or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2255

post #33811 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


Those look splendid! I'm right now having Bayfields made up in that tan dublin leather and was wondering how they'd look after an application of HDLP. Can I trouble you to post some after pictures?

I sure can, will post some pics in the next few days when I get around to applying the LP

post #33812 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

These are my Walnut Shell Daltons from a few weeks ago.

 

Thanks for the pic, do you ever roll them higher to show more boot?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post
 

 

Google image search... it's your friend.


 

Disclaimer: These are not my images. (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ive seen some of those pics, but Im trying to get a good idea for how to cuff/wear jeans and show the boot without them being super tight like with those walnut daltons in that picture.

 

 

Has anyone worn their pants tucked into their daltons? Im starting to think that wouldnt work because they are too tight around the ankle...

post #33813 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Mine is like this as well. But the leather is so much thicker and sturdier than calf, so I'm not worried about the toe box maintaining shape...

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

I'm not too worried either, but just thought it interesting. I don't have creases on the toe so I think I'll be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post
 

 

Sadly you know my answer.

 

:freeze:

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post


Hey Teal, Mike should be able to tell you more, but in the meantime I'll say that I don't think it's related to Independence lining. My stock shell cordovan Daltons had the same soft toe. Unfortunately I've read that it can lead to some odd creasing.

Ps - how are you liking the McAllisters? Also I know I owe you a pm!

 

I don't think it is the lining either. I was told by Allison that the toebox used for shell and calf are the same, which makes me more curious. My shell Daltons are actually pretty stiff on the toebox, but the tip of the wingtip has a crease, which I think is common on the Dalton.  It's pretty slight.

 

I'm liking the McAllisters and they fit well!

post #33814 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post
 

Thought you guys might like to see a pair of AE's I bought in 1982..

AppleMark

Yes, those kicks are 31 years old, my first pair.

Sweet. Are these cordovan?


You know, I have never checked, not sure how to tell on a shoe this old?? They are fully lined so there is not a place to see the stamp.

post #33815 of 53438
Leather soles will hold up much better than you might give them credit in snow and wet. They are actually tanned specifically to be durable, and people have been wearing them in all sorts of conditions forever. If you don't believe that, go take a look at the shit (some) people put their W1K's and OSB Trench Boots through. They handle it just fine. That said, calfskin Daltons won't be great in snow/rain because calfskin isn't great in it. But shell Daltons will hold up just fine, and don't need any treatment unless you want them to be waterproof. The waterproofing isn't to protect the shell as much as it protects your feet from getting wet. Otherwise, shell will dry just fine, and buff up nicely even without waterproofing.
post #33816 of 53438

I've worn plenty of both - when it comes to grip on ice and snow, synthetics soles rule. There's a reason almost every dedicated winter boot comes on a synthetic sole.

post #33817 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Leather soles will hold up much better than you might give them credit in snow and wet. They are actually tanned specifically to be durable, and people have been wearing them in all sorts of conditions forever. If you don't believe that, go take a look at the shit (some) people put their W1K's and OSB Trench Boots through. They handle it just fine. That said, calfskin Daltons won't be great in snow/rain because calfskin isn't great in it. But shell Daltons will hold up just fine, and don't need any treatment unless you want them to be waterproof. The waterproofing isn't to protect the shell as much as it protects your feet from getting wet. Otherwise, shell will dry just fine, and buff up nicely even without waterproofing.

My personal beef isn't about the durability of leather soles in the rain. It's about epic wipeouts on smooth concrete or down steps to the subway platform.

I wore my butyl leather soles mctavish to London recently and (imagine that) it was rainy for most of the trip. I was slipping and sliding all over the sidewalks and cobblestone streets of Kings Cross.

Big mistake.
post #33818 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

 

Didn't people wear boots in the snow before rubber was invented without a hitch?

I don't know how they did it doc....I honestly don't know.  ha ha  It was probably before smooth floors went mainstream. 

post #33819 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post


You know, I have never checked, not sure how to tell on a shoe this old?? They are fully lined so there is not a place to see the stamp.

Do they have little micro-lines and creases. If they do they are calf, if they have larger creases then they are shell. It's really hard to tell in the lighting of the picture.

-Mike
post #33820 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post
 

I don't know how they did it doc....I honestly don't know.  ha ha  It was probably before smooth floors went mainstream.

I was about to say, it was probably when people people were walking on dirt paths and cobblestones :D

post #33821 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
 

 

Thanks for the pic, do you ever roll them higher to show more boot?

 

I don't roll them up higher, but that is due to that not being my personal style. I am sure it looks fine, but its just not for me. 

post #33822 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post
 


You know, I have never checked, not sure how to tell on a shoe this old?? They are fully lined so there is not a place to see the stamp.

 

if you can grab a daytime pic of the front of the shoe, up close, it should be fairly easy to establish the type of leather

post #33823 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post
 

My chocolate brown Daltons have arrived. I really like them. Being on the 1 last they aren't "sleek" but I knew that going in. I also wear an 8E so a bit wide and not that long which I'm sure contributes to the "fatter" look. It'll be interesting to see how they look with dress pants or a suit. I really love the color.

 

We got some strong wind and rain here the other day so you'll notice the (dead) potted, toppled shrub in the background.

 

 

By far my most favorite color Daltons. How did you size these compared to the Strand or McAllister?

post #33824 of 53438

Looks like the Merlot Strand is now part of their everyday lineup.

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1

 

I approve!

post #33825 of 53438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

 

Has anyone worn their pants tucked into their daltons? Im starting to think that wouldnt work because they are too tight around the ankle...

 

I believe there's an antiquated Texas law that makes it illegal to tuck your pants into your boots unless you own at least ten head of cattle.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread