or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2277

post #34141 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biogon35 View Post
 

My new Fifth Avenues in Bourbon.  Really liking them.  

 

 

Those look really, really nice...the leaves and the stone are a nice touch...I think the Bourbon Mora 2.0's I just got are the most beautiful shoes I own. 

 

Still kinda disappointed that the bourbon isnt an actual leather color though...just a polish.  But oh well, I guess anything is better than a generic brown.

post #34142 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biogon35 View Post
 

My new Fifth Avenues in Bourbon.  Really liking them.  

 

 

Those look great. Wish there was a little more flair to them though.

post #34143 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Just did a little TLC on my Chili McAllisters, Tan Bradys, and Walnut Strands. nod[1].gif

Wish I could figure out how to spit shine, maybe I just don't have the patience for it.

Any of you use AE's colored carnauba wax?

 

I've used the colored and neutral AE wax before. The black works okay on black shoes, but I stick to the neutral for the best results. 

 

I get a pretty good mirror shine on most of my shoes using it. It takes a good amount of patience the first time, but afterwards you get used to it. The Official Shoe Care thread on SF is pretty helpful. I'd read the first few pages as they have good advice on a mirror shine.

 

Indoor shot is poor, but pretty decent mirror on my PAs. 

 

post #34144 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post
 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I've used the colored and neutral AE wax before. The black works okay on black shoes, but I stick to the neutral for the best results. 

 

I get a pretty good mirror shine on most of my shoes using it. It takes a good amount of patience the first time, but afterwards you get used to it. The Official Shoe Care thread on SF is pretty helpful. I'd read the first few pages as they have good advice on a mirror shine.

 

Indoor shot is poor, but pretty decent mirror on my PAs. 

 

 

A suggestion, stick to only bull polishing on the toe and heel. Neutral wax will eventually collect in the creases of the vamp and you'll get whiteness that accentuates creasing. 

post #34145 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhyy View Post

A suggestion, stick to only bull polishing on the toe and heel. Neutral wax will eventually collect in the creases of the vamp and you'll get whiteness that accentuates creasing. 

Yup. I agree. I only use reno and some AE premium polish (sparingly) on the other areas other than the toe and heel.
post #34146 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post


Yup. I agree. I only use reno and some AE premium polish (sparingly) on the other areas other than the toe and heel.

Oh, it looked like you used neutral on the vamp with the shine. Nice work. 

post #34147 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhyy View Post

Oh, it looked like you used neutral on the vamp with the shine. Nice work. 

Thanks. I think it's just some weird lighting and some specks of dust that might make it appear that way.
post #34148 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin782 View Post
 

 

Still kinda disappointed that the bourbon isnt an actual leather color though...just a polish.  But oh well, I guess anything is better than a generic brown.

 

What exactly do you mean by this? i.e., is it that easy to turn any pair of walnut AEs into bourbon?

post #34149 of 49593
Bourbon is just Walnut Calfskin Leather that they polish on the Black Burnishing Wheel. As opposed to being a specific dyed color like Walnut, Merlot, Brown or Black.

I actually think it's cool how they get creative to make new colors, but I understand where you are coming from here. Cause the effect probably fades with time and is harder to maintain.

-Mike
post #34150 of 49593

Thanks.  Would love to see a pic of your new Mora 2.0s.

 

I like brown too, once it ages a bit through wear.  Regarding Bourbon as a leather color, I heard that it starts as Walnut but undergoes a darkening process that includes application of black coloring (but don't hold me to that 100%).  Works for me.

post #34151 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Bourbon is just Walnut Calfskin Leather that they polish on the Black Burnishing Wheel. As opposed to being a specific dyed color like Walnut, Merlot, Brown or Black.

I actually think it's cool how they get creative to make new colors, but I understand where you are coming from here. Cause the effect probably fades with time and is harder to maintain.

-Mike

 

Gotcha. I'd imagine it's not that easy for the average joe to turn a pair of walnut shoes into bourbons without the burnishing wheel.

post #34152 of 49593

Sorry, the above was in the wrong place and slightly redundant.  Still figuring out how to post here...

post #34153 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850csi View Post
 

 

Gotcha. I'd imagine it's not that easy for the average joe to turn a pair of walnut shoes into bourbons without the burnishing wheel.

 

Never thought of trying, but if you had some beater shoes that you didn't care about you could do a light application of Black polish on them and brush, brush, brush.

 

-M

post #34154 of 49593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Bourbon is just Walnut Calfskin Leather that they polish on the Black Burnishing Wheel. As opposed to being a specific dyed color like Walnut, Merlot, Brown or Black.

I actually think it's cool how they get creative to make new colors, but I understand where you are coming from here. Cause the effect probably fades with time and is harder to maintain.

-Mike

 

AE used to recommend black polish for bourbon, but they now have bourbon polish - might make maintenance easier.

post #34155 of 49593

BTW, for those who like bourbon, yesterday I was at the AE store here in New Orleans and saw the bourbon Daltons in person for the first time - absolutely beautiful color.  Also checked out the new Carson City boot.  All they had was the black distressed leather.  Very unimpressed.  The leather feels cheap and they look like hell.  They are very lightweight, if that's your thing, but otherwise I'd say they basically have nothing going for them.  The list price is only $45 less than the Dalton, which is absurd - I don't even think they're worth the $197 sale price.  OTOH, judging by the website photos, the other color versions may be more impressive.

 

Ultimately I was a baaad wittle boy yesterday.  Ordered two pairs of shell Daltons.  One was the burgundy from Sherman Brothers - they're offering 15% off with the code "gobbler".  They claimed to have 9.5 Es in stock but I've ordered from them before only to be told the following day that they were out of stock, so we'll see.  The other was 10 D walnuts from Pelle Line.  I know the 10.5 D in the calf is too big for me, so I'm hoping for the best with the smaller size.  They're offering $75 off orders of $450 or more, and $200 off orders of $1,000.  That plus the fact that they were offering them for $675 before the discount instead of $695 was all the incentive I needed (as if I needed any more).  If they work out I'll be selling my walnut calf 9.5Es.  Seconds, but barely worn and defects are basically unnoticeable.

 

FYI, Pelle Line appears to have one more pair of walnut shells in 9.5 D.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread