlot. Really enjoying them a lot.
Couple of amateur questions - should I get them waterproofed, heeled, etc.? Basically, I have an excellent cobbler 5 minutes from where I live. Should I ask him to do anything?
I wear sneakers for my commute because I have about a mile walk to the train and then a 10 minute walk to work from there. Then I change into my dress shoes at the office. They're in perfect shape right now but eventually I'll be wearing them outside and do not want to see anything bad happen because I should have gotten something done to them.

I would be careful to which edits you make to the sole and heel on AEs. AE seems to be very specific that any changes to the sole or heel will void the re-crafting agreement. You might want to call them regarding any edits you are thinking of making, just to make sure you cover your bases.
post #3469 of 47206
Quote:
Originally Posted by irgator04 View Post

For my wedding I am getting some AE's. 

I am wearing a navy fitzgerald by brooks brothers.  What AE's do you recommend I buy?  Yes I will be wearing black shoes with the navy suit, its basic dark navy, not light at all.  I want to be able to use them for work afterwards.  My office is business casual, not conservative at all.  Thanks! 

I feel like you are afforded some leniency in regards to a less than formal wedding. Navy really does look great with brown shoes, and would seem fitting for the joyous event of your wedding, also moonlighting for business casual for work. The spectrum of styles is open to you really, as long as you stick to some form of lace-up.

Regardless, enjoy your wedding, and congrats.
post #3470 of 47206
Finance Interview - black fifth avenues hands down. I think you could get away with brown/merlot but not with the two options you have (obviously depending on the firm, but I think safe is best for interviews).

As for the wedding question -- I would suggest Burnished Brown Fifth Avenues. They are, thus far, my favorite shoe to wear with my navy suits.
post #3471 of 47206
Don't be a schmuck...interview = black dress shoes.
post #3472 of 47206

Dunno, if I was 20 something interviewing with a start up tech company, I might go in a vintage t-shirt, jeans, and work boots  .  .  .

post #3473 of 47206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmanouk View Post

Don't be a schmuck...interview = black dress shoes.


+1

 

I once interviewed a guy who came in wearing wingtips and acted like he owned the place saying "I could do this job with one hand tied behind my back." 

 

I was thinking to myself, that we should get some rope. 

 

Bottom line, any shoes not understated will throw off an impression of pompousness for an interview. 

post #3474 of 47206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Dunno, if I was 20 something interviewing with a start up tech company, I might go in a vintage t-shirt, jeans, and work boots  .  .  .


 

I once interviewed a 20 something tech guy, surfer dude who came in wearing cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and sandals.

 

He said he could never be in before 1030AM because he surfs every morning. 

 

Did he get hired? Nope. 

post #3475 of 47206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post



 
I once interviewed a 20 something tech guy, surfer dude who came in wearing cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and sandals.

He said he could never be in before 1030AM because he surfs every morning. 

Did he get hired? Nope. 

some of those guys are the best coders you can find, although most of them work better in startups
post #3476 of 47206

There is a growing trend of casualness.  I saw snippets of the Apple iPad event.  I saw executives wearing jeans and untucked shirts.  Of course, Steve Jobs did his jeans and black turtleneck thing, but he was so consistent it looked like a uniform.  Then of course, this guy (below).  So I wonder sometimes if I really need black PAs to interview with some of these companies.

 

Mark-Zuckerberg.jpg

post #3477 of 47206
^What if the other way around? What if the 20 something is interviewing you? Then what? I ask because I may have an interview w/ a gaming company. A suit would probably remind him of his grandfather. Do you still wear a suit with black shoes?

I had no idea that burgundy shoes, say a burgundy or #8 captoe, would be inappropriate for an interview. I've never worked in finance or law though. Also, I'm in the Bay Area and even in downtown SF you're more apt to see square bicycle toed shoes than anything else.
post #3478 of 47206
^^ Sartorial matters are probably not even on their radar, I would guess any dress shoe would ring old fashion to them. So might as well go standard black, if you are doing dress shoes for interviews. I might be wrong though, maybe Mark Zuckerburg enjoys a nice pair of walnut brogues...
post #3479 of 47206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad View Post

^What if the other way around? What if the 20 something is interviewing you? Then what? I ask because I may have an interview w/ a gaming company. A suit would probably remind him of his grandfather. Do you still wear a suit with black shoes?
I had no idea that burgundy shoes, say a burgundy or #8 captoe, would be inappropriate for an interview. I've never worked in finance or law though. Also, I'm in the Bay Area and even in downtown SF you're more apt to see square bicycle toed shoes than anything else.

Luckily you have the beautiful SF landscape to distract you from the horrific squared toe shoe infestation biggrin.gif

And here I thought San Fran was classy...
post #3480 of 47206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad View Post

^What if the other way around? What if the 20 something is interviewing you? Then what? I ask because I may have an interview w/ a gaming company. A suit would probably remind him of his grandfather. Do you still wear a suit with black shoes?
I had no idea that burgundy shoes, say a burgundy or #8 captoe, would be inappropriate for an interview. I've never worked in finance or law though. Also, I'm in the Bay Area and even in downtown SF you're more apt to see square bicycle toed shoes than anything else.

If I was interviewing at a gaming company, I would probably go with one of those "smart casual" outfits from JCrew. Slim chinos, gingham shirt, etc.

There tends to be more of a feeling on SF for the ultra-conservative dress of finance/law. I could easily get by in my industry without a pair of black shoes. Also, nobody would delete my contact info if I wore bluchers with a suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread